The "Things that annoy me" thread

You're giving me flashbacks to train commuting, I'm glad to see the back of that. Always late and towards the end they would just cancel the stop at the station I was getting on at or getting off at to get the train back on time when it reached London.

It wasn't long after I started using the train daily (which lasted for 11 years) that I was rushing to catch a train, not knowing that the train before mine was late and was the one at the station. I stupidly didn't check the screens and just got on. Well it was a high speed train that bypassed all stops before Luton. Luton train station was a real shit hole back then, probably still is now.

Now they have retried the old HSTs completely the service must be worse than ever, the 'new' class 222 trains that are still up to 18 years old are smaller, noisier, have no opening windows and the A/C is regularly broken. They have a 7-car length limit so they're often two trains joined together with no way to go between them, if your half happens to be full then tough luck.

the train before mine was late and was the one at the station

How did you guess this is how I travelled today? :mrgreen: I’m really lucky because my “commute” is Cologne to Frankfurt airport, which is probably the best-served long-distance route in the country. The worst I can do is travel from/to the secondary station on the wrong side of the river or take a train that makes several intermediate stops.

But other than that, train travel in Germany is approaching the level of annoyance that you are describing. The system was already at breaking point and then politicians unleashed a huge increase in travellers on it with no time to prepare.

Last edited:
How did you guess this is how I travelled today? :mrgreen: I’m really lucky because my “commute” is Cologne to Frankfurt airport, which is probably the best-served long-distance route in the country. The worst I can do is travel from/to the secondary station on the wrong side of the river or take a train that makes several intermediate stops.
That's fortunate, mine missed my home stop (which was the next station and usually only a 15 minute journey) and three others, I think it was about an hour to get to Luton and 45 minutes back, after waiting at the station for 45 minutes. Not fun. Not recommended. Never did it again. :p

Speaking of trains and commuting... I like how my car leaves when I want to, goes exactly where I need it to and has working A/C. It also has a total lack of creeps and weirdos inside, unless you count the one behind the steering wheel of course.

My friend managed to get on the wrong train once and ended up in the wrong end of the country. Right platform but five minutes too early, the doors were closing and he panicked, pressed the door button and hopped on. Didn't realize it was an earlier train. We're not used to trains coming and going that often, living on the coast at the end of the railway track. :p

I like how my car leaves when I want to, goes exactly where I need it to and has working A/C.

Well… I met up with some friends last Sunday, the wife and I were arriving by train and they were driving. Guess who got stuck in traffic and was half an hour late.

Well… I met up with some friends last Sunday, the wife and I were arriving by train and they were driving. Guess who got stuck in traffic and was half an hour late.

I’m from a place where “traffic” is four cars stuck behind a tractor.

Back in the before times of early 2020 I ordered the Tesla with the intention of commuting in it rather than taking the train. It would be an hour driving with traffic rather than 15 minutes on the train, with waiting times and walking that is more like 45 minutes so it wasn't going to be too different.

The main justification was as above, I know I can always have a comfortable seat in a pleasant place with working A/C, music of my choice without headphones and even if I'm in traffic I never have to worry about whether my transport will actually turn up. Being stuck in traffic in an EV isn't so unpleasant anyway and the convenience of having the car near the office and being able to come and go as I wanted was a luxury I had missed out on for 11 years.

Anyway after lockdown I moved to working from home and occasionally going in to the office, with hindsight I would have been tired of the traffic very quickly but I don't think I would have gone back to the train. If I go in now it costs about the same to drive the MX-5 and park as the train, driving is more pleasant even with petrol and legwork.

Knowing Deutsche Bahn, I'd say you got stuck in traffic.

The road in question was the A8 from Stuttgart to Karlsruhe. ;) While the train was packed (as in “lucky to find a place to stand”), it wasn’t delayed much.

I’m from a place where “traffic” is four cars stuck behind a tractor.

A rather different environment from the ones I usually move in. But yes, hard to make a case for public transport when the population is that sparse.

While the train was packed (as in “lucky to find a place to stand”), it wasn’t delayed much.

Still remember when one of the DB conductors was so confused as to why between the seating by the transfer doors, they were so confused and annoyed why people were crowded up after all the seats were taken. Train was an hour late, and you’re surprised it’s crowded midday?

Starting to understand Dad's hatred of the tax office. I just haemorrhaged 70k in 4 minutes. Fucking bullshit.

I still have 10 bills for council rates at various addresses, sitting on my desk, due at the end of the month.

Still remember when one of the DB conductors was so confused as to why between the seating by the transfer doors, they were so confused and annoyed why people were crowded up after all the seats were taken. Train was an hour late, and you’re surprised it’s crowded midday?
I'm yet to see a conductor or 'revenue protection officer' as they call them here (no kidding) who isn't clearly in it for the sense of power. It's not a job I would want, I'd be much happier up front as the driver.

YouTubers that put music over a section of video that is louder than they are talking...

As someone who used to edit video and some audio stuff, it angers me when people suck with audio balancing.

@Dr_Grip - Can't quote your quote, it seems, but after Tuesday, I agree.

Had a YouTuber (that dad has been sort of grooming to put a race on at Mo-Kan) setup for a private test session for a car he's taking to Detroit for Roadkill Nights. He was supposed to be there at noon, at noon he said 1 pm. They didn't show up until nearly 3 pm. I had a medic, Gena and myself on the clock for three extra hours because this guy can't keep an appointment.

The filming went okay, but it was like a freaking reality show. They had a plot in mind and would flat lie to the camera about what was going on. Which was annoying because the lie was, the car was spinning. It wasn't. I had that track glued down. He just wasn't giving it enough launch RPM, it would bog and buck.

Then they talked about filming the motorhome going down the track as an outro. I left everything hooked up so they could, they didn't end up doing that. So I lost about an hour due to that.

This is annoying...

Last edited:
YouTubers that put music over a section of video that is louder than they are talking...
Like this one?

Yeah this really irritates me. I'm a patron of the Late Brake Show and a few other YouTube creators. They usually release videos early and this gives us a chance to find any issues and point them out so they can be fixed. In the case of the Late Brake Show they just don't seem to take any of it on board, despite obvious and constant audio issues that keep being mentioned.

When it's just one or two people making videos on their own it's one thing but they now apparently have a small production team and yet there are still audio level issues. The latest video had two people talking and one was noticeably louder than the other. OK so maybe both tracks were recorded to a single audio file, then you have to apply auto gain or sit there and chop up the audio to reduce the levels of one or increase the levels of the other. They never speak over each other so it wouldn't be an issue. It's getting to the point where I want them to give me a job doing what they clearly can't.

Using an apostrophe to pluralize is bad enough...but it's especially annoying when they are this inconsistent.

Why are "SOFA'S" and "RECLINER'S" the right place for it, but not "MATTRESSES" and "STORAGE BEDS"?

AND RIGHT NEXT TO EACH OTHER?!

IMG_20220813_195554.jpg