The "Things that annoy me" thread

In the last two days I haven't been able to express my disdain by sounding my air horn towards car driving people endangering me.

Translation: even though for whatever reason the perceived traffic tripled or quadrupled in the last two days everybody drove considerate. There were even people who yielded to me even though they had the right of way. :shock2:

...Wait, this is the wrong thread for this, isn't it? :think:

Right, an annoyance then: the current project at work (migrating a tobit david server to a Microsoft Exchange server) always comes up with new pitfalls. Today I discovered that someone configured a rule in a folder where mails are coming in from outside to work in a way that those mails are being redirected to two mail addresses outside the company. Other folders have rules which solely work as a makeshift mailing list because apparently the tobit david isn't capable of setting up mailing lists which are accessible from the outside... :-?

People who cannot understand the concept of personal space, so I'm sitting at the bar minding my own business, some dickhead marches in, grabs a stool, pushes it so close to me he actually hits my knee, then sits down on it all whithout even agknowleging me......really asshole? Would you like to come sit on my lap?

Seriously , I expect the 'acidentally' poking with elbows to get me to move over will start in a minute ( well know technique used by certain types of people to literally stake their territory or some caveman shit).....some people really must have a deathwish.

Last edited:
I had a quiz today for school. The question was like, "In chapter 6 of the textbook, this situation would be called..." and then the multiple choice answer choices were A, B, "both of the above", and "none of these are correct".

The situation would be answer "A".

But this came from Chapter 5, not chapter 6.

So I answered "none are correct:"

It was marked wrong.

So now I have to write an email to the teacher, to argue for my answer, and hope they change it, and write it in a super positive way so they don't shut me down (like one of my other classes).

Speaking of the other class....

I took a timed test, and scored a 77%. I was disappointed. But, I had a few minutes left to open the test, and knew that a re-take would only be penalized 15 points, so I thought I'd try again and that it would "keep the best score". I thought maybe I mis-clicked some answers or something, and would surely get a better score if I made sure to carefully re-read everything, and confirm my answers more carefully, even if the final score got penalized. I scored 78% on the 2nd attempt, and that attempt's score got bumped down to 63% because it was "late".

Here's why this sucks: the program saw that 78% as the better score, so it booted out the on-time 77% score, and THEN took off the 15%.

Then I started to go through the ones I got wrong on my first attempt, and there were some I *clearly* got right, and some I got wrong because I misunderstood his not-super-great english-as-a-second (or third? fourth?)-language grammar...so the only reason I even TOOK a second try, and got many of the same questions wrong, was because the questions were flawed in the first place.

When I brought it up, he simply said "I will look at questions later, but I stated many times this class that late work is mark down." I followed up by email, but haven't heard back.

Both are "online only" classes, since I can't attend any in-person classes, and neither teacher has available appointment time slots before the end of the semester in their "office hours"...they are fully booked.

I'm annoyed that so many shoes have molded foam soles, rather than the layered foam with the durable rubber tread layer. I must've tried on 40 pairs of shoes today, only found 2 that were comfortable, and both had the "marshmallow" soles, which I dislike. I find then too slippery in the wet, they wear much too quickly, and I find they don't offer enough support as the foam compresses too quickly.

I'm annoyed that so many shoes have molded foam soles, rather than the layered foam with the durable rubber tread layer. I must've tried on 40 pairs of shoes today, only found 2 that were comfortable, and both had the "marshmallow" soles, which I dislike. I find then too slippery in the wet, they wear much too quickly, and I find they don't offer enough support as the foam compresses too quickly.
I agree. That's annoying.

I also have special requirements when it comes to shoes. on average, I tend to walk more than 10 km every day, usually more during the summer half of the year, and all of that is on hard surfaces, so soft soles are the only way to go for me. For the past three years I have been a user of the Hoka Clifton 8 and the Skechers GoRun UltraGo MaxCushion (can't find them anywhere, seems to be discontinued). I have a problem that all of my shoes tends to get completely destroyed at the back where my achilles rubs against the back of the shoe for some reason, and it's worse on my right foot. When I look underneath, they wear evenly, so I don't know.

Unfortunately, it seems like the combination of comfortable soft soles and durability are mutually exclusive, as these shoes lasts me no more than one season, before they are worn through the rubber grip layer on the bottom and the back side, inside the shoes are worn to shreds.

I have a problem that all of my shoes tends to get completely destroyed at the back where my achilles rubs against the back of the shoe for some reason, and it's worse on my right foot.
It might not be the wear and tear from just walking, instead of the wear and tear of slipping in/out of the shoes. How loose do you get the laces/whatever it is which ties down the shoes before you slip in/out of them? Do you use a shoehorn?

It might not be the wear and tear from just walking, instead of the wear and tear of slipping in/out of the shoes. How loose do you get the laces/whatever it is which ties down the shoes before you slip in/out of them? Do you use a shoehorn?
I normally don't bother tying them very tight, so I don't have to tie them every time I slip in/out. I also use a shoehorn whenever I have one available, like I do at home. :dunno:

Man, shoehorns are something I wish I got in the habit of years ago. Nearly every single pair of shoes I've owned wore prematurely in the heel on the inside.

Get you a long-handled one, and putting on shoes can be almost like putting on slippers (assuming your shoe's tongue isn't loose)
1669762490840.png

I'm a big fan of hiking style shoes that have loops on the back, I'm generally comitted to tying and untying though. I've sometimes consider the Croc for slipping on and off quickly to go outside, but I've resisted.

As far as wear and damage goes, for me it's more like finding a pair that doesn't damage me. Many times I've bought shoes and found later that they cause blisters. Particularly boots. It's taken me three (rather expensive) pairs to find a pair that don't badly rub the back of my heel.

Anyway as far as soles go the soles on my current Skechers are thin but have quick good tread, that is slowly wearing down. A Scarpa pair I bought in 2021 and forgot about have quite thick Vibram sole, those are sold as approach shoes though. It's what I tend to go for, trail or least extreme hiking shoes.

Shoehorns? Man I thought I was old......

Nah, they can be made cool...just decorate them with stickers from RC Cola, Andy Capp, and Fibber McGee and Molly, or whatever the kids are into these days. *coughs dust*

I've ordered a new 2TB SSD (M.2 NVMe PCIe 3.1 x4) as a replacement for the only HDD which is left in my PC. Yesterday I received the SSD and connected it to my mainboard (the M.2 slots are "PCIe Gen3", not specifically 3.0 or 3.1), but even in the UEFI it didn't show up, even in the slot which is currently populated with an M.2 NVMe PCIe 3.0 x4-SSD. Today I tested the SSD in one of the laptops we have at work and it shows up just fine.

Damn it, is the difference between PCIe 3.0 and 3.1 really that important? Usually slots and cards should negotiate the lowest common denominator, I don't care about the speed of that particular SSD since it's just raw storage anyway...

I haven't heard of that. I found someone asking if they can use the 980 Pro I bought recently (a PCIe 4.0 SDD) with my PCIe 3.0 motherboard and the answer was yes, just at 3.0 speeds as you would expect.

The only other thing I can think of is a X2/X4 setting like my board has, sharing bandwidth with SATA ports. Maybe the old SSD is fine with X2 and the new isn't. Otherwise I'm stumped. :unsure:

The only other thing I can think of is a X2/X4 setting like my board has, sharing bandwidth with SATA ports. Maybe the old SSD is fine with X2 and the new isn't. Otherwise I'm stumped. :unsure:
Yes, the M.2 slots are indeed sharing bandwidth/lanes with SATA ports and PCIe slots, but the M.2 Gen3 slot where my current boot SSD is located is indeed x4 and the new SSD doesn't work there either. :( I've tried both M.2 slots, one of them is x4, the other is x2, both are PCIe Gen3.

I'd recommend the obligatory BIOS update and looking through the motherboard manual for any gotchas, otherwise you could fall back to my idea of getting a PCIe RAID card and putting the new SSD on there, with space for a second one. :p

Well no wonder the house as felt cold. The thermostat has been set to 68F, and reading that the ambient temp is 68F but it's still felt...lower than that. Not "cold", but 68F didn't seem right.

So I took out the meat thermometer, and it's registering 63.6F.

Then I grabbed an old 70s Stihl Chainsaws promo thermometer from the garage, let it warm up for a bit, and it also showed about 64F.

I *knew* my blood wasn't getting that thin yet. Still got my 'sconnie blood...

see-now-this-all-makes-sense-david.gif

[edit]
OK, fortunately it seems it was just the SATA cable which I might have not reconnected properly after my tests with the aforementioned SSD. A tool which reads SMART parameters tells me the the health status is good. Phew...
[/edit]

Are you f*ing kidding me? Now that I have a non-working (in my PC) replacement for the HDD said HDD gives up the ghost? :shakefist: I started my PC after returning from work, the startup lasted a long time and Windows "repaired" the partition on that HDD. Now when I open the Windows Explorer that partition shows up, but it endlessly loads and doesn't show the space. I can't even access the partition via command line...

Last edited:
Renault Zoe low speed sounds. I live on a through street and there's enough jackasses with those cars around here I now hate the sound they make with a passion. It's up there with "small trailer and like 3 things in it that bounces around at morning and evening and commute times."

Oh yeah, heard a Renault Zoe at a low speed while walking back home the other day. My first reaction was: "why is this thing so noisy?"