The "Things that annoy me" thread

Yeah, I noticed that somehow my PC is missing all of my stand-up comedy album mp3. This was my last external backup drive they might have been on, so now I need to figure out how to check the old hard drives I've pulled out of my PCs over the years. I still have the CDs, but don't have any optical drives other than just stand-alone players. Ha!
Sometimes being a bit of a hoarder has its benefits, I have one of these 3.5" bays in my home server for slotting in HDDs along with a sled for 2.5" disks. With a proper SATA 3 hot-swap connection it massively outperforms USB adapters but is of course limited by the speed of the disk. It's perfect for backups as two of my backup HDDs are 8TB monsters and it damps the vibration that would drive me insane if they were just sitting in a desktop dock or on the side with a USB adapter connected.

I'd really like to put my SATA DVD-RW drive in that machine but the LTO4 tape drive is taking up the only other slot in the case. I could buy another case but that's effort, I'll keep using the USB BD-RW drive I have despite it being pretty damn slow. Haven't made a tape backup for a while because it's quite loud, should just get on with it.

having to go outside in the pouring rain is bad enough, but then being showered in disgusting puddle water by some asshat in a bmw (and yes, I’d consider his honking an indication he knew what he was doing) certainly doesn’t improve things. 🤬

I spontaneously bought a new wallet yesterday, as I have wanted for a long time because my old one fell apart, and I stumbled upon a business selling wallets on the Christmas Market.
Turns out, the new wallet is just a little too small to take vehicle registration papers when they're in a protective cover (as I prefer because the papers are just paper). :(

I’m glad that I’m not the only one with a dilapidated old wallet that I’m too lazy or afraid to replace.

I’m also glad that I don’t have to carry car registration papers or any paper at all :p

The driving license is the size of a credit card and why not just put the registration papers in the glovebox, along with the owners manual and service booklet? Any reason you need to keep them on your person?

Reactions: lip
So, you need neither car registration nor driving license when you drive?
Just the driving licence card, registration documents can be taken to a police station if requested but it’s all available to police on the computer system.

Streaming search engines. Why are most of them so damn terrible? I get that you aren't going to be able to search for everyone in a movie/show, but the 12 main people in a movie should bring that movie/show up! Then there are some that are terrible at looking for the title. How is that even possible?

And one thing that all streaming services seem to do wrong, comedians do not belong in comedy. They deserve their own category!

On a related note, shows like ‘You’ are unfindable since there’s a billion shows with that word in it.

The reason is it shouldn't be kept in the car, because it's proof of ownership (or at least legal usage) of the car. So in case of theft...

Sounds a bit sub-optimal yes, if it can be used to do an ownership change.

On a related note, shows like ‘You’ are unfindable since there’s a billion shows with that word in it.

It reminds me of the early days of search engines, and how hard it was to find anything about the band, "The The".

Sounds a bit sub-optimal yes, if it can be used to do an ownership change.
No it can't. Germany has two parts of the registration papers, just like Finns. Problem is that the "technical" part you keep in the car in Finland is generally accepted as proof of legal use of the car in Germany, i.e. will for example be enough to get through any encounters with cops, and even across borders, as long as the car is not registered as stolen.
Many people keep it in the car nevertheless, but it's one of these things parents teach their kids not to do because it's risky. I've been taught it's bad as well.

I think the German papers also "feel" more important because it's an official document on thick green paper, with a seal and a stamp and a DMV official's signature, not an A4 printout from Traficom's self-service web interface.

I don't think you even need to keep reg papers in the cars here anymore. I usually order one by mail for any vehicle since it's free.

I don't think you even need to keep reg papers in the cars here anymore. I usually order one by mail for any vehicle since it's free.
Here you technically need to have the small sheet while driving and present it at a traffic check, but it's only a 10€ fine if you don't.

You do here. Doesn’t matter if you can provide an image on your phone or log into your insurance page. If you’re caught by police for any number of tiny infractions, if your insurance is out or can’t provide up to date registration, you get fined.

Yesterday I received a package from the local utility company (natural gas and electric). It is a plain box with a decal stuck to the top that says "Winter Savings Kit". I didn't order this, so I left it there and just opened it up. It is a winterization kit, and it just arrived. This would have been great in September. What a failure in planning!