The "Things that annoy me" thread

1621583622447.png

Whenever I see this in an e-mail signature, it makes me want to print 17 copies and then put it in the data shredding bin so it uses a couple drops of diesel when the company comes to swap the bin for an empty one.

You're such an old man.

*looks at car*

Oh.

amazonbasics branded crap that is advertised as "compatible" with the original. which it clearly isn't. morons.

View attachment 3561204

Whenever I see this in an e-mail signature, it makes me want to print 17 copies and then put it in the data shredding bin so it uses a couple drops of diesel when the company comes to swap the bin for an empty one.

I especially love it when that exact line makes your printout 2 pages long.

Informal names for things, used by adults, that sound like baby talk:
"Nuggies"
"Tendies"
"Choccy milk"
The cake shop Choccywoccydoodah and associated TV show always irritated me for this reason.

I'll allow pink jelly beans though for cat paws. :p

For me it’s a silly internet thing. One of those things that is fun, until it’s spoken out loud in person.

I heard my little brother start talking about anime waifu and now I’m concerned.

I used to be able to select parcel tracking numbers from UPS (and FedEx and USPS) on my phone, and just select "web search", and it would automatically google search that number, and provide the appropriate carrier's tracking link.

Now, though, for about the last couple of months, when I try to do this with UPS, Google thinks I want to try to translate it, and I get a search result page for "translate 1Z(etc) to english". So instead, I have to copy the text, and manually go to a google search bar and paste the tracking number in like some kind of schmuck.

Needlessly "Hello fellow kids"-type pandering. The content of this video could have been narrated in video-form in, like, 10 seconds. In text, 3 lines.

I have a roll of dog poo bags clipped to my leash for Hank. This usually works without fail except the roll I have now. I'm on my second "melting the two edges to form a bag" are not connected, so now I have tie a knot in the bottom, pick up turds, and tie a not on the other. Like this is some sort of poo grenade as the turds are now almost squished in a little ball. It's not the end of the world but still annoying.

Motorcyclists who think the brightest auxiliary lights are the only way they can stay safe at night. Same goes for assholes whether in a lifted pickup or an old van that either adds an LED strip that is not DOT approved with the correct aiming lenses or those "White" blueish headlight bulb upgrades people do.

I had to aim all of my mirrors tonight on a slower road tonight because a biker (who I later saw without a helmet) had his front lights turned up to 11. I could turn my head because the glare from my glasses would blind me temporarily. If you need that much light at night to see around here, you shouldn't be driving at night. It's not like we're in Wyoming or something where there's zero street lighting for miles and no light pollution lighting the sky. I enjoy slow cruises at night with the wagon and Hank as it's quiet and less focus on getting places and just driving in circles basically.

View attachment 3561204

I recently had to bite my tongue when a friend's "eco conscience" was clearly trumping her wit.

The wife and I were visiting for a couple of days and as I was filling the dishwasher, she asked that I don't put her daughters' juice glasses in because they wouldn't come out clean. When I went to switch it on, she said she would do it in the morning because a cycle takes four hours... well, I think that both may have something to do with the fact that she only ever runs the machine on its super-eco-saver setting and uses organically grown vegan fairtrade detergent. :unsure:

On to her cooker: it has a little display that shows you how many kWh you've used since switching it on. But the format is a bit rubbish, there's no point/comma. So she was convinced that the numbers "1 6" meant that I had used 16kWh in about 15 minutes. I may not have bothered doing the math, but I'm pretty sure that sort of power wouldn't have cooked our food, but melted the pots and pans.

Naturally, she buys almost exclusively organic food. The brand name on the dairy products (all in glass containers) sounded a bit funny, so I looked it up: the dairy is a four-hour drive from her home. :rolleyes: And all that organic food is delivered by diesel van. I believe my approach (buy local if I can and get it home on my bike) might be slightly more ecological.

16kwh is a ridiculous amount for cooking, that would get my car over 100 kms. Probably wh?

Also, the dishwasher thing is totally true, our dishwasher guy explained it to us like so :
Automatic : use this 80% of the time
Super duper ultra 1 million degrees mode : only when there’s like baked food stuck to the plates that you can’t get off
Eco mode : if you like redoing your dishes by hand everyday.

16kwh is a ridiculous amount for cooking, that would get my car over 100 kms. Probably wh?

Might be 16Wh or kWh and missing a comma to the left or the right of the 1. I was satisfied with my lazy “can’t be 16kWh because your circuit breakers would explode” explanation. :blush:

This could also go into First World Problems, but...

Streaming services, why don't you have a report streaming problems button for your device apps? I know some do allow reports from a PC, but since I watch most TV and movies from my smart TV or a tablet, it is really annoying to have to report the problem from the PC that is in another room.

I have also come to love HBO's Last Chance tab. Why don't all the services do this? These are the things I want to prioritize.

I was satisfied with my lazy “can’t be 16kWh because your circuit breakers would explode” explanation. :blush:
16 kWh in 15 minutes would be quite impressive, 64kW or just over 266A while in use at 240V. Definitely melty pans, cooker, probably entire kitchen. :LOL:

On to her cooker: it has a little display that shows you how many kWh you've used since switching it on. But the format is a bit rubbish, there's no point/comma.

Things that annoy me: appliances and other things with stone-age displays and rubbish user interfaces.

I refuse to believe that it costs too much to put something like a monochrome 640x480 LCD display in these things, and a basic menuing system so you can see what's going on.

UPS shipping website. Every fucking time....

"is this a residential address?"

No, you fuckwit, it hasn't since we started sending shit to this customer over 10 years ago.

I refuse to believe that it costs too much to put something like a monochrome 640x480 LCD display in these things, and a basic menuing system so you can see what's going on.
Yeah this is something I just don't get... I mean my god damn new oven has wifi and an app and everything - which the manufacturer it seems took to mean that it wouldn't need more than a few simplistic 7-element number displays. If I can buy a simplistic display on aliexpress for 5€, how hard can it be? :D