The "Things that annoy me" thread

Do they grade on a curve?

That assumes that you can't get more than 100%.

Also, isn't there this thing where grades are assigned according to some normal-distribution among the results of the whole class? As in: your grade is relative to the other results (e.g. top 10% of class get A, next 20% get B, etc.), rather than according to a fixed scale (e.g. A > 95%, B > 85%, etc.). This could explain your B, if a very large part of the class got very high marks (close to 100%, in some cases even closer than you) and a comparably small part got less....

So it's stupider than all of that.

This was my first semester as a student. The school email I was given was blocked from receiving emails from outside of the school system until 2 weeks after the first day of class. Because of this, I wasn't able to register with the textbook/online homework website, so I wasn't able to actually do any of the assignments. It took a while to figure this out.

In the meantime, I didn't want to fall behind with late homework, so I created a login with my personal email, and did the first two weeks of assignments to turn them in on time.

After 2 weeks, I was finally able to create the "real" account through my school email.

Now...when this happened, the teacher was fully aware that I was switching over. I even named that other account FirstnameTEMP LastnameTEMP. Then, I sent an email reminding the teacher the day before the final exam.

Well...you can probably guess what happened...somehow my first two weeks of homework weren't included in the total. So my grade is actually A.

*whew* ha!

Last edited:
Why does liquid soap dry so hard?

The best thing is when you go to wash your hands, press too hard on the dried-up soap pump and it eventually shoots in the angle you least expect it, typically right at your crotch.

I keep wanting to have a "nice" looking soap pump on my kitchen counter for dish soap, but it always clogs up after a couple of days, while "disposable" hand soap pump bottle next to it has been refilled for, like, 2 years, without ever clogging.

My cheap refillable pump drips occasionally and if you don't clean it within a short time, it becomes almost scab-like. I have a fancy stainless steel one that came with the kitchen sink that is clog prone.

Had a foamer pump in the bathroom for a while but it must've started to leak over time as it didn't produce the foam properly, damn expensive for what it was too. Also the foam on the bottom started to rot from being wet all of the time, if it stayed put there was no smell but if it moved slightly it let the stink out.

1) Two years old, to the day, TV died. I get sound, but no illumination for the picture (which is still visible with a flashlight). Sounds like it needs a replacement $80 power supply board, for a $370 TV. Do...do I buy two, just in case this happens again in two years, when the parts will likely be harder to get?

2) I just joined a "woodworking for beginners" facebook group, and the word "screw" is restricted, so everyone's just accepted that you have to type something like "scroo" or "screew".

Last edited:
2) I just joined a "woodworking for beginners" facebook group, and the word "screw" is restricted, so everyone's just accepted that you have to type something like "scroo" or "screew".
"Threaded carpenter's nails" :LOL:

Stolen from AvE.

My local plumber has been starting their phone calls with "How can we make you smile today?"

Them: "Thank you for calling ___ plumbing. How can we make you smile today?"

Me: "You can help me stop the shit water from backing up from my toilet into my shower."

Ugh... monday morning and of course the work VPN is broken. Which honestly doesn't matter too much, because I only need the VPN for e-mail to work (everything else is either on a sharepoint or onedrive, all available without VPN). Which I can sort of work around today, I'll just be happy that nobody can disturb me while I update some stuff. But the sheer idiocy of the decisions that led there annoy me. How is it everything else has moved to be available online, but e-mail is still stuck behind a VPN? it's ridiculous.

Additionally... the sharepoint also seems affected. I've been waiting for a project management excel sheet of mine (very simple, just a place to dump info and document next steps, goals and such) to open for about 3 minutes now.

Argh. Mondays man.

That's a strange setup, ours is the opposite because of huge modelling files. E-mail has been available over HTTP or via O365 for years now. We also use DirectAccess, which is a decently reliable system if pretty limited on bandwidth.

It's fun for us admins to manage remote clients too because it's effectively one way, unless you're me and can write scripts that pull active IPV6 addresses from the management server so I can get connected. There's usually a way.

Work related still, I found out last week that Autodesk turn user IDs in flexi licence reports into hashed IDs unless you pay a premium fee. They once tried to claim this was due to privacy but that didn't wash. What utter bastards. We just migrated our licences so these flexi licences are new to us.

digital illiteracy

In this instance, the "What settings do I need to change so I can use this utterly trivial and basic functionality that requires no change of any settings whatsoever?" kind.

digital illiteracy
I know right, I just replied to a ticket asking someone to look more closely at their desktop icons after confirming that the one they want is already there. Some people go crazy about organising their icons and can't handle it when a new bit of software puts an icon somewhere else.

Edit: They found it.

I know right, I just replied to a ticket asking someone to look more closely at their desktop icons after confirming that the one they want is already there. Some people go crazy about organising their icons and can't handle it when a new bit of software puts an icon somewhere else.

Edit: They found it.

That is annoying!

On a related note, one of my desktop icons is missing!
Actually no, but I'm using a Mac now because of reasons, and it's the first time I've used an actual Mac computer in ages. It isn't really tailored to actual work (like spreadsheets and stuff). The mouse scrolling without a wheel is nice though, even if it scrolls the wrong way.

But thing's I'm used to for decades like ctrl-c and ctrl-v which are awkward.... the @ button is in the wrong place, and the keypad is all backwards (+-/* are all in the wrong place)

'delete' or whatever that button is called, doesn't put stuff in the bin

I thought I would be young and hip to adapt to this, but I'm more of an old fart than I think. Which is even more annoying

the @ button is in the wrong place
So do you keep closing your applications unintentionally? :mrgreen:

I switch some thirteen years ago and the main thing I remember is having to unlearn lots of unnecessarily complicated Windows stuff.

CTRL + C is just cmd + C.

Muscle memory from 25+years of using windows machines. The problem is with the person, not the machine. As usual

Aside from the price it's one of the things that is keeping me from buying a Mac, I would constantly need to switch backwards and forwards.

I've been on the fence about getting an iPad or an M1 Macbook that can run iOS apps. The latter doesn't have a touch screen, wouldn't be as powerful as my Windows rig for things a Mac is good at and the only thing I need MacOS for is organising photo albums, which iOS makes an awful mess of. So nah I'll stick with my hookie VM for that.

Oh it’s lovely, don’t get me wrong. Screen is the best I’ve ever had, and the battery life is more than anyone ever needs. For browsing the web and farting around on the interwebs it’s brilliant. Just the ‘actual work’ part that lets it down. But I suppose you could get a windows laptop which is good at both things for less monies?