The "Things that annoy me" thread

My parents’ transformation into people who just want to sit around and wait for the day (and, consequently, their days) to end is advancing. My dad has been there for years and my mother is steadily losing whatever motivation she had to venture beyond the town limits, apart from medical appointments.

My parents’ transformation into people who just want to sit around and wait for the day (and, consequently, their days) to end is advancing. My dad has been there for years and my mother is steadily losing whatever motivation she had to venture beyond the town limits, apart from medical appointments.
Man that worry feels a bit too close to home… while it’s probably not as noticeable yet (iirc your parentS are a little older than mine), I can already see that especially my dad is more and more content with just sitting at home the entire day basically doing nothing. My mum still takes care of regular holidays and such things at least, but they could be (and I know I would be) doing so much more with their ever day lives. Also she now started complaining about turning 70 - as though a number ever meant anything ffs.

Ugh. Also they offered us their house if we want it… at least they didn’t push that too much, because despite the garbage market I really don’t want to live in my parents house (also 60km away, despite the fact that I compute those exact 60km - my wife doesn’t.), and I don’t expect them to really understand too well…

^ Sad to hear. - My mom turns 70 coming February. But she is still a globetrotter. Covid made a little dent into her international travels, so she took up hiking on the local mountains (we are in Switzerland after all), and still goes strong. She voluntarily gave up driving in November (eyesight is still good, but she drove slower and slower, as if her Peugeot 1007 wasn't slow already. :ROFLMAO:

Also she still works part time as she is bodily able, does nightwatches (per phone) as she is a 24/7 resident in a hotel. (She owns a 3-room flat there). Looks after the flowers and the decoration, and let's idiots back in in the middle of the night that went smoking outside without the key card in their pockets, that sort of thing.

But. She talks a lot about dying. She doesn't really fear it, but she can hear the clock ticking she says. She isn't depressive per se, but nevertheless it is theme in almost any longer conversation. I understand her in some way, but it does my head in. :(

Dad (they are divorced since 25years), at 72 years is absolutely fine. At the peak in his life, healty as a eal in brack water, busy tinkering on his house and splitting and piling firewood for the next 375 years and lives from day to day. - Never travels though. House, tools, garden, or those massive piles of firewood could vanish when one is not there for a day... :rolleyes:

My grandparents on my dads side so far don't say it, but I'm sure think about that stuff now. They've stayed in the same house they bought new in the 50s and while they have travel the country quite a bit and have visited as far as Alaska, the past 15 years or so they've stayed around here, visiting family or friends out of state mostly. Grandma was telling me a story when she was talking to her sister before Christmas. Apparently she had a fall and is already living in a independent living type old folks apartment complex. She's had a couple falls and only when she had friends over did they alert the staff who moved her into an assisted living building. Problem is, shes not allowed to walk anywhere now and is feeling weaker because of it. She wants to get up and move around but of course she's not allowed as she's become a fall risk. One sad fact was when she was telling my grandmother how she wants to put a pillow over her face and end it all to be with Andy, her late husband who died about 5 years ago. My grandmother starting getting choked up and tearing up. She's trying to motivate my great aunt to keep going. My grandmother wants to visit her but she herself is recovering from a hip replacement from October. What I find strange is she finds walking painful, but not going up and down stairs. She's still motivated enough to get better, while my grandfather as course as he can be, is trying his best to take care of her and make sure she doesn't get hurt during this. Something I really liked hearing. As old as they are (80s or so) they know they have to keep going and will help each other as much as they can.

The hardest thing to hear? That my great aunt's sons are paying for her to stay in this place and were surprised at the massive increase in expenses this year. There was a contractual agreement that it would happen, but they weren't aware of how much. So if you don't have enough money or have family to support you in your final years, you're fucked it seems. :(

Recently while looking for an item via Google search I found a listing on Amazon for that item. When I clicked on it, the listing for the item was in Spanish. Whatever, don't care, wasn't exactly what I was looking for anyway. Closed the tab, went back to my Google search.

Last night Gena gets a text about something she'd been looking for on Amazon, but it's in Spanish. I got on the Amazon app on my phone to find it too was in Spanish. I muddled through the menus in Spanish (which I have only a very basic understanding of) and got it changed back to English.

Why, with one click from a Google search, did Amazon assume I wanted to have all further correspondence in another language?

Yup, same here, constantly happens for me, too. But less dramatic because it gets changed to English all the time - I think this can be done with a single referral link to Amazon forcing a certain language. Instead of loading that one page in the different language it rather chnages your default. Every time. And I get an email notification every time as well. Ugh. It’s garbage.

Speaking of different languages, last night I got a message from a 'UK seller' I had purchased an item from. The message was written in German. Seems that they were panicking about new year delays on deliveries, they needn't have worried as the item arrived today.

Point is I don't think they were a UK seller. Nothing on the package says it's imported but I'm not sure. It was a replacement rear cover for a Dyson V6 that fits the newer HEPA filters, by the way.

ha, reminds me of an order at work that actually arrived on my desk less than two hours after our procuremen had forwarded me the shipping notice Email. From Estonia mind you…

Speaking of languages, Youtube keeps machine translating video titles and turning on generated subtitles for me, on English language videos.

I obviously have no problem understanding English (you'd think the probably tens of thousands of hours of watched material on my Google account would be a clue) and if I needed subtitles I would turn them on myself thank you. I want a Big Button™ that turns all of this stuff off until I ask for it.

Heh. Must be a thing. I usually turn on the subtitles so I can watch YT without the sound and still understand what’s going on. It’s a bit hit & miss with the auto translation, sometimes it’s completely accurate, sometimes wildly off (especially with some accents or brand names). And I get that it can’t do everything. But why oh why do you default to French subs? While I understand French I’ve never asked for French subs for an English video. Also, some of the video titles are in (badly) translated Dutch (word by word translation).

Just why?

When someone, and it's literally everyone around me, calls the show "Squid Games".

When someone, and it's literally everyone around me, calls the show "Squid Games".
Ugh

I have murder urges when people call the main character by the movie/series/etc name.

"There was a girl dressed like Frozen"
"Look, I am like Matrix"
Etc.

We have a store chain called Meijer, but the original one was called Meijers, so that is acceptable.

We have a store chain called Meijer, but the original one was called Meijers, so that is acceptable.

How is that pronounced? We've never shopped at one when in the UP, only visiting local the local chain of Tadych's Econofoods. Despite the name, it seems to have a great selection of everything.

How is that pronounced? We've never shopped at one when in the UP, only visiting local the local chain of Tadych's Econofoods. Despite the name, it seems to have a great selection of everything.
my-yer

They're sort of common here. Reminds me of a different flavor of Walmart.

We have a Supermarket chain called "Lucky", but everyone calls it "Lucky's".

We have a Supermarket chain called "Lucky", but everyone calls it "Lucky's".

One that gets under my skin is “Aldi’s”

My brother in law also calls a local chain, Jewel Osco as “The Jewel’s.”

One that gets under my skin is “Aldi’s”

My brother in law also calls a local chain, Jewel Osco as “The Jewel’s.”

I feel like I could let "the Jewel's" slide, because it almost seems more like it's the culmination of a path that traveled through "the family jewels" at some point, and now it's "the jewels" for short.