The Tools and Workshop Thread

Today I learned you have a Jeep Comanche.
The Comanche is the one based on the XJ Cherokee. This is a Gladiator.

I really need to do a thread for it.

Finally got myself a set of metric Big Gator drill and tap guides. I haven't used them yet as they only arrived today but they're just nice to handle, beautifully made bits of kit.

I've had the smaller diameter guide saved in my Amazon basket for probably a year now but it would have to come from the US and the price was quite high. When watching Colin Furze's latest workshop tricks video, I noticed his had stickers on from a local seller. Said seller not only had them all in the UK but sold them for a lower price than Amazon, so I bought the set. Mine didn't come with stickers on them though.

Strategic Transfer of Equipment to Alternate Location (STEAL)

In other news, I'm putting together a new tool roll for the truck since the off road tools from the X now belong to the Wrangler.

I'm keeping it pretty simple:
  • A set of metric combination wrenches from Husky
  • Combination screwdriver from Klien
  • Slip joint pliers
  • Needle nose pliers
  • Diagonal cutters
  • Channel lock pliers
  • Valve stem tool and cores
  • 3/8 socket set (6-point) and ratchet
  • 3/8 to 1/2 adapter for the larger sockets
  • Socket extension
  • Maybe a pry tool.
  • Spare fuses
  • Gorilla tape
  • Zip ties

Am I forgetting anything? This will live in the truck under the seat

Last edited:
Strategic Transfer of Equipment to Alternate Location (STEAL)

In other news, I'm putting together a new tool roll for the truck since the off road tools from the X now belong to the Wrangler.

I'm keeping it pretty simple:
  • A set of metric combination wrenches from Husky
  • Combination screwdriver from Klien
  • Slip joint pliers
  • Needle nose pliers
  • Diagonal cutters
  • Channel lock pliers
  • Valve stem tool and cores
  • 3/8 socket set (6-point) and ratchet
  • 3/8 to 1/2 adapter for the larger sockets
  • Socket extension
  • Maybe a pry tool.
  • Spare fuses
  • Gorilla tape
  • Zip ties

Am I forgetting anything? This will live in the truck under the seat
A BFH.
Small roll of stainless or galvanized wire.

I'd say definitely on a pry tool.

I'd rather go for a normal tube of 2-part epoxy and some sticks.

The summer temperatures here just cook any glues you try to store and in 15+ years I've never needed epoxy.

I carried some plumber's strap and some hardware.

Yes that seems to be it, the sizes can get a bit confusing....

Jaw+Gap+Conversion+Chart.jpg

Was browsing old posts in this thread, and the chart gave me an idea.
As I am also lucky to need to deal with imperial bolts, I have a set of tools in confusing fractional dimensions...

One shadow-foam sheet later:

shadowfoam.jpg

As I am also lucky to need to deal with imperial bolts, I have a set of tools in confusing fractional dimensions..
View attachment 3570098

Speaking of confusing fractions,, I was door stop shopping recently, and some of the listings had dimensions in 1/5" increments, and one was in 1/3" increments.

We call them "Freedom Fractions"

Can anyone recommend a multi tool that includes folding pruning shears? Leatherman don't appear to make one, neither does Gerber. Leatherman used to make the Vista.

I want something I can carry around like a Leatherman but that can also chop branches and such, as the weather this year has apparently been amazing for really long branches of thorns to grow across footpaths. I had to go around one the other week that was on a narrow riverside path, almost a 'save the camera' incident. I'm not going to carry a full pair of shears around, nor am I prepared to gnaw at a branch with a tiny saw.

There are these types but I doubt they're any good.
1699463133059.png

Suggestions welcome. Not really any budget if it'll be something I use regularly. It might be possible to get a used Vista but they stopped making them in 2010.

I feel you on wanting an out of production Leatherman, apparently people collect those. I found the Juice S2 to be my sweet-spot for pocket multitools and they haven't been made since 2014, finding a good one means forking out some serious cash.

I feel you on wanting an out of production Leatherman, apparently people collect those. I found the Juice S2 to be my sweet-spot for pocket multitools and they haven't been made since 2014, finding a good one means forking out some serious cash.
Yeah I've since found out that the Vista is rare and expensive and... a bit crap aside from the shears.

Searching for 'Leatherman Vista' on eBay just got me two physical photographs of half-naked blokes wearing leather. Seriously. Both in Canada too. :ROFLMAO:

Last edited:
Same here. I have 2 spares I snagged off ebay a while back.

3-ton jack made for use on dirt and to lift tall vehicles. The old jack was getting a little too old and didn't have the reach to get to the Wrangler's chassis.
1000002908.jpg

I started putting some mud flaps on the truck and discovered the sway bar reinforcement bracket and the mud flap mounting bracket are trying to occupy the same space.

So I bought a new thing.

PXL_20231231_210851846.jpg

So, most of Finland has had about a week long cold spell, about -30C or -20F or thereabouts. Everything related to "winter" in the auto trade is completely and utterly sold out and in some cases on intergalactic back-order. Batteries, chargers, grille covers, fuel additives, all sorst of heaters and accessories, etc.

Some years back I bought a CTEK battery charger called "MXS 5.0 POLAR" that supposedly has cables that work down to -30C. It's also orange instead of grey which is interesting I guess. Last night I sent their customer support a picture showing how my charger had turned into a fishing rod... at exactly the advertised -30 which is what we had on thursday.

My father needed a new charger since his identical Ctek crapped out after only using it a few times. He bought a NOCO Genius 10 which seems good. They also do a Genius 5 which is a direct comparison (5A) but it can't hurt to have twice the amps.

A typical issue with smart chargers is that they need a little bit of voltage to figure out that there's a battery connected. If the battery is down to absolute zero the charger simply doesn't turn on because it can't tell it's hooked up to anything. The NOCO has a "Force" mode that turns on the charging regardless, until there's enough juice there to resume normal smart charging.

1704532742020.png