The "Things that annoy me" thread

It's for drag race pioneers in the Southwest Missouri area.

DragRaceTitle.jpg

Everytime you mention it in your post the theme song plays a bit in my head.

When you buy something that mounts on the wall (a battery holder) and the screws with it are countersunk when the thing you’re putting them through very much isn’t countersunk.

Then after drilling the holes in the wall you find that the wall plugs provided are junk and the screws provided don’t bite into them at all.

It’s a nice battery holder now I’ve screwed it onto the wall with my own wall plugs and longer button head screws…
oh god... this sort of shit always triggers something in me and i want to call up the manufacturer and shout at them for a bit. I've seen products using hardware plain wrong so many times... things that are taught in a first semester mechanical engineering degree or just require a minimum of common sense (your example is perfect actually). ugh.

When you buy something that mounts on the wall (a battery holder) and the screws with it are countersunk when the thing you’re putting them through very much isn’t countersunk.

Then after drilling the holes in the wall you find that the wall plugs provided are junk and the screws provided don’t bite into them at all.

It’s a nice battery holder now I’ve screwed it onto the wall with my own wall plugs and longer button head screws…
Rule number one: the wall plugs in the package go straight in the bin. These ones actually made me laugh:

21138657-3D92-4355-AA90-C344F387DD85.jpeg

Rule number one: the wall plugs in the package go straight in the bin. These ones actually made me laugh:

View attachment 3563023
That is the most useless-looking anchor I've ever seen. European anchors tend to be better than the ones I see around here (at least, the ones I saw for sale in European hardware stores, and like what ships with things like Elfa closet hardware).

That screw head thing drives me bonkers. I hate how the tapered head of a coutnersink screw sticks up and sometimes even catches on the thing that attaches to the mounting plate, or the tapered head wedges into the hole, deforming the mounting plate. Sometimes worse, the tapered head tries to auto-center itself in the hole/slot, and sometimes you need a little play to get it more perfectly level/plumb.

Estimating all of the bath hardware, mirrors and accessories I've hung in 10 years of retail, then 10 years of commercial furniture installation, plus 10 years of home ownership, I wouldn't be surprised if I've hung 10,000 items. Hell, the mirror in my living room along has been hung and re-hung almost 20 times between it's life in the store I worked at, 2 apartments, and 3 different places in my home. :lmao: And 95 times out of 100, I get rid of the included anchors and use my own mounting hardware/anchors. Well...I say "get rid of", but I really mean "save it in a small parts organizer bin for a just-in-case that I know will never actually come.

Last edited:
I’m terrible at mounting things to the wall. also in my defense the walls in my house are weird some are extremely durable and nearly impenetrable while other go super smoothly. But even I do the whole ‘I’ll save these crappy wallmounts/screws because you never know’. So now I have a toolbox full of them. Same goes with furniture, nowadays they give you an extra screw of each type and I just keep holding on to those for some reason

That is the most useless-looking anchor I've ever seen. European anchors tend to be better than the ones I see around here
The one in the picture was made of cheap Chinesium and came from Amazon. The ones that I actually used were either TOX or Fischer from the hardware store, I don’t remember.

I had to google what this was. I never saw one in person. So far, I only saw those:
These are the exact ones that came with this battery holder, I thought they would be fine but they were junk for my use and the provided screws were too short. The other screws I had were too narrow to get a grip in the plugs. I bought a load of Rawl branded plugs a while back (Rawlplug is the Hoover of wall plugs over here) and they work fine with pretty much any screws you can throw at them.

411143.jpg

I’m terrible at mounting things to the wall. also in my defense the walls in my house are weird some are extremely durable and nearly impenetrable while other go super smoothly. But even I do the whole ‘I’ll save these crappy wallmounts/screws because you never know’. So now I have a toolbox full of them. Same goes with furniture, nowadays they give you an extra screw of each type and I just keep holding on to those for some reason

You never know when you need a good screw.

There’s a place at my table for you and a glass for your beverage of choice. Proverbially for the time being and literally when Germany isn’t full of plague rats anymore.
Gladly accepted, thanks.

I had to google what this was. I never saw one in person. So far, I only saw those:
images
That shape is one of the common and sensible ones, however I still throw those away and use my own. It’s because the plastic is usually of poor quality and they get bent, twisted and/or squashed long before they’re in the hole.

Chemical ancor all the things! Yes I know it only needs to hold up a 200gr picture frame, but it's nice to know it can hold up a truck ain't it?

While that is true, sometimes we want to replace the picture with something else, and we need the strength of a 1000 men to remove it from the wall which is a hassle. Or you could just remove the wall completely, but then my house falls down

While that is true, sometimes we want to replace the picture with something else, and we need the strength of a 1000 men to remove it from the wall which is a hassle. Or you could just remove the wall completely, but then my house falls down
A house falling down is an opportunity, not an inconvenience! Again you are thinking to small my Belgian friend!

I'm not beyond destroying the wall or the object, hammers are fun.

This may come off racist.

Cue eye roll or “here we go.”

I will from time to time work with Italian OEM’s and they’ll send a couple start up techs. Every time these guys have the strongest body odor I have ever experienced outside of foreigners at Disney world. This one guy I had to work alongside at a new oven start up I don’t think took a shower for a week. Whether it was 8am or 3 in the afternoon, dude smelled like he ran a mile in the Summer heat, yet it was barely 18°C indoors and dropped down to about 10°C because the burners were burning off machine oil in the oven and filled the room with smoke, so exhaust fans in the room were on.

The guy was also a programmer, walking around with a laptop most of the day, so it’s not like he was doing anything strenuous either.

Poor laptop. :(

2989581B-C59D-44E5-A621-BA3A83A004A5.jpeg

The too-small flush actuation buttons on my dual-flush toilets. The buttons are so small and so oddly shaped that it's quite easy to either accidentally catch the edge of the "small flush" button when you're trying to "big flush" so that you end up having to flush twice, or it's too easy to catch your fingernail on an edge when you're pushing the button down. Last time my nail was just a tiny bit longer than normal, caught the fixed-in-place flange edge, and it sort of folded my fingernail back a little, pulling away from the nail bed (if that's the right term for the area under the nail). Hurt like a sonofabitch.

It wouldn't be so bad for the buttons to be small if they stood proud of the surface. It's only an issue because you are pushing a flush (no pun intended) button down into a recess. You know how easy it is to use an arcade button, right? Now imagine if the button was even with the surface, and you had to push the button down into a hole. It'd be much more awkward, right?

Next toilet is for sure going to be one with larger flush buttons. I want to be able to flush with gloves on. Not because I want to, but because that's how easy they should be to use. i should be able to flush blind-folded, with my non-dominant hand all oiled-up.

Last edited:
The too-small flush actuation buttons on my dual-flush toilets. The buttons are so small and so oddly shaped that it's quite easy to either accidentally catch the edge of the "small flush" button when you're trying to "big flush" so that you end up having to flush twice, or it's too easy to catch your fingernail on an edge when you're pushing the button down. Last time my nail was just a tiny bit longer than normal, caught the fixed-in-place flange edge, and it sort of folded my fingernail back a little, pulling away from the nail bed (if that's the right term for the area under the nail). Hurt like a sonofabitch.

It wouldn't be so bad for the buttons to be small if they stood proud of the surface. It's only an issue because you are pushing a flush (no pun intended) button down into a recess. You know how easy it is to use an arcade button, right? Now imagine if the button was even with the surface, and you had to push the button down into a hole. It'd be much more awkward, right?

Next toilet is for sure going to be one with larger flush buttons. I want to be able to flush with gloves on. Not because I want to, but because that's how easy they should be to use. i should be able to flush blind-folded, with my non-dominant hand all oiled-up.

I like those epicurious videos too

Next toilet have them put in an outlet and get yourself a bidet washlet with the heated blower.