The "Things that annoy me" thread

Oh my god, it's 4 days before Christmas, FFS. We're never apart, and only going out to grocery shop together. Stop asking me "What did you get?" and "What was that package?" every time an unmarked box gets delivered to the house with my name on it. :ROFLMAO:

This. This so much. I purposely will get go my present tomorrow, and hide it in my car until Xmas eve. Because she’s one of those ‘let’s pick up every package that isn’t mine and shake, weigh, and contemplate what it could be’ people. Drives me nuts

that's why you have retired parents
i never let a package arrive at my house

(and i have 2 brothers and a sister, each with partner, and everyone just enters my parents adress as delivery, you should see the stack of boxes sometimes :D)

that's why you have retired parents
i never let a package arrive at my house

(and i have 2 brothers and a sister, each with partner, and everyone just enters my parents address as delivery, you should see the stack of boxes sometimes :D)
This is why I used to have most of that sent to work (parents live 2,000 miles away)...when I had a job. :(

I'm surprised more companies didn't adopt the Amazon locker idea, they seem to work well. The fact that they're inside shops here means your shit shouldn't get stolen, it's fairly awkward having to go into the shop and walk straight through the checkouts without buying anything to get to the locker though. :p

The good thing about working from home is I'm at home is I am at home for receiving packages. I should order more things.

In the good old days, my colleagues (and me too, but I order stuff very rarely anyway) had our stuff delievered to our offices frequently. Slightly less secure though, because many people in the building...
A few years ago I saw first a set of winter tyres being delivered there, then a couple of weeks later a mattress. I took that as things getting a little out of hand. :D

That's true, but I've received a ton of texts saying "you weren't home" while I could see the van leaving from my bedroom window... They dont even bother with ringing the bell nowadays, they just dump it on the porch and fuck off.

Thing is : my wife orders pretty much everything online, so she is aware of each and every package that should be coming in.
Anything that she didn't order is by process of elimination a present for her...

View attachment 3559584

Only a $5,000 training case that UPS can't return to me for some reason. Filed a claim as this was sent to the customer over Thanksgiving, never made it and since the training course has been completed, I want it back.

The trainees have the other 2 and I'm only slightly pissed they haven't sent them back yet either. That's another story.

UPS Update today: "Package could not be located for intercept."

Fuuuuuck

Does that mean that FedEx gained possession?

Sorry for the bad football(handegg) reference.

Youtube. Almos my whole home "recommended videos" page is 1-2 year old videos I've already seen. So I select one I want to remove from this list, click "hide recommendation", and instead of just removing that one single video from my suggested videos, it says "Thank you, we will recalibrate your recomendations". Ugh...so now it removed all recommended videos from that channel. That's not what I wanted!!

These days I only rely on subscriptions and maybe the top one or two recommended videos that appear while watching something. Most of the channels I really want to watch come through Patreon anyway.

I had the idea the other day for a video streaming service that doesn't have any music and instead links in with Spotify to play music at the right times, or give you the option of substituting it with music of your choice. It was after someone mentioned leaving music out because we all have different tastes.

YouTube becomes more and more unusable vor me. The best way to use it for me is actually search favourites in the Kodi plugin.

I’ve been switching over from using the app in my cheap tv to watch YouTube stuff to my laptop. Ad blocking is a requirement to make any it usable now.

I'm kinda split when it comes to ad blockers.

In one hand, they're beyond any doubt useful and practically necessary on some sites, YouTube being one of them. On the other hand, the least I could do to support some smaller YT channels I watch is to leave my ad blocker off, which is why I don't even have one installed right now.

I'm kinda split when it comes to ad blockers.

In one hand, they're beyond any doubt useful and practically necessary on some sites, YouTube being one of them. On the other hand, the least I could do to support some smaller YT channels I watch is to leave my ad blocker off, which is why I don't even have one installed right now.
That went out the window for me as soon as YouTube changed their policy to "the ads we put on videos won't always provide revenue to the person who made this video."

Didn't know about that particular detail. Well, I'll do some more research on how things work with YT ad revenue, but I think I'm going back to an ad blocker.

The YouTube recommendation list has been broken for some time. It constantly shows me videos I have already watched, many of them the same day. It has also recommended that I watch the same video twice in the same list.

the suckiness of the search function on the website of the hardware store chain that has a shop five minutes from where I live

Every single time I try to find something, it takes me into an incomprehensible thicket of categories, product names and filters that makes me want to remove the programmers’ access to coffee for life. Or at least punch them. And when I do eventually find something similar to what I want, I can never trust that I didn’t miss the correct item because the results for “thingamajig” almost certainly don’t include thingamabobs.

Result: I’ve started ordering stupid stuff on Amazon because their search function works. A 24 pack of screw hooks for the price of an 8 pack in the hardware store, for example.

i disabled my voice mail, and i have never ever left a message on a voice mail, the moment it picks up, i kill the connection
i hate voicemail

The voicemail service is another way of saying "the person you're trying to call can't be reached".

Mobile providers love to give you voicemail service when you open an account with them, or when they upgrade your plan, or whatever. I don't understand why because I don't know a single person that would leave a message on one of those stupid things.

My work-issued phone (which is the only phone I have) has voicemail feature that can't be turned off and every time I get a message there, it's a 3-second clip with nothing on it because the person trying to call me didn't end the call fast enough.

These are the bottom edges of two halves of a bi-fold closet door, showing just how uneven the floor is. This is the height difference just across a single 36" wide doorway. Fucking contractor...ugh.
20201227_160816.jpg

A follow up.

The instructions said to line up the top edges of both doors, which I did. Once I got the center hinges installed, I noticed that the actual pattern in the doors don't align very accurately. It's probably off by 1/8". Which is annoying as frig, because the door is already a little short, and don't have the "room" to trim another 1/8" off the top of the one door.

Especially annoying, because these were two 18" halves of a single 36" folding door, that were shrink-wrapped/packaged all together in one unit.

But I'm also worried about the hinges. This kit is meant to hang from a top-mounted track, and the hinging action on the side being handled by a pivot pin. I'm not able to use that, which means I needed to cut some hinge mortises. In cutting them, I'm noticing that this hollow core door's structural perimeter frame is fairly soft MDF. I'm actually fairly worried that the hinge screws will pull out. I've already gone overboard and using 4 hinges instead of 3 so that should help in theory, but....ugh... do I maybe replace one screw on each hinge with a toggle bolt that extends into the hollow cavity, to anchor itself on the inside face of the framing? I really don't want to have to try to cut the MDF out to replace it with solid wood blocking... Ugh...

Last edited: