The "Things that annoy me" thread

Being asked for something obscure and having it in stock always feels awesome.

I can't be bothered to check, but I'm sure I would have a cap and rotor for @ninjacoco's 411 on the shelf. Not because I sell them every week but because it probably is the same 8045 cap as on every other Bosch equipped four-cylinder from the era. :p

22-8045_1.jpg

Being asked for something obscure and having it in stock always feels awesome.

I can't be bothered to check, but I'm sure I would have a cap and rotor for @ninjacoco's 411 on the shelf. Not because I sell them every week but because it probably is the same 8045 cap as on every other Bosch equipped four-cylinder from the era. :p

22-8045_1.jpg
Awwww yeeeeeah. That looks familiar from the stock setup. The aftermarket coil that's on there now has a shiny black one, though.

Stupid useless piece of sh*t rain sensing wipers on one of our company cars (Seat Leon III)...

Sometimes there is just one drop of water on the whole windscreen and the wipers are wiping four times in a row, directly afterwards only the sensor won't be covered and the wipers stop for a couple of seconds, leaving me pretty much blinded from the oncoming traffic. In my old BMW I had the rain sensor deactivated so I was able to adjust the interval settings in four stages with the knurl, but I'm not sure what that knurl does in the company car. At least I haven't been able to figure it out yet since it doesn't seem to make any difference in what position that knurl is, the wipers are just wiping randomly in every position...

The knurl adjusts the sensitivity of the sensor, or is supposed to anyway.

The rain sensor in my Insignia is way better than the one my 2012 Octavia had, but then again the Skoda had better parking sensors. Regardless, I would love to have a dedicated button on the steering wheel or on the end of the stalk for when the sensor is being dumb and you just need one manual wipe. Either that or a voice recognition system that responds to an expletive of your choice.

One thing that has been annoying me for quite some time: Youtube thinking I suddenly turned deaf and incapable of understanding English.
It keeps machine translating English youtube video titles for me, seemingly at random. Like every tenth video or so. It also keeps turning subtitles on, sometimes in English on English language videos but it loves to put Indonesian subtitles on Edd China.

This happens across the iOS and tvOS apps and on the web and it doesn't matter how many times I turn subs off.

Skärmavbild 2021-09-27 kl. 23.42.32.png

Regardless, I would love to have a dedicated button on the steering wheel or on the end of the stalk for when the sensor is being dumb and you just need one manual wipe.
In the Seat (and in my BMW) you are able to push the stalk down from the 0 position, then the wipers wipe just once. That said, when you have it on interval of course you have to push it down twice and then up again to get it into the interval setting again.
I found out that when you have it on interval you can just turn the knurl to either direction and turn it back again to tell the computer to wipe now. The thing is that this might start a four-wipe-frenzy instead of wiping just once as you intended, but that can be the same with pushing the stalk down beyond 0 and pushing it up again into interval...

In the Seat (and in my BMW) you are able to push the stalk down from the 0 position, then the wipers wipe just once. That said, when you have it on interval of course you have to push it down twice and then up again to get it into the interval setting again.
I found out that when you have it on interval you can just turn the knurl to either direction and turn it back again to tell the computer to wipe now. The thing is that this might start a four-wipe-frenzy instead of wiping just once as you intended, but that can be the same with pushing the stalk down beyond 0 and pushing it up again into interval...
You can also do a brief up-down on the stalk, going into the constant wipe program will start wiping immediately.

Guitar center's photos of used gear. They seem to have a standardized procedure for all of their stores, because they are all pretty uniform. Uniformly ass.

The reason I mention this as an annoyance, is because Guitar Center will ship guitars from stores around the country to your local store. They don't list condition besides "used", though, or take any good photos of details, so you can never be sure what you'll actually have delivered. Thankfully they do have a relatively lenient return policy, but if you use it twice with having something sent in, they start to get pissy.

Guitar Center's photo:
1632890940812.png

What this guitar actually looke like in person:
44213884_2208440446105912_8966707561499721728_n.jpg

Guitar Center's photo:
1632892127795.png

In real life:
143910b.jpg

Guitar Center's photo:
1632891864489.png

What it looks like in a photo that doesn't look like one of those "last known photo of this person, before they were found dead" photos:
134918b.jpg

Breaking news: Not only do the photos not accurately show even just the basic aesthetics of the guitar accurately, it turns our a previous owner of this one tried to make the gloss polyester polyurethane finish into a satin one with some sort of abrasive pad/sandpaper...but then gave up. And you can't tell from Guitar Center's photos that this is what that guitar currently looks like. :
1632893176106.png

Guitar center's photos of used gear. They seem to have a standardized procedure for all of their stores, because they are all pretty uniform. Uniformly ass.

The reason I mention this as an annoyance, is because Guitar Center will ship guitars from stores around the country to your local store. They don't list condition besides "used", though, or take any good photos of details, so you can never be sure what you'll actually have delivered. Thankfully they do have a relatively lenient return policy, but if you use it twice with having something sent in, they start to get pissy.

Guitar Center's photo:
View attachment 3562647

What this guitar actually looke like in person:
44213884_2208440446105912_8966707561499721728_n.jpg

Sidenote...who does that to a $3400 guitar?!?!

People that scrunch up things like money and the bags cereal are in. The money makes it harder to deal with and the cereal goes stale.

Trying to search for "monitor arm" on craigslist. But after I typed my search term, I just hit enter, rather than selecting a category from their auto-fill drop-down. And what category does it search within to provide my results? Housing.

"Storage cabinet"? Also "housing"

"Storage shed"? Services.

Even though "For Sale" is the top category for each of those searches in it's auto-fill menu.

Amazon customer service! What a circle jerk!

You have to start on the website, which is to be expected. But there is not an option for "I received the wrong items". So I go through the process to get to the point where I ask them to call me. I explain what the problem is to the first guy, he understands, but has to hand me off to someone else for some reason. This guy is focused on the one item I reported to get them to call. He gets annoyed when I explain to him I didn't get anything I ordered, and then hands me off to guy number 3.

After 2 minutes on the phone talking to him, and 5 more on hold, my order should be here tomorrow.

More than a half hour spent on the phone all told.

You don't get to be mad at me for "wasting your time" when your listing for an item you're selling says "all solid oak", and after I get there after a 40 minute drive (but still on-time), I decline to take it when I discover that it's mostly veneer, and the only solid oak is the frames of the panel doors, some 1/2" thick strips of solid wood edges to the desk top and drawer fronts.

Amazon customer service! What a circle jerk!

You have to start on the website, which is to be expected. But there is not an option for "I received the wrong items". So I go through the process to get to the point where I ask them to call me. I explain what the problem is to the first guy, he understands, but has to hand me off to someone else for some reason. This guy is focused on the one item I reported to get them to call. He gets annoyed when I explain to him I didn't get anything I ordered, and then hands me off to guy number 3.

After 2 minutes on the phone talking to him, and 5 more on hold, my order should be here tomorrow.

More than a half hour spent on the phone all told.

And they got it wrong...

I got an email in the middle of the night telling me that 1 of the 3 items was on it's way. So I had to go through the process again and finally got someone that listened and got it all sorted in 5 minutes total.

And they got it wrong...

I got an email in the middle of the night telling me that 1 of the 3 items was on it's way. So I had to go through the process again and finally got someone that listened and got it all sorted in 5 minutes total.

I got the wrong thing delivered once with Amazon, and the process to fix it was extremely simple and efficient. Maybe the Canadian experience is different.

Since I'm banned from updating my Tesla thread and it would be boring in there anyway, I'll moan about the bastard ABB public chargers in here. I used a different BP ChargeMaster station tonight with chargers that claim 175kW and had an even more frustrating experience than last week.

I'll keep this short, I wrote a load and nearly fell asleep reading it back. Simply, the first charger I tried wouldn't accept contactless, telling me to insert the card. The second one did the same and when I used the mobile app it was slow. I went back to the first charger to use the app, however that wouldn't work until I called up the helpline and then, 20 minutes later, it was also slow. I got charged a stupidly high 'ultrafast' charging tariff the entire time with no other option and their charger reports 4kWh more used than my car does.

I'm done with non-Tesla public charging. I'll probably be using some superchargers later this week and it will be good to just confirm that it isn't my car. Then it's going.

I got the wrong thing delivered once with Amazon, and the process to fix it was extremely simple and efficient. Maybe the Canadian experience is different.

If my first experience was like the second, I would have agreed.

Since I'm banned from updating my Tesla thread and it would be boring in there anyway, I'll moan about the bastard ABB public chargers in here. I used a different BP ChargeMaster station tonight with chargers that claim 175kW and had an even more frustrating experience than last week.

I'll keep this short, I wrote a load and nearly fell asleep reading it back. Simply, the first charger I tried wouldn't accept contactless, telling me to insert the card. The second one did the same and when I used the mobile app it was slow. I went back to the first charger to use the app, however that wouldn't work until I called up the helpline and then, 20 minutes later, it was also slow. I got charged a stupidly high 'ultrafast' charging tariff the entire time with no other option and their charger reports 4kWh more used than my car does.

I'm done with non-Tesla public charging. I'll probably be using some superchargers later this week and it will be good to just confirm that it isn't my car. Then it's going.

From what I hear this is a normal UK experience for nonTesla chargers. I have had one charger not work for me in nearly 4 years, all the others just work effortlessly.

Also, define ‘slow’. Depending on temperature and state of charge it may be the car limiting the speed, not the charger

their charger reports 4kWh more used than my car does.
How much is that in percent? Because from what I've read, the charge point reads what it pumped out, while the car reports what went into the batteries. Losses in between may occur.