The "Things that annoy me" thread

Yes, it’s absurd. For instance, doctors get money for sending faxes, but not for e-mails (AFAIK). And the German attempt at introducing a domestic secure e-mail system has never really taken off.

I thought the announcement in the winter was meant they finally were getting away from that. It was that only for Covid reporting?

Fax is still used often in the US As well, mostly old farts who won’t upgrade in the industrial world, government, and medical.

For some ridiculous reason in German legal circles fax is considered a „safe“ transmission… that’s why itsvstill widely used by the legal profession, in the medical field and the government (to name a few). It’s a bit dumb… also, as stated, the proposed alternatives are usually similarly atrocious.

I thought the announcement in the winter was meant they finally were getting away from that. It was that only for Covid reporting?

Only for COVID reporting. As bad luck would have it, my wife’s physician just told her to get her health insurance to send the practice a confirmation of insurance by fax because there’s some sort of problem with the electronic insurance card system.

Yes, our backup for a system from the 2000s is technology from the 1960s.

And don’t get me started on filing my taxes. That’s just digitised versions of the paper forms with an added “plausibility check”, whatever that is supposed to be.

Only for COVID reporting. As bad luck would have it, my wife’s physician just told her to get her health insurance to send the practice a confirmation of insurance by fax because there’s some sort of problem with the electronic insurance card system.

Yes, our backup for a system from the 2000s is technology from the 1960s.

And don’t get me started on filing my taxes. That’s just digitised versions of the paper forms with an added “plausibility check”, whatever that is supposed to be.

*looks at US' tax system*

“plausibility check”, whatever that is supposed to be.
A chance for them to force you to still send in paper attachments because some checks are implemented the wrong way round…
„You said you do NOT collect rent from relatives, but you put 0 in rent collected from relatives. Computer says no.“ (yes you have to put a number…) ?‍♂️?‍♂️?‍♂️

My building is getting its exterior redone this summer. This involves, apparently, cutting out old crusty beads of sealant between the concrete building elements and replacing it with new stuff. They're using an oscillating multi-tool for this, on the outside of my bedroom wall.

They usually start this at 8AM and get done by early lunch or so. Wonder why they can't do this at an hour that's more sensible for people on vacation that might want to sleep in on occasion.

And yes, I understand it's their job and that it has to be done. It's going to be nice when it's done. But builders, plumbers and the like tend to have unreasonable hours.

Speaking of unreasonable hours: I’m at my parents’ this week to help out after my mother had hand surgery. Today was the one day this week I could have slept in until about nine-ish, so obviously I was woken up at

6:35, buzzing phone because I had disabled “do not disturb” in case my wife sent me any urgent flooding news

7:15, some gardeners or builders outside the neighbouring house started equipment that was loud enough to go through walls, earplugs and a duvet

9:00, fifteen minutes after that equipment had finally been turned off, my half-deaf father’s alarm clock goes off every five minutes because he keeps hitting snooze

A joyful morning all around.

This one guy in my neighborhood who is cutting tiles (I think) with one of those noisy saws. I get it, you’re redecorating and doing it yourself to save a bit of money. But instead of doing all the sawing in one day he’s doing like 5 a day, every day for weeks now…..

Also, woke up with half the country flooded and the other half hanging by a thread, it’s raining like nothing else and now this guy thinks its a good time to do YET ANOTHER tile?

My chair just ate my lip balm. I tried to get it out, but no luck.

Garlic burps. I've eaten 11 garlic cloves today. (Long story), plus nearly 1 tablespoon of garlic powder.

You know it's bad when you can smell yourself.

Last edited:

I had to go on a strict elimination diet after a too-long battle with constipation and diarrhea. After things have settled, I can now start reintroducing specific types of food in a 3-day process for each ingredient/class of ingredients.

Day 1: a tiny amount, just to see if there's a reaction from it.
Day 2: a normal amount...basically without thinking about it, how much you might consume on an average day
Day 3: consuming enough to try and "force" a response.

Today was Day 3 for garlic.

The next ingredient I'll be adding is onion. Should be another "fun" one.

My shaver has this automatic cleaning/charging base that needs its own fluid, and last night I got the error light telling me the detergent cartridge needs replacing. I checked and couldn't find them at the big box stores in town so I ordered online. Today while shopping for groceries I found them for the same price as I paid online not including shipping.

First world problems.

My shaver has this automatic cleaning/charging base that needs its own fluid, and last night I got the error light telling me the detergent cartridge needs replacing. I checked and couldn't find them at the big box stores in town so I ordered online. Today while shopping for groceries I found them for the same price as I paid online not including shipping.

First world problems.
Sometimes it feels like there's some cause and effect thing going on because had you not ordered them online you probably wouldn't have found them in the local store. In this country it's called Sod's law and describes any situation where fate is mocking you.

Last edited:
I got a message the other day from Amazon after buying something during prime day, that they „managed to further reduce the price after I had bought it“ and that they would refund me the difference. Was a whopping 3.50€ (5%), so I won’t complain, but… why? I bought the damn thing at the higher price, after all. Maybe to prevent me sending it back because I’d found it for cheaper later? Only sensible explanation that I can come up with…

Neighbours 'moving in' who start their adventures in this street by blocking my driveway, then attempting lip when confronted, that was shut down, hard........you wanna get towed? Cause that's how you get towed, and no, not by the licenced instances.

Neighbours 'moving in' who start their adventures in this street by blocking my driveway, then attempting lip when confronted, that was shut down, hard........you wanna get towed? Cause that's how you get towed, and no, not by the licenced instances.

UK farmers apparently have a huge problem with tourists parking wherever they feel like, blocking gates and farm tracks, and the police can't do anything about it. Apparently the thing to do, if I understand it correctly, is to pick the car up with the telehandler, place it in the middle of a public road and let the cops sort out the rest. I would love to watch this some time.

Thankfully in a sparsely populated country like mine, this is not an issue.

UK farmers apparently have a huge problem with tourists parking wherever they feel like, blocking gates and farm tracks, and the police can't do anything about it. Apparently the thing to do, if I understand it correctly, is to pick the car up with the telehandler, place it in the middle of a public road and let the cops sort out the rest. I would love to watch this some time.