The "Things that annoy me" thread

Kiosk is definitely the right word. We don't have anything like that here though, the closest would be a fuel station at night when you can only pay through a hatch and get basics from the shop. I don't see any cameras, if you stole a delicious ice cream by the time the dude inside got out you would be long gone. Free ice cream is probably the best thing there is.

The Austrians call them “Trafik”, perhaps that’s where the “traffic shop” came from. It’s not that far away from some parts of Croatia. ;)

Funnily enough, Cologne has its own word for them: “Büdchen“, which translates to “little hut/shack”. The origin is in people’s need to quickly buy small stuff such as candy after school, cigarettes after work or another bottle of beer long after the shops have closed.

The Austrians call them “Trafik”, perhaps that’s where the “traffic shop” came from. It’s not that far away from some parts of Croatia. ;)

Funnily enough, Cologne has its own word for them: “Büdchen“, which translates to “little hut/shack”. The origin is in people’s need to quickly buy small stuff such as candy after school, cigarettes after work or another bottle of beer long after the shops have closed.

There is another, slang word for it in Croatian: trafika, which probably came from Austrian German. That’s most likely why I assumed kiosks are called traffic shops in English. :)

And yeah, Austria’s quite near actually, besides, Croatia was a part of Austria-Hungary some 100+ years ago. Not to mention there is a certain amount of Croatians who live and work in Austria, and come back to Croatia every summer or so. So all in all, we do have some close cultural (and thus, linguistic) connections with Austria.

It is 3 a.m. and 35 minutes ago, I was awoke when the cable box started buzzing. I had to power cycle it twice to get it to stop.

If we're in the thousands of millimeter for measuring something and you end of on an even measurement like say 1200mm, why not just step to at least cm? I'm spec'ing industrial equipment and the boiler combustion chamber dims are in mm....

I'd guess it's to keep the units consistent. If a majority of the specification papers give the measurements in mm but a tiny miniority of other papers give the measurements in cm you don't expect it to be cm so there are people who inevitably read 120 cm as 120 mm (which would be ridiculous for a boiler diameter of course, but there are people who don't think about that).

I'd guess it's to keep the units consistent. If a majority of the specification papers give the measurements in mm but a tiny miniority of other papers give the measurements in cm you don't expect it to be cm so there are people who inevitably read 120 cm as 120 mm (which would be ridiculous for a boiler diameter of course, but there are people who don't think about that).

Ok, then put "CM" next to "Length" like how most documents with freedom units have "IN" next to them even if we know it will always be inches.

If we're in the thousands of millimeter for measuring something and you end of on an even measurement like say 1200mm, why not just step to at least cm? I'm spec'ing industrial equipment and the boiler combustion chamber dims are in mm....
Engineering just is in mm, always. DIN 406 or something?

We do that in inferial, too. You'll also hear people mention 10 one-thousandths as "10 thou ("thow")", even though it's one hundredth.

It also has to do with tolerancing. I know on the drawings I make for work, (all imperial) the number of places after the decimal is used to determine basic tolerancing.

1200mm vs 120cm vs 1.2m will have different implicit tolerances. Though I suppose I would probably interpret 1200mm vs 120.0cm vs 1.200m the same...

Of course, an explicit tolerance also solves that problem, but giving a number like 120cm +/- 5mm seems like bad juju to me, even if it technically makes sense.

I've seen locomotives specified in five-digit millimeters for length :dunno: the last three might be zeroes, but still...

Yeah, I'm always saying that...

1624569565642.png

It reminds me of those shitty "Keep Calm & I Love My Basset Hound" and "Keep Calm & Department of Earth Sciences" signs.

Cyclists who somehow think crossing a mayor road at one of those pathetic 'cyclist crossing' places gives them right of way, eventhough it's clearly marked with signs and on their retarded bycicle paths that they have to yield to passing, superior, automotive traffic.

Even worse when there's a group of 20 of them and the idiot infront of you decides to stop and ignore their blind disobediance to the law and completely false sense of entitelment.....forcing you to wait until everyone of the pot bellied, arrogant boomers cross on their victorian toy despite not having right of way in any shape or form.

I say kill em all, arrogant bastards.

Drivers.

Why have speed limits if you don't follow them? Don't tailgate me and then do that swerve back and forth as a form of intimidation because my 5 over isn't good enough.

It's good I haven't figured out how to mount retractable reverse facing guns to my cars.

Why have speed limits if you don't follow them? Don't tailgate me and then do that swerve back and forth as a form of intimidation because my 5 over isn't good enough.
Yesterday I saw a dude in another Model 3 overtake someone in a 30 zone (with houses) and almost crash. What a twat. He brought shame upon us Model 3 drivers. I know damn well that it's good for overtaking, but there's a time and a place. I didn't have the camera SSD plugged in or I would've saved the video.

It's good I haven't figured out how to mount retractable reverse facing guns to my cars.
I've got a very good idea for this but it's not compatible with this country. Involves electric tailgate windows and the purchase of additional vehicles.

People who line up at the airport gate before their boarding group is called.

In 2 hours, Sydney and surrounds go back into a 2 week lockdown, thanks to the asshole limo driver working with incoming flight crews, who decided not to get vaccinated when he was eligible, and has spread the Delta variant through the town.