The "Things that annoy me" thread

About 20 years ago, I had a neighbor that would mow his lawn at 7:30 on a Saturday or Sunday morning. He was hated with a passion by almost everyone in the neighborhood. He was the guy that was awake at 5am and you were a waste of space if you were up past 10pm.

...if you buy something now, yes. No point in dumping something you already have that's working just fine.

While this is of course the correct answer I'm quite happy with upgrading from something that's fine to something that's better, just as long as the thing you're upgrading from can be used by someone else. My stance on this is heavily influenced by the IT world where working kit is constantly being sold/sent to recyclers due to it being outdated. In a lot of cases I don't agree with working/repairable kit being thrown away.

I also keep 'spare' things I've 'replaced' so I dunno I'm probably just a magpie.

We used to have a neighbor that loved to start her grass trimmer at an ungodly hour. Like, what's wrong with doing noisy yardwork in the afternoon?

About 20 years ago, I had a neighbor that would mow his lawn at 7:30 on a Saturday or Sunday morning. He was hated with a passion by almost everyone in the neighborhood. He was the guy that was awake at 5am and you were a waste of space if you were up past 10pm.
This guy gets up at 4.......yess 4, goes to bed at 6PM.

Old fucking fart without a life, I hate him with a passion.

One of my neighbours is currently hedge trimming at 19:30... Manually, with big scissors 😂 superquiet.

This is what happens when the Russian gas is turned off?

I hope none of my neighbours has a hedge trimmer hooked up to their natural gas pipeline.
I must admit I got rather mad at the Tagesschau today talking about gas but mainly listing electricity consumption examples in their bloody segment. I’m honestly starting to question how fucking dumb the entirety of politics and media can possibly be…
Oh well, if the new cdu energy expert is friggin Jans Spehn I guess that answers that. Morons.

Edit to clarify: electricity generation is 12% of natural gas consumption. Saving on electricity isn’t going to do shit if vlad closes the taps.

Last edited:
My old lady neighbour annoys me. She does so with practically everything
Except when she breaks her foot and is admitted to hospital (and therefore isn't at home, that's the important part). I suspect she was too ignorant or stupid to walk properly.

Yes, I am an asshole...

I must admit I got rather mad at the Tagesschau today talking about gas but mainly listing electricity consumption examples in their bloody segment. I’m honestly starting to question how fucking dumb the entirety of politics and media can possibly be…
Oh well, if the new cdu energy expert is friggin Jans Spehn I guess that answers that. Morons.

Edit to clarify: electricity generation is 12% of natural gas consumption. Saving on electricity isn’t going to do shit if vlad closes the taps.

Deutsche Welle is similar but they do mention the 12% figure. They also factor in industrial production which is a key factor. Something also is district heating.

That’s a lot less than I was thinking. But it’s still something.
True, it's nonzero... but it's extremely efficient use of fossil fuel because it's usually coupled with electricity generation. My local gas plant runs at up to 90% efficiency due to this coupling (this will be on the test: Kraft-Wärme-Kopplung 🇩🇪).
Compare that to the 4x higher household use of gas for heat alone that's usually also very efficient in terms of how much heat ends up in the home, but it's only heat. With KWK you get a lot of "higher-quality" electric energy _and_ still use lots of the waste heat.
In fact, _more_ district heating would be great, Heat homes close to gas plants with waste heat, and use the electricity generated to heatpump-heat formerly gas-heated homes further away from the plant at greater-than-100%-efficiency.

In fact, _more_ district heating would be great

I keep noticing holes in the ground in my neighbourhood. They look suspiciously like the one dug in front of my building when it was connected to the district heating network. And AFAIK, the plant providing this heat doesn’t burn gas either.

Bagels were bought, but no cream cheese... WTF???

One of our cars, a couple times a week, the radio forgets what station/source it was last on, and drops back down to 88.7 FM, which is a local Christian radio station.

Yesterday, I turned on the car and I thought it was NPR talking about the Webb's photos until... "...and after taking in the astounding beauty of what these photos captured, I gathered my children with me, and we wept together when I realized that our Lord created all of this unimaginable beauty, and still makes time to personally love and bless me, my children, and all of you, individually."

The most annoying part, is that I couldn't change it. I had already shifted into reverse byt the time the radio kicked in, so the infotainment screen was fully taken over by the back-up camera. Then, even after I shifted into "D", the menu popped up about not intereacting with the screen or devices while driving, and then the screen was still taken up by the proximity parking sensor display until you hit 20mph, which didn't happen until I got to the end of the block, and made my first turn. It's like a missionary had their foot in my door and I couldn't close it. :wall: