The "Things that annoy me" thread

1674593700706.png

Ever so slightly lower, because Slovenia has 22% VAT, whereas Croatia has 25%. The only country with higher VAT in Europe is Hungary (27%). Speaking of Hungary, that's where the distributor for East-Central Europe (Slovenia, Croatia, Hungary, Czechia, Slovakia, maybe some other country as well) is located, and they dictate the prices. I doubt the Hungarian VAT is the reason for such prices, but the distributor themself rather instead.

If I were to buy a Mac, I'd import it from Germany, or if I can persuade my uncle to smuggle one, from Switzerland (the cheapest place to buy a new Apple product in Europe, allegedly). But if I wanted a MacBook, I can't get a local keyboard other than in Croatia or Slovenia. While technically you should be able to buy one with a CRO/SLO keyboard in Austria, maybe in Germany as well, on local Apple forums, nobody bragged about managing to pull that off, at least not in a manner that'd make financial sense.

FedEx delivered a package for someone else today because an extra label from one of my packages ended up on this huge heavy box.

Trying to get ahold of FedEx and have them pick it back up was not an easy task. The automated messaging system couldn't get the job done, so I called. Of course it's also initially automated and doesn't work worth a crap. The guy that answered was nice enough, but I'm not sure if he constantly repeated himself or if there was a connection issue. Then the survey at the end was automated and didn't work either.

Hopefully they come get this universal attachment plate for tractor and skid loaders. Or I'm going to haul it for scrap.

Now... Get off my lawn!

FedEx delivered a package for someone else today because an extra label from one of my packages ended up on this huge heavy box.

Trying to get ahold of FedEx and have them pick it back up was not an easy task. The automated messaging system couldn't get the job done, so I called. Of course it's also initially automated and doesn't work worth a crap. The guy that answered was nice enough, but I'm not sure if he constantly repeated himself or if there was a connection issue. Then the survey at the end was automated and didn't work either.

Hopefully they come get this universal attachment plate for tractor and skid loaders. Or I'm going to haul it for scrap.

Now... Get off my lawn!
Do the same rules apply to FedEx as I think they do for USPS, where if a company sends you something, it's yours? Where they can ask, but can't charge/fine you for it if you don't return it to discourage fraud attempts...but does FedEx fall under that same rule? (or, heck...am I completely misunderstanding the rule in the first place)

Last edited:
DO the same rules apply to FedEx as I think they do for USPS, where if a company sends you something, it's yours? Where they can ask, but can't charge/fine you for it if you don't return it to discourage fraud attempts...but does FedEx fall under that same rule? (or, heck...am I completely misunderstanding the rule in the first place)

Dunno, but if this isn't picked up by Monday I'll haul it off or try and get ahold of the person it's actually meant for.

I have no use for this, it's already built into our two tractors. Plus, it's a $400 item on Amazon. The folks (in another state, but about 40 miles from me) probably would like to have it.

I once ordered a set of cheap knock-off color toner cartridges for my color multifunction printer from eBay. What I got was a brown UPS branded box the size of the entire printer. Said box contained many white generic boxes, one of which had my toner in it, the rest was similar looking boxes, each with dozens of big colorful wax candles. The box with the toner was missing the lid with the shipping label on it. I promptly found it taped to the big UPS box.

I guess someone tipped over a pallet of candles or something and Decided To Resolve The Problem. Anyway, thanks for the candles.

Really tired of these "stainless" shower curtains rings rusting...

Probably the cheaper 409 stainless. 304 stainless is what you want.

I can remember in 2013, the jackass installing the heat exchanger for boiler exhaust cheaped out and oversized the heat exchanger. So the massive temp drop across caused condensation and corrosion within 1 year. That was nice. :/

Now... Get off my lawn!

My sister had a similar situation a few years ago. Called the delivery company to have them come get it, but they never came.

I usually put on something to watch while I wash dishes or cook, but lately, more and more, I keep getting 35+ minute-long ads in YouTube...but the worst part is that they always seem to pop up right when I've got myself wrist-deep in raw chicken or ground beef.
20230125_104106.jpg
Screenshot_20221206-201555_YouTube.jpg

Install uBlock Origin (if you're using a device which lets you install it) and you won't be pestered by annoying ads ever again.

Install uBlock Origin (if you're using a device which lets you install it) and you won't be pestered by annoying ads ever again.

One was my TV (no add block app) and the other is my phone that stopped all YouTube when I had it. :(

Paying for YouTube premium is worth it - you can share it with your household group and you get YouTube music.

Now... Get off my lawn!

Same driver today. Dropped off some parts for me and picked up the errant package. Said he even knows the people the thing was supposed to go to. Just shows good address labels make a difference.

Paying for YouTube premium is worth it - you can share it with your household group and you get YouTube music.

Honestly, if I wasn't on a fixed (no) income, I could justify paying for YouTube. Until then, I'll just have to bitch and moan about it. Ha! I normally have no problem with ads, but a 45 minute "break" in a 6 minute video is...a bit much.

Last edited:
I've considered YouTube premium. I pay for Spotify, I support some people on Patreon and I get angry at the adverts on mobile or through the TV. It should all add up. I like Spotify a lot though and have lots of playlists so I don't want to move away from it. I also wouldn't want to stop supporting people on Patreon so all I would get is no adverts on mobile and TV.

I've switched my phone browser to Duck and installed their VPN, which really cuts down on the mobile ads. Normal adblocking browser plugins work on PC. We have YouTube Premium that we share with another couple, which also gets us YouTube Music.

If you can give up Spotify for YouTube music, your expenses would be about the same and you'd get ad-free videos.

Local news. My local news runs for at least 1.5 hours (one station is 2.5) and struggle to fill the time with news. So they throw in a bunch of soft public interest nonsense. Today's highlight was spouse appreciation day. They finished it off by telling viewers to make sure to use the hashtag to show you care.

Yes, it is the hashtag that really shows that you care.

This is not the only thing, but I think it is the straw that broke the camel's back.

Neighborhood transformer just exploded. Have a full sheet pan of bacon in the oven about 1/2 done. The new gas range doesn't work without power, it even the stovetops. Gas grilles propane tank is empty. Power won't come back on for almost 2 more hours.