The "Things that annoy me" thread

I'm annoyed (once again) from the fact that the TV series Firefly only had one season and I just watched the last episode of that season. This means there's only the movie Serenity to watch before running out of awesomeness. :(

I'm annoyed (once again) from the fact that the TV series Firefly only had one season and I just watched the last episode of that season. This means there's only the movie Serenity to watch before running out of awesomeness. :(

The movie is essentially the rest of the series compressed into a couple hours. So at least you'll get some closer.

I know, I've seen it many times already and won't get tired of it. :)

That was a good show, I always felt embarrassed sharing it with other people though. A space western? wtf? I knew it was all fantasy, my father wanted to watch it with me once and I could tell he had no idea what was going on, but didn't have the heart to say anything.

That said, Serenity was sad AF. I can't get over when Wash dies and hearing his wife cry out. It's in my head. :(

As of EOD tomorrow, I'm out of a job. Position is being eliminated. I'm sort of a right-hand-man sort of support for folks with a more-important revenue-creating skillset, so they need to keep those other folks.

Sucks, becaues just 3 weeks ago, I passed th 4-year mark, meaning I was just going to start earning a 3rd week of vacation/year, up from 2.

^Sorry man. :(

Got a call from a guy in Brooklyn yesterday needing parts because oh my gosh the bakery needs to run. Come to find out today that the parts I sent won't work because they're rated for 120V control and not 230V. No shit, we're in a different country and you bought a cheap oven from Poland. Not my problem. So this afternoon, an old european guy calls me saying he does work for the bakery and to see if I can help him get the correct parts in 230V. I tell him by law I am not allowed to and I won't get support from my colleges if I try. He goes "why do you talk like this big legal thing? I will take full responsibility, you can record that. I know what I'm doing, back in my country, I fixed a plane while in the air." Good for you man, now please understand that I can't help. I'm told not to. Should something happen at that facility I do not need to be named.

I know that in the end, it's a pressure switch and it's not like they do different things. The internal circuity is what the problem is. It's not about the amperage, but how well the circuitry can insulate and higher voltage on lower voltage rated equipment will fuck up.

Last edited:
Sometimes programmers want to see the world burn, don't they? :censored:

I had to set up E-Mail notifications for a firewall, the customer has a Microsoft Exchange Server. The notifications are supposed to be sent to internal users only. Easy peasy you might think, just enter the IP address of the Exchange server, activate TLS (because unencrypted transport should be a no-no nowadays), enter a valid user/password combination and away you go.

Nope...

1) The firewall log just shows the line "Alert email send status failed" without showing why it failed (no connection/authentication error/whatever)
2) The Exchange SMTP receive log states "Authentication successful", then a line "Local", afterwards the log just stops

What was the issue? The friggin' authentication apparently doesn't work. If I tell the firewall to not authenticate (send as anonymous user) it works. The E-Mail is processed by the same receive connector, according to the settings in the Exchange server both authenticated users and anonymous users are allowed to use that receive connector, but apparently an authenticated user can't send E-Mails to an internal user... :censored:

So you’re still encrypted? It just comes up as “Anonymous User” when stuff is sent?

Yes. No.

Longer explanation: encryption has nothing to do with authentication and authentication has little to do with the sending E-Mail address.

Encryption is scrambling data with something only the receiving side can decrypt. The sending server contacts the receiving server and asks "hey, can you give me your certificate (or something else) so I can encrypt the data I want to send you?", then the receiving server answers with "yes, here you are" and sends over whatever it is the sending server has to use to encrypt. The receiving server (and only the receiving server) then has a corresponding private key to decrypt the data, that private key stays on the receiving server.

Authentication is sending over a username and password (or other means of authentication), the receiving server checks if that username and password are allowed to connect in the first place. Only when the connection is authenticated you might be able to connect from outside and send E-Mails to other users outside that receiving server. Your E-Mail client does that all the time when you send E-Mails and you can set it up to send either unencrypted or encrypted, depending on the requirements of your provider (=receiving server) as well.
Theoretically you can set up your E-Mail client to authenticate with your username (E-Mail address) and password, but a completely different display name. If the receiving server doesn't check that display name the receiver could show your E-Mail as being sent from me or any other E-Mail address.

You can set up a receiving server to accept anonymous (non-authenticated) connections as well, but those are usually set up in a way you can only send E-Mails sent via those connections to internal users. For example: a mail server which hosts finalgear.com mail addresses accepts incoming mails directed to finalgear.com addresses, but not to microsoft.com addresses, unless the sending server provided a valid username/password combination. Otherwise the server would be an open mail relay so people could connect anonymously from outside and send E-Mails to other users outside that E-Mail system.
The "mail from" field is (kind of) required though so even if a non-authenticated connection is used there is a sending E-Mail address.

Last edited:
TLS won't work with IP addresses. You might be able to get away with turning off verifying the cert.

I would often travel for work, and have to work odd hours, and sometimes would find myself in a 7-11 for a drink or snack. I'm not too proud to admit that I'd partake in an occasional Go-Go-Taquito.

But how it is that they don't have Italian (American) flavors like Pepperoni Pizza or "Garlic 3 Cheese" (mozzerella, parm and provalone) or Supreme Pizza?

They are a crusty bready wrap, cheese, meat and a little sauce. How hard could it be to make pizza flavors? Am i crazy, or would a Pepperoni Pizza taquito not instantly become their best seller? 50% of Hot Pocket's top four sellers (#2 and #4) are pizza varieties.

Hell, I've even seen "Cordon Bleu" Taquitos there, and yet: no Pepperoni Pizza.

WTF, 7-11.

At this point, I've long ago lost hope for just a simple "ham and cheese", even though it's actually Hot Pocket's #1 biggest seller. (to complete the list of top 4 since i've already named three of them, #3 is Philly Cheesesteak, which is pretty close to one of the 7-11 Taquitos, Steak & Cheese.)

Also, I had to laugh when I was double-checking with google to make sure i wasn't calling them out for not doing something they had already done, and I came across this search result. Are...are people actually asking this? *facepalm*

1595269105244.png

Went to the grocery store late in the evening. Cycled home. Inhaled some sort of insect. Not sure if I spat it out or washed it down or if it’s still stuck somewhere.

So I wear a goddamn face mask in any public enclosed space and whenever I am near strangers outside, but I still get annoyed by something that it would definitely have prevented.

I found out I'm not allergic to bee stings when one flew into my mouth as a kid when I was riding down a huge hill (could hit 40mph on a bicycle going down this hill) and got stung on my tongue, before I bit down on it, and spit out bee chunks.

I found out I'm not allergic to bee stings when one flew into my mouth as a kid when I was riding down a huge hill (could hit 40mph on a bicycle going down this hill) and got stung on my tongue, before I bit down on it, and spit out bee chunks.

And the bee found out it was allergic to human bites!

The listing prices on used tools on my local Craigslist and FB marketplace.

No, I'm not going to pay you $20 more than new retail for your used tool "because wont have to spend hours assembling the stand".

Don't worry, the JB Weld will hold the high speed saw blade.

I lost power again. Estimated restoration is about 6 hours away...

This happened in early June too. I need to get solar panels and a battery pack!