The "Things that annoy me" thread

No, Raycon is not "disrupting the electronics industry".

People around here...

Have some trees on your property? Chop them down! Have some property to sell with trees on it? Chop all of the trees down! What the fuck people?

Flour is sold in 5lb bags. I bought a plastic air-tight storage container with "FLOUR" embossed in the side.

It holds 3 cups less than a whole new 5lb bag. Why the hell would you do that?!?

It holds 3 cups less than a whole new 5lb bag. Why the hell would you do that?!?

You've been sold counterfeit flour that's less dense than the proper stuff. It's probably just cocaine made to look like flour.

Either that or they just did it to fuck with you. That's exactly what I'd do if I designed products because, deep down, I am evil.

I have a similar issue, but I feel it's more "German"... the bloody container will fit 1 kg of standard flour (pretty much) exactly. Meaning once you close the snap-on lid, there'll be flour-dust blowing everywhere o_O (it is virtually impossible to close that lid softly)

Debt recovery people... You don't have to be assholes to do your job!
This woman ringed my doorbell this morning, looking for the previous tenant... The conversation should have endend the moment I told her that I don't even know the guy, but instead she went on asking questions I don't have answers for, to the point where she asked why my garage has windows. "Why" I told her "never seen a garage with windows?", "No, never" she said, to which I replied "well, you see something new every day... Good bye"
And that's the same every time, they're always arrogant and assumptive from the get go.

Freeze warnings in May.

I tried responding to my doctor in their app. I hit the 1500 character limit, so I edited until I was under. I attached the necessary image, clicked send, and..."failed to send message". After 10 re-tries, I re-started the app, aaaaaaaand...the message was gone. No "draft" folder.

OK, so I went over to my computer and re-typed out my message. This time i got to the end and was about to upload the image. I got distracted for 3 minutes, and by the time I went back to the page, it had timed out and logged me out. Again...no draft saved.

So I just typed it out for the 3rd time, and clicked "send". Success.

Then I realized I didn't attach the image, and when I tried to send another message with the image, the website is telling me I've sent too many messages in quick succession.

3468DF5E-E3A0-4765-B12D-F64BFADE465B.jpeg

This is a post-WW2 wrong that will perhaps/hopefully be righted. There was a lot of destruction in Cologne and the post-war building boom understandably focused on quick construction, which made many parts of the city bland, dull and ugly.

But there was also a push to “modernise” surviving buildings by removing or covering their decorations, which is what happened to the building in the photo. Lots and lots of previously elaborate façades disappeared, most of them forever.

This is a post-WW2 wrong that will perhaps/hopefully be righted. There was a lot of destruction in Cologne and the post-war building boom understandably focused on quick construction, which made many parts of the city bland, dull and ugly.

But there was also a push to “modernise” surviving buildings by removing or covering their decorations, which is what happened to the building in the photo. Lots and lots of previously elaborate façades disappeared, most of them forever.

We do not share the same thinking here. I'm sick of seeing a bunch of precast commerical/industrial buildings here that have become popular over the past 10 years because it's quick and easy to put up. They end up cracking after a year or 2 and look like shit because of that. If the building has a brick face to have some "style" to it, they're not installed right and you get these weird stains that look like bird shit was thrown at them.

84CC1C7E-7593-4A4D-8A41-E6BA63973F45.jpeg

E1FB096F-5724-4582-A65D-AFAB782A192B.jpeg

WHY. Just pull up to the damn line, it’s there for a reason!

I love people over here who do this kinda shit at "beggar's lights" that have an induction loop right behind the line. bonus points if there's even a sign telling you to pull right up to the line :| then there's the other kind that overshoot and then keep creeping into the crossing further and further...
also had that once on the bicycle... I stopped right on top of the bloody induction loop as to give the damn thing the best chance to recognize my bike (which usually works), only to have someone come up behind me, honk their horn at me and then not pull up far enough when i moved all the way across the line to make way for them to actually trigger the damn thing.

ugh...

I love people over here who do this kinda shit at "beggar's lights" that have an induction loop right behind the line. bonus points if there's even a sign telling you to pull right up to the line :| then there's the other kind that overshoot and then keep creeping into the crossing further and further...
also had that once on the bicycle... I stopped right on top of the bloody induction loop as to give the damn thing the best chance to recognize my bike (which usually works), only to have someone come up behind me, honk their horn at me and then not pull up far enough when i moved all the way across the line to make way for them to actually trigger the damn thing.

ugh...

Oh yeah, I like mumbling to myself when people do that inch forward, every few seconds and saying "still red, nope still red." That stuff bugs me more because of how common it is, it's not really unsafe, just stupid to do.

With a lot the railroad crossings along the commuter train routes, due to a certain train + school bus incident in the 90s, it's become a thing that if the distance is less than I think 20 freedom units from the tracks and intersection, to put the traffic light stop behind the tracks. There's huge signs and arrows pointing to say "stop here," and people ignore it.

After having it replaced already once a month ago, my chest strap heart rate monitor is again starting to act up... it was reporting some unusually low HR numbers on my ride today, so I decided to put in some short sprint segments, just a few seconds each, and see whats what. And yeah, as expected, the HR monitor doesn't pick up anything. A few seconds all out sprint: HR creeps up from 142 to 150 over teh course of a minute afterwards... I'd rather expect an instantaneous spike to 185 bpm at least. Crap :|

I've already done all the troubleshooting steps listed on the support page, but I'm not holding my breath. It was exactly the same last time, same error "pattern", nothing changed. Very annoying. ... at least last time they had a replacement sent out to me in basically no time at all, let's see what happens the second time around.

Oh yeah, I like mumbling to myself when people do that inch forward, every few seconds and saying "still red, nope still red."

I love watching people inch forward on a red next to me on a 2 lane road, while I wait and just go full send when the light turn green, and then I just maintain limit +x (where x is typically between 8 and 18), and then watch them catch up to me and blast by me.

Oh yeah, I like mumbling to myself when people do that inch forward, every few seconds and saying "still red, nope still red." That stuff bugs me more because of how common it is, it's not really unsafe, just stupid to do.

It's infuriating, though, when you are in a right-turn-only lane, and the person doing it is in the straight/left turn lane. And even though you can legally make a right turn on red, they keep creeping forward blocking your view of the possible oncoming traffic. And then the jackass behind you honks at you to go because they are far enough back that they can see behind this center lane guy that there's no traffic, but you can't see that the lane is clear.

It's infuriating, though, when you are in a right-turn-only lane, and the person doing it is in the straight/left turn lane. And even though you can legally make a right turn on red, they keep creeping forward blocking your view of the possible oncoming traffic. And then the jackass behind you honks at you to go because they are far enough back that they can see behind this center lane guy that there's no traffic, but you can't see that the lane is clear.
YES

If my window is open I am known to say "Thanks, Jackass."

"BOGO", ass annoying a term as it is, used to mean "buy one, get one" as in if you buy one, you get another free.

However, in recent years, that use has almost completely been dropped, in favor of "GOGO 1/2" or "BOGO 50%", while still referring to it as a a "BOGO" offer.

Just got a promo email a few minutes ago from a restaurant chain with the subject "Check out our new BOGO offer!"

But inside, their "new BOGO offer" is a buy one, get one half-off promo. So basically BOGH (boy one, get half).

Found a new use for BOGO

Email subject line: "Act now on this exclusive BOGO offer!"

The offer: Buy an full-priced entre and appetizer, and get free fountain drink. Ugh! That's fine to have as a promo, but it's not a "BOGO"! In fact, it's barely a BT(wo)GO.

I forgot to say when that came up before, but over here it's BOGOF or BOGOFF. As in the slang term, bog off.