The "Things that annoy me" thread

Dishwasher might have died. It'll take a $300 disgnostic trip to even determine if it's something that can even be repaired at all.

Ugh...

Well, it's 11 years old, so it's not like it had a premature death, but it's never worked very well even when new. It seems like the only way to get a "good" dishwasher nowadays is to spend at LEAST $800 for the cheapest Bosch with a plastic tub, and even still, today's "good" is about 1/2 as good as they were 15 years ago.
$800? See if you can find an Open Box or scratch/dent place. I can’t remember how, but I recall in 2016 getting a Bosch 300 series on a discount that had for less than $700 for sure. I liked it because it wasn’t a cheap POS loud boi or a top end buttons on the top so they get ruined by heat and steam... Noise was my biggest concern as my kitchen and bedrooms are close together.

it was a Sears Appliance Outlet store. I bought it online sight unseen and lucked out. Same with my fridge. Went to a discount “damaged in shipping” place. Sure you can find some really messed up ones, but sometimes you can get a small blemished one for a some money off, anything less than what other stores will sell the same item for is a win for me.

Dishwasher might have died. It'll take a $300 disgnostic trip to even determine if it's something that can even be repaired at all.

Ugh...

Well, it's 11 years old, so it's not like it had a premature death, but it's never worked very well even when new. It seems like the only way to get a "good" dishwasher nowadays is to spend at LEAST $800 for the cheapest Bosch with a plastic tub, and even still, today's "good" is about 1/2 as good as they were 15 years ago.

Our little cheapo dishwasher conks out about every 5 years. There's a $10 thermal fuse in the control panel. I go get one from the appliance part store (Yes, we have one of these!), replace it and we are back to washing dishes.

Based on the debug code from the flashing control panel lights, it's either:
- Failed control panel
- Failed control panel assembly
- Failed heating element
- Failed heating element assembly
- Failed pump
- Failed pump assembly
- Clogged filter (which I've checked)

So...basically the "debug" system is about as helpful as:
1617339998145.png

Also Bosch isnt as bulletproof as they were. We got a Bosch 5 or so years ago built on their reputation (never breaks, lasts 20+ years, etc) and ours has had to be fixed twice already (one water pump, 150 €or so, one electronic component, 300€ or so)

Also Bosch isnt as bulletproof as they were. We got a Bosch 5 or so years ago built on their reputation (never breaks, lasts 20+ years, etc) and ours has had to be fixed twice already (one water pump, 150 €or so, one electronic component, 300€ or so)

It's weird how reliability can change so quickly. It seems Kitchenaid's made some major improvements in quality over the last few years, after hearing so many bad experiences (not quite as many as Samsung and LG, but...) but now I've seen a couple of reliability surveys where they've come out ahead of Bosch and Miele. And one nice thing is that parts are seemingly reasonably readily-available, and stock is seemingly beefier than Bosch (which has spotty stock locally, it seems).

The next sales likey won't be until Memorial day, so that means 2 months of having to hand-wash every single item.

I can honestly say that any passion for cooking I may have developed over the last year is dead-in-the-water if I also have to hand-wash every single thing for 2 months. ha!

Yes, another dishwasher post.

So we went shopping today. It seems that I must be the only person in the world who would ever consider putting a standard 1/2 sheet pan or a 12" skillet in the dishwasher.

I can fit them just fine in my 11-year-old Maytag. Now, however, many dishwashers have started adding a 3rd shallow rack on the top for utensils. To make sure the (what is now the) middle rack doesn't get crowded, they lower it down a few inches. Which takes away height from the bottom rack.

So then we started looking at dishwashers that only had 2 racks. Seems like that should solve our issues, right? Nope. Other manufacturers and models have also lowered their top racks "New increased capacity for top racks!" but what they won't mention is that they took it away from the bottom rack. So instead of a 13" bottom and 7" top, they've made it 11" and 9"...meaning my 9x13 pan nor my 12" skillet will fit.

The ONLY ones we could find that would fit them were $400 crap-tastic models with all-plastic tubs.

So after stopping at 4 different showrooms to finally see all of the models we thought we might be interested in, none of them are in stock at the three main big-box appliance stores, or the larger regional chain, nor from the manufacturer directly. So because we don't want to spend $600-800 on something we won't hate, we're now looking at spending over $1000 on a friggin' dishwasher.

I just cycled 10 km through Hamburg and my clothes are smelling as if I stood next to a campfire for an hour - what on earth are people burning in their furnaces? Since that has soaked into my clothes my lungs will have caught a dosis of whatever they were burning as well...

Every year when temperatures drop to the single digits, I dread my next run because people will start their “wood-fired” crap. That is also a question I have asked myself a lot of times...
Also I hatte the fact how people seem to think it’s better for the environment than their natural gas heaters, or cheaper or sth. Ffs, get a grip and stop stinking up the entire neighborhood and blowing god knows how many carcinogens and pollutants into helpless peoples’ lungs.

Once again, because of too many assholes, I find myself calling for legislation where none should be necessary!

Every year when temperatures drop to the single digits, I dread my next run because people will start their “wood-fired” crap. That is also a question I have asked myself a lot of times...
Also I hatte the fact how people seem to think it’s better for the environment than their natural gas heaters, or cheaper or sth. Ffs, get a grip and stop stinking up the entire neighborhood and blowing god knows how many carcinogens and pollutants into helpless peoples’ lungs.

Once again, because of too many assholes, I find myself calling for legislation where none should be necessary!
Haven't they introduced some of that legislation, but to little effect? The open fireplace in my parents' home wouldn't be allowed today (and I can't even remember when it was last used), but ill-adjusted wood pellet-fired boilers are OK because "eco".

Haven't they introduced some of that legislation, but to little effect? The open fireplace in my parents' home wouldn't be allowed today (and I can't even remember when it was last used), but ill-adjusted wood pellet-fired boilers are OK because "eco".
The only reason it’s acceptable is because it’s cheap, easy to install, and use. But mostly the fuel is cheap.

Yes, now I think there is regulation that requires particulate filters or so. But, as usual there are loopholes and many existing systems are protected...
Don't get me started on those bloody pellet things ugh

Today is a bit windy but still nice and spring-y enough that I decided I should vacuum the car. For some reason I decided to empty my cordless vacuum on the ground. I figured it's just gravel. It was at that point I remembered I had vacuumed some fine concrete dust with it recently. All of the fine white dust blew through the open door into the car.

Oh well, at least I have a good cordless vacuum cleaner.

This shit is so common at night and it still pisses me off.

E66C3FB7-6EDA-46D2-9BA0-AD4720D9F808.jpeg

Why aren’t headlights just automatic these days removing the ability to manually shut them off, only allowing to keep them off if you’re not in motion? Like, it’s clear those that drive because they have to can’t remember this anymore. I know the real issue, are these two key factors for these people, “if my gauges aren’t lit, and/or I can’t see the road in front of me.” PLEASE STOP BEING SO DUMB.

This includes the fuckwits who drive with high beams on in traffic. That’s the complete opposite end of this scale. I’ve seen drivers in full darkness and no streetlights continue driving. That’s another one that boggles my mind.

People who talk on speaker on their phones in public with the volume way the hell up. Double points if they hold the phone upside down for some reason

I leave my lights on "auto", but every time someone else drives my car (parking garage valet, auto mechanic, car wash), they always turn the lights off for some reason, and I never catch it until I've been driving in the dark.