The Tools and Workshop Thread

Blind_Io

"Be The Match" Registered
DONOR
Car(s)
See signature
We have a thread for power tools - but why should power tools get all the love? Here's a place to post and talk about all tools, regardless of power source as well as general workshop setups, tips, and tricks.

A recent addition to the tool chest:

1667240492448.png

These are fantastic hex keys and I love the color coded sleeves.

I also added some JIS drivers - beat the hell out of of Phillips.
1667240615334.png

Man, I've wanted a colorful set of hex wrenches like that for years.

I fell for the Bondhus T-handle hex wrenches, when you get a good spin on you feel like you're on Battlebots

1667262626648.png

I've also got my third toolkit advent calendar this year. First I had Lidl Powerfix Profi, then Wera and this time Sealey, which happens to include colour coded hex keys. I don't have a toolkit to keep in the Freelander yet and the Wera one is too damn useful right next to me.

Wait, there are tool advent calendars?! How am I just now learning this?!

Three for one:

The T-handle is a 3/8 Motion Pro - the blue section is on bearings, allowing you to spin the handle in place. I also have a 1/4 size. Make any socket into a T-handle.

Old baking pans are great in the shop: they hold tools, fasteners, catch leaks or drips, and are a great place to clean small parts.

Finally, keep old area rugs from the house for the shop, it helps hold small parts you might drop so they don't end up skittering across the floor. (They are also easier on the feet than cold concrete.)

PXL_20221101_013302650.jpg

Last edited:
Wait, there are tool advent calendars?! How am I just now learning this?!
There are several different types, and because they aren't tied to any years you can get whichever older one you want if you can find it. Wera have done many, the 2021 version is probably my favourite. I first found out about them in 2017 when Ashens had one, that was actually a very good set too. Techmoan had the same one as me last year.

They're small sets that contain just the tools you would want, as far as I can tell they aren't sets you can usually buy so they pretty damn good value for money.

2017 Wera set:
1667325340447.png

2021 Wera set:
1667325409395.png

There's usually a slightly pointless bottle opener but that's the Christmas novelty, otherwise just great quality hand tools.

I love Wera tools. I only have a couple items so far, but eventually I want to get a full set of wrenches, sockets, and torque wrenches.

Huh, that 2017 set looks really nice for an advent calendar… just googled this years collection and it seems sort of pointless 🤷‍♂️

Let me post one of my favorites here, which I realized again this week after having to strip about 150 wires (q: is that how you say it? Remove the little bit of insulation to connect the wire to anything really) for lights in our house with a bloody knife because I forgot the thing back on the apartment 🤦‍♂️🤦‍♂️🤦‍♂️
1667328073310.jpeg

I learned of those from an Adam Savage video, and then realized I actually saw them all the time but didn't realize what it was. Didn't think about it when I saw someone using one out if the corner of my eye. I assumed it was some sort of crimper at the time.

Huh, that 2017 set looks really nice for an advent calendar… just googled this years collection and it seems sort of pointless 🤷‍♂️
Yes every other year or so seems pointless, although they will be good. Any time there's a big bottle opener raises a red flag for me. Hence going for the Sealey.

I love Wera tools. I only have a couple items so far, but eventually I want to get a full set of wrenches, sockets, and torque wrenches.

They're very good, although I've kind of been put off some items by the Project Farm tests. I wanted a ratchet driver but the LTT one was considerably better in the tests. I'm a little worried about the rubber going bad as AvE once showed, no sign of it yet but I don't get the drivers oil or greasy.

I have the same Knipex strippers Adam has, so much better than the alternative styles. I don't spend a lot of time stripping wires but it just removes the chance for frustration.

What I learned from Project Farm is that Wera has some very nice features and their finish is fantastic, but Gear Wrench is pretty consistently the strongest and best per dollar. I've been very happy with my Gear Wrench ratchets so far, but I currently have a mix of Husky, Tekton, and Gear Wrench. I found the Tekton sockets don't always like to hold on to the Motion Pro T-handles either, which is frustrating.

Got myself a little something on sale to replace my crappy Harbor Freight multimeter.

PXL_20221127_205759211.jpg

Let me post one of my favorites here, which I realized again this week after having to strip about 150 wires (q: is that how you say it? Remove the little bit of insulation to connect the wire to anything really) for lights in our house with a bloody knife because I forgot the thing back on the apartment 🤦‍♂️🤦‍♂️🤦‍♂️
Two other wire strippers I seen recommended on YT were the Knipex ErgoStrip and the more expensive Knipex PreciStrip16

+1 for Knipex!

Got myself a little something on sale to replace my crappy Harbor Freight multimeter.

View attachment 3567833

I used an older version of that meter with my old job. That meter traveled with me across the US for 9 years before I left the company.

Ordered myself a new router last weekend, tumbling down the stairs after trying to carry too much stuff in one go didn't do the old one any good :ROFLMAO:. It was a cheap and crappy thing to start with but now it is also crooked and almost impossible to push it down. After looking at reviews ended up with a Bosch POF 1400 ACE. Payed 84euro for it + a free set of bits while costing 145-200+euro in most DIY shops around here, so I'm quite pleased. Should be a lot better than the cheap thing I had laying around for the last 10 years or so. Rarely used it because it was a piece of crap, even though I had/have plenty of jobs where a decent router would make things a lot easier.

Oh knipex is great… but those two linked above probably cost about 10x as much as the one I have here 🤣
I have a Facom 793936PB, couldn't remember it being really expensive so wanted to recommend that one but I appear to have real poor memory since it costs 75-100euro :oops:.
Bought it when I had to strip hundreds of wire ends while renovating our house and got fed up with it since we used these automatic wire strippers where I worked at that time and knew how much easier it would be with those. Must have been really fed up that I went and bought a 100euro tool for it :ROFLMAO:.

Must have been really fed up that I went and bought a 100euro tool for it :ROFLMAO:.
Haha for sure, after I forgot my tool I was really rather annoyed - so I can understand blowing a bunch of money.
For the record, I think my jokari was 13€ or so? 🙈

Does anyone have any strong opinions one way or the other about the 3M vs Honeywell options in the disposable P100 respirator arena? These will be for guests, for working with concrete for about an hour.