The "Things that annoy me" thread

One that gets under my skin is “Aldi’s”

My brother in law also calls a local chain, Jewel Osco as “The Jewel’s.”

The Jewels is just funny!

@CraigB , Chris got Meijer right. Not sure if there are any in the UP.

My main TV won't let me select a default app to start on, nor any sort of "home screen". If I've not selected an external source, it defaults to the over-the-air TV, which is the loudest of all sources.

So let's say I am watching Netflix, and turn off the TV. The next time I turn it on, it's NBC and the volume is twice as loud as it would be for this source. With YouTube, it's 3x as loud...but worst of all, is when I'm screensharing from my phone. I have to turn the volume up to about 75-80, and normal TV volume is 10.

My bedroom TV starts up at a home screen, which is better, but I literally only use one app on it, and there's no way to get it to just stay on that app, so I have to re-navigate to it every time I turn on the TV.

This partly ties in with the Blu-ray player discussion in the Technology section, I specifically bought a BD player without smart apps but I'm tempted to replace it with one that does, purely so I can avoid using the apps on this TV and its eventual replacement. It annoys me that so few have audio outputs though...

Anyway some unrelated things I picked up from my evening of binging Ordinary Sausage: Why do people in the US refer to any type of pasta as noodles? This wasn't the first time I had heard it, noodles are a type of pasta.

Also why does the company Frigidaire make stoves/cookers? They're obviously named after their air conditioning or refrigeration machines but having that name on something that gets hot looks stupid. Maybe Hotpoint (common brand here) on a fridge doesn't seem so smart either, I've never thought about it until right now. Their fridges have a habit of doing the catching fire thing though so it might be a good name after all.

Anyway some unrelated things I picked up from my evening of binging Ordinary Sausage: Why do people in the US refer to any type of pasta as noodles? This wasn't the first time I had heard it, noodles are a type of pasta.

Also why does the company Frigidaire make stoves/cookers? They're obviously named after their air conditioning or refrigeration machines but having that name on something that gets hot looks stupid. Maybe Hotpoint (common brand here) on a fridge doesn't seem so smart either, I've never thought about it until right now. Their fridges have a habit of doing the catching fire thing though so it might be a good name after all.

Possibly a regional thing with noodles and such. I'd go on to ask why all vacuum cleaners in the UK are called Hoovers.

The appliance thing.... who knows. expanding business to stay relevant? these days it doesn't matter when the US brands all come from the same factory though...

Possibly a regional thing with noodles and such. I'd go on to ask why all vacuum cleaners in the UK are called Hoovers.
Good point on the Hoover thing, I don't know why but it just feels right to call them Hoovers. Despite that the idea of people calling all cameras a Kodak seems mad. It's a funny world. :p
The appliance thing.... who knows. expanding business to stay relevant?
Most likely, just keeping such a specific name annoys me so I put it in this thread. There are probably lots of other examples.

Most likely, just keeping such a specific name annoys me so I put it in this thread. There are probably lots of other examples.

I agree. Also, why have so many brands that do the same thing? It's like General Motors.

Why do people in the US refer to any type of pasta as noodles? This wasn't the first time I had heard it, noodles are a type of pasta.
Isn’t it the other way around? The English “noodle” comes from the German “Nudel” which refers to everything from Japanese udon to Italian spaghetti and German Spätzle. Even a dumpling can be a Nudel.

Pasta is the Italian word for noodles (and doughs) and has been adopted as the general term for Italian (style) noodles elsewhere.

What kind of noodly pasta isn’t a noodle?

Isn’t it the other way around? The English “noodle” comes from the German “Nudel” which refers to everything from Japanese udon to Italian spaghetti and German Spätzle. Even a dumpling can be a Nudel.

Pasta is the Italian word for noodles (and doughs) and has been adopted as the general term for Italian (style) noodles elsewhere.

Memories of Im Wurstkessel. 😀

TIL, while it's plausible I feel like this is too complex for someone casually referring to spaghetti as "noodles". It's not something I've heard much as most people say "pasta" on US cooking shows I sometimes see, I even looked on the US Walmart site to check I wasn't going mad and there's a "Dry Pasta" section as I would expect. :p

Noodles over here are specifically ramen, rice or the stuff that looks like snakes but isn't tagliatelle, linguine, fettuccine, spaghetti or any of the others that have Italian names. Apparently it's confusing. 😐

Taking Germany’s “Nudel” and turning it into something confusing now seems like a Very British way of getting one over on us for all the crimes Germans commit against the English language.

I think that he will respond not.

TIL, while it's plausible I feel like this is too complex for someone casually referring to spaghetti as "noodles". It's not something I've heard much as most people say "pasta" on US cooking shows I sometimes see, I even looked on the US Walmart site to check I wasn't going mad and there's a "Dry Pasta" section as I would expect. :p

Noodles over here are specifically ramen, rice or the stuff that looks like snakes but isn't tagliatelle, linguine, fettuccine, spaghetti or any of the others that have Italian names. Apparently it's confusing. 😐

Last weekend I ordered garlic noodles from a Chinese restaurant. It was made with linguini.

Last weekend I ordered garlic noodles from a Chinese restaurant. It was made with linguini.
1641517186810.png

I'm never going to be able to trust any foods again.

Edit: Especially sausages.

Last edited:
STOP ROLLING OFF IDLE FROM A STOP AND ACCELERATING HALF A MILE AWAY FOR FUCKS SAKE.

TURN ON YOUR FUCKING HEADLIGHTS.

that is all.

STOP ROLLING OFF IDLE FROM A STOP AND ACCELERATING HALF A MILE AWAY FOR FUCKS SAKE.

TURN ON YOUR FUCKING HEADLIGHTS.

that is all.

Take a breath and count to 10.

So much noodle talk and none of it is about me .

FWIW I thought noodles were specifically chinese noodles too. I never knew italian noodles came from the same food family