The "Things that annoy me" thread

UHNTZ UHNTZ UHNTZ UHNTZ UHNTZ UHNTZ UHNTZ UHNTZ UHNTZ UHNTZ UHNTZ UHNTZ UHNTZ UHNTZ UHNTZ UHNTZ UHNTZ UHNTZ UHNTZ UHNTZ UHNTZ UHNTZ UHNTZ UHNTZ UHNTZ UHNTZ UHNTZ UHNTZ UHNTZ UHNTZ UHNTZ UHNTZ UHNTZ UHNTZ UHNTZ UHNTZ UHNTZ UHNTZ UHNTZ UHNTZ UHNTZ UHNTZ UHNTZ UHNTZ UHNTZ UHNTZ UHNTZ UHNTZ UHNTZ UHNTZ UHNTZ UHNTZ UHNTZ.

My downstairs neighbor likes to listen to UHNTZ UHNTZ UHNTZ UHNTZ UHNTZ UHNTZ UHNTZ UHNTZ UHNTZ UHNTZ UHNTZ UHNTZ UHNTZ UHNTZ UHNTZ UHNTZ UHNTZ UHNTZ UHNTZ UHNTZ UHNTZ UHNTZ UHNTZ UHNTZ UHNTZ UHNTZ UHNTZ UHNTZ UHNTZ UHNTZ UHNTZ UHNTZ UHNTZ UHNTZ UHNTZ UHNTZ UHNTZ UHNTZ UHNTZ UHNTZ UHNTZ UHNTZ UHNTZ UHNTZ UHNTZ UHNTZ UHNTZ UHNTZ UHNTZ UHNTZ UHNTZ UHNTZ UHNTZ UHNTZ for hours and hours on end. I can't for the life of me understand how anyone can listen to that and not lose their minds, but to each their own. At least he seems to have learned that the rest of us don't necessarily appreciate his taste in music.
What you need is to walk over there and form a sentence with the words : loud music, stop, music installation, shove, and ass, take a shotgun for extra persuasive power.

Neighbors across the street (newly built house, no neighbors there before) liked to park infront of my driveway when they first moved in......that ended quickly in much the same fashion.

If you can't get people to have the respect to have common courtecy towards you, at least get them to shit their pants whenever they see you.

Bloodhound Gang is so wrong and yet so good.

On related news, I have a neighbour drilling something since 8:00.
It is now 14:27.

The dulcet tones of BRRRRRRRRRRRRR

What you need is to walk over there and form a sentence with the words : loud music, stop, music installation, shove, and ass, take a shotgun for extra persuasive power.

Neighbors across the street (newly built house, no neighbors there before) liked to park infront of my driveway when they first moved in......that ended quickly in much the same fashion.

If you can't get people to have the respect to have common courtecy towards you, at least get them to shit their pants whenever they see you.
I can't imagine how that conversation went - oh, nevermind, I can...

I'm not that old, but basicly yeah, few less words but yeah........results matter kids.

No water until 4PM...*sigh*

The weather is great to have lunch on the balcony, but there's construnction work in the street und thus it's too loud to enjoy sitting outside.

Working from home has turned into working from my backyard because it’s sunny. This does not annoy me. However, the weather is expected to go from 23 and sunny to 10 degrees and cloudy to 7 degrees and rain. Dammit.

The worst part of no water had to be the inability to flush the toilet. I'll go get jugs of water from the track just so I can do that.
That's why we keep bottles of old water in our toilet. It might look stupid, but once you're out of water, it makes shitload of sense. (Pun not intended. :D)

On the other hand, I am now reminded of the time I lived in a student dorm, and one of the water pipes going to the showers broke. As it was a complex of a few buildings, and a restaurant, we could go to the restaurant to drink water and do the toilet, but we had no shower for like three days straight.

To make things worse, all of this happened during the hottest days of June, which are usually the sweatiest days of the year around here, at least for me.

That's why we keep bottles of old water in our toilet. It might look stupid, but once you're out of water, it makes shitload of sense. (Pun not intended. :D)
I know you meant he toilet room but the image you scooping water out of the pan with a bottle or something is brilliant.

Even as a non-prepper I would honestly consider having a water and electricity buffer a pretty sensible idea these days.

Even as a non-prepper I would honestly consider having a water and electricity buffer a pretty sensible idea these days.

Is this really something we need to worry about? I'm genuinely curious.

It depends entirely on where you live and what need.

Elderly person who lives in a neighbourhood that experiences power cuts frequently? Definitely get a UPS for at least the phone so you can always call for help.

Live out in the sticks where the water pipes don’t get fixed quickly? Have enough for the basic necessities in storage.

Able-bodied city dweller who doesn’t mind lighting candles and/or showering at the gym? You can probably take it easy.

I'm fully set for my needs when it comes to electricity. I sell car parts for a living so I have 24/7 access to power inverters and several thousands of amp hours in 12V lead-acid form if need be. Living in a flat with remote heating there's not much I can do if the heat goes out. I fully trust that it won't, because pretty much this entire town is connected to the same remote heating system and if would be a Very Bad Thing if that went out.

We've had a couple of nasty winter storms in recent years and some people in the countryside went without electricity for like a week. I would certainly keep at least a portable 2kW power generator on hand if I lived in the sticks.

I do have a habit of keeping enough diesel in the car to keep me warm for many hours if I'm stranded for whatever reason.

I think worry is the wrong word for most people but it's worth keeping in mind, for most people it'll be simple stuff like maybe keeping a bottle of water somewhere and a couple of power banks. Local plumbing can go to shit (quite literally) pretty quickly and if you can at least keep your phone charged in a power outage then you won't be bored.

I think worry is the wrong word for most people but it's worth keeping in mind, for most people it'll be simple stuff like maybe keeping a bottle of water somewhere and a couple of power banks. Local plumbing can go to shit (quite literally) pretty quickly and if you can at least keep your phone charged in a power outage then you won't be bored.

The power thing isn't much of an issue for me, I already have a 4,000W gasoline generator because heavy spring/summer storms have knocked out power regularly since I moved into this neighborhood. The water, yeah I can see that being an issue... Hopefully not too bad because the local pump stations have backup generators and pull water from the nearby river/underground aquifers. But yeah, I can't assume it will always be perfect.

Made vindaloo last night, and as it was just about finished, I started up the rice cooker. After it beeped at the end of it's somewhat suspiciously-fast cycle, I opened the lid. "Damnit", I said, as I opened the rice cooker and see standing water with all of the rice still at the bottom. Every so often our rice cooker does this. So, I close the lid, and run it again, which has always finished a 2nd rice-cooking cycle with satisfactory results.

The unit beeped, I open the lid, and....still in a bath of water. Oh oh...this hasn't happened before. So, I close the lid, start another cycle hoping for the best...but then also decide to make couscous as a back-up. I put a cup of water in the microwave, pour a cup of couscous* into a bowl, and pour the boiling water over the couscous*. But something doesn't seem quite right. "Oh well", I thought. I hadn't made couscous in a little while and just thought I mis-remembered how it was supposed to stir after adding the water. Covered it with a plate, and set a timer for 5 minutes.

After the 5 minutes was up, I took off the plate and...discovered almost entirely-un-cooked, crunchy quinoa. Remember that "*" I put after "couscous" above? It's because I grabbed the wrong orange zip-topped plastic bag filled with cream-colored tiny grains, and put quinoa into the bowl rather than the couscous.

So i put a cover back on the quinoa and try to finish cooking that in the microwave after adding additional water.

Meanwhile I go to check on the rice which has just beeped for the 3rd cycle (and I'm not optimistic because I didn't hear the normal "gurgling" that comes from a proper cycle), and I find under-cooked rice at the top, mushy rice in the middle, and over-cooked rice at the bottom.

I turn to the microwave as I start to hear burps and pops and a rattling plate, and find that the quinoa has boiled over. Now there's crusty quinoa stuck to the microwave turn-table, and running down the side of the bowl.

So by this point, the 11-hour vindaloo has gone cold, it's almost 10pm, we have rice cooked very badly 3 different ways, and quinoa with a blend of both mush and crunch.

Dishwasher might have died. It'll take a $300 disgnostic trip to even determine if it's something that can even be repaired at all.

Ugh...

Well, it's 11 years old, so it's not like it had a premature death, but it's never worked very well even when new. It seems like the only way to get a "good" dishwasher nowadays is to spend at LEAST $800 for the cheapest Bosch with a plastic tub, and even still, today's "good" is about 1/2 as good as they were 15 years ago.