The "Things that annoy me" thread

Is that a mid-westerner issue? I still think of things I did years ago that no longer matter, then sit and chew on it awhile.

It could very well be.

Here's the latest example:
I always wanted to build a couple guitars. In my head, when the time comes (hopefully by the end of this year I'l lbuild my first one), I've thought about the "brand name" and logo design I wanted on it. A couple of years ago, I ordered a custom guitar from AliExpress and was able to put on a custom logo. So, I designed a logo, and had it put on this guitar. At the same time, I've also always wanted to assemble a simple tube amplifier, and 2 pedals, all from kits. But again, I like the idea of putting a "brand" name and logo on them.

Fast forward to today. I'm ordering a dust cover for my floor pedal/amp modeller. And the company that makes the covers lets you put a custom embroiderd patch on it for no upcharge.

And I'm torn.

This floor pedal unit takes the place of both an amplifier and effects pedals, in one unit. So...do I use my made-up "amp" company name, or my made-up "effects" company name?

I keep going back and forth on it. The "effects" one makes the most sense, but...I like the "amp" name better.

And the stupidest part of it all: OK, so you can't trademark a name without having a bonafide use of it. If you register it just to hold it, you lose it pretty quickly. So I don't have the names registered. But I feel like if the names got out, they would get snapped up pretty quickly, and I could never use them. But...i've already got one of them on that AliExpress guitar...which I really want to sell, but...it's got *my* logo on it. :lol:

My spare-time mental bandwidth had been completely hogged by this 3.5cmx12cm embroidered patch situation. :lol:

When you go to a store where the checkout staff have handheld barcode scanners, you present them with six identical items, and the idiot picks up and scans each one individually and slowly instead of picking up just one and pulling the trigger six times.

in some stores that's forbidden by the employer

electric breakers for instance, all boxes are the same, yet prices can vary tremendously
taking 5 expensive ones, and handing the cashier the cheaper one you bought would give you a mega discount...

if you just have 6 cans of coke on the other hand, i do get your frustration :)

In some stores, the only way to key-in a qty is to enter a manager code.

Ordered magnets on Amazon on Monday night, and they arrived 11 hours after submitting the order, free shipping (with my Prime account).
Ordered magnets on ebay on Wednesday. Got an email today that they *should* arrive by april. with $3 shipping.

In some stores, the only way to key-in a qty is to enter a manager code.

Ordered magnets on Amazon on Monday night, and they arrived 11 hours after submitting the order, free shipping (with my Prime account).
Ordered magnets on ebay on Wednesday. Got an email today that they *should* arrive by april. with $3 shipping.

Is this how they were delivered?

http://img.memecdn.com/magnets_o_1078910.jpg

So, what are all the magnets for?

Is this how they were delivered?

http://img.memecdn.com/magnets_o_1078910.jpg

So, what are all the magnets for?

Ha, I wish!

At work, we no longer have dedicated desks because our staff has out-grown the amount we can afford to spend on San Francisco real estate, and most people only *need* a desk a couple days a week (note: the people who really do need a desk every day do have dedicated desks). We're (almost) all "free address". They did give us lockers that have more cubic volume for storage than we had at our old desks, but we used to have drawers. The locker is just a 3ft tall, blank steel box with a locking door. no shelves, hooks, bars, or drawers..so there's there's only about 1.5 sqft of useable "surface" space to place anything without piling it in huge stack.

I can't permanemtly modify anything, so I'm hoping to use strong magnets as shelf brackets and a couple coat hooks. Securing the magnets to some wooden blocks, and placing a plywood shelf on them.

Thankfully there's a sheet of MDF between the locker towers, so I don't feel like I'll damage or disrupt anything in the neighboring lockers. At least...that's the plan.

If this doesn't work, I'll make a plywood drawer/shelf unit for the bottom, and then leave the top half open for larger items, I guess. I tried shopping for cheap plastic drawers, but most were either too wide (so that the drawer couldn't open through the locker door opening), or too small, and not an efficient use of the space..

Pretty sure I’ve bitched about this before, but oh well.... GM products that illuminate their taillights when the engine is turned off. Was just looking for parking in a crowded busy area and saw 4 different GMs with their reverse lights on. Thought they were all leaving, but nope, they all had just gotten there.

Pretty sure I’ve bitched about this before, but oh well.... GM products that illuminate their taillights when the engine is turned off. Was just looking for parking in a crowded busy area and saw 4 different GMs with their reverse lights on. Thought they were all leaving, but nope, they all had just gotten there.

I’d love to know the rationale to why this is a thing. First time I saw it was the a 2000s impala...

Puddle lighting?

When GM cars are parked and the driver opens their door, the reversing lights come on. I wouldn’t consider them puddle lights.

A friend at GM once told me that its to have the same effect as puddle lighting without the need for extra hardware. So that you can see what you’re stepping into as you walk away or approach. Was introduced in the 2000s and just stuck around since all cars have to have reverse lights.

When GM cars are parked and the driver opens their door, the reversing lights come on. I wouldn’t consider them puddle lights.

For entering, keyless entry maybe, so the unlock portion of opening the doors is what activates the puddle lights?
For leaving, opening the door turns on the puddle lights so you can see the way from the door to the trunk.

...using the reversing light is weird though, I'd use the number plate lights.

Parking lights, I could understand. but the reversing lights? That seems like an odd choice.

Or...I feel like more cars used to have lights on the insides of the doors, so that an approaching car could see that a door is open. I remember my parent's explrer having white and red. Are these lights intending to be something like that? A light so that you can at least see that there's a car there? Maybe...just trying to rationalize it.

Last edited:
I bought a new pack of pens right after Christmas, 6 gel pens, nothing real fancy. I needed one a few minutes ago and went to my computer desk to grab one and they are gone. What was left there to write with? One dead pen...

I bought a new pack of pens right after Christmas, 6 gel pens, nothing real fancy. I needed one a few minutes ago and went to my computer desk to grab one and they are gone. What was left there to write with? One dead pen...

Vanishing pens is a worldwide phenomenon.

Vanishing pens is a worldwide phenomenon.

I moved one to another desk, and a second was given back to me. I am pretty sure I know who walked off with the other 4.

If you're losing pens you probably need to speak to a chap called Veet Voojagig.

This most recent Saturday I was in a mood. It wasn’t helped that Saturday was my “drop everything and catch whatever it is I had my hand on so many things. I wish my dog could understand thatI wasn’t mad at him but his leash that looped around my car’s handbrake. I ended up throwing it onto the passenger floor. I had also forgotten my credit card at the restaurant I picked up take out food from on Friday. I had to call the place (after checking recent charges and that was the last place the night before) which I was put on hold for 10 minutes. I hung up and just drove over there. I got it but I was just so pissed off with people on the road choosing 40mph as their preferred speed no matter if the limit was 25 or 50mph. So I end up passing these people when you get out of towns and then they tailgate you doing the “hey do you see me?” swerve once we got into a town.

Ending the day with playing games with friends online helped calm me down.

So yesterday it was time to address the job I've been putting off for ages, namely decorating our landing, stairway and hallway. Which involves undercoating then gloss painting six room doors, one large cupboard door, the loft hatch, all their frames and surrounds, the skirting boards, the balustrade and the hand rail before I can put any colour on the walls.

And before painting the whole lot had to be sanded and washed down with sugar soap solution.

By the time I was done I could have applied for associate membership to the Weeping Angels, and my nose is still producing boogers that look like they've come out of King Tut's tomb.