The Top Gear Subtitle Project

If you go sign up at www.swsub.com, you can ask them to record the actual broadcasts with subtitles on screen. They run that through an Optical Character Recognition program to produce a text file transcript, which is uploaded here. I'm attempting to turn a transcript for [07x04] into subtitles using one of these transcripts (despite my own hearing impairment). Unfortunately, these transcripts appear to have been made off a repeat on a channel with adverts (i.e. a couple of minutes is missing to create space for ads). Bear in mind that TV subtitles aren't verbatim - to save time and space, they may summarise what is being said (the meaning is the same; just sometimes not every spoken word is included).

I suggest we try to use these transcrips where possible and seek help here to fill in the editted out parts. It would quicker and more easier than people manually making transcripts for each episode as was done for the Polar Challenge and early subtitles on here.

The links on the spreadsheet don't work at all.

italiansubs.net will terminate translation of season 10 and will start asap with season 11. I will upload them as soon as i make them on opensubtitle.org,you'll find them there so you can update your spreadsheet.
I hope you leave the credits as they are.

re

re

So, any news about subs for season 11?

I am ok without them but a lot of my friends needs them and i would like to spread the show ...

Anyone could confirm this?
[YOUTUBE]YjtfnODNcck[/YOUTUBE]

I have used a proxy, but I couldn't download the subtitles.....

I have can have the video 30 days in my pc, but only 7 since the first view, so I'll try with OCR programs before, for having the subtitles with the synchro in perfects conditions

This is weird... I can't see embedded youtube vids and the flash mp3 player, but i can see the vids on the youtube page. :?

Count me in.

Count me in.

hey guys I am way touched by your devoting spirits. And I think it is also time for me to do sth. I can count more than 20k TG lovers in Taiwan, Hongkong, Macau, Mainland China and given number of Chinese spking people around the world. I think I can be a part of this amazing project with my Chinese language mastery. But I worry about the time needed. Thus I think I can only afford to translate English subs into Chinese rather than make one from raw.

Pround to be part of this!

You can translate from the English subtitles, but we need the English subtitles for the new episodes.

So if you want to help us with this..............

I've found someone on UKNova who has produced subtitles (not just a transcript, but subtitles with timings) for [02x01] and [10x10] from the Dave broadcasts. Therefore they'll have about 15 mins missing and might need to be resync-ed. However, that's better than nothing. You can download them from rapidshare here. I'm hoping she might be able to do more for us. She tried the Sunday broadcast of [11x02] but the live subs are a mess (as swsub pointed out) but she may do the Friday repeat instead.

EDIT: She has now produced subtitles for [02x02], [02x03], [02x04] and [02x05] in addition to the [02x01] and [10x10] I mentioned before. These are all from the Dave broadcasts, which means they have been cut to 45mins to make space for adverts. Therefore rather than upload them to the opensubtitles or other subtitle sites, I've uploaded to the google email address used for the Polar Special subtitles in the hope that someone can add the missing parts and then upload the whole show to opensubtitles. To download them, go to http://www.gmail.com and log in as:
tg.subtitles@gmail.com
password: finalgear
Please don't change the password

Last edited:
I've found someone on UKNova who has produced subtitles (not just a transcript, but subtitles with timings) for [02x01] and [10x10] from the Dave broadcasts. Therefore they'll have about 15 mins missing and might need to be resync-ed. However, that's better than nothing. You can download them from rapidshare here. I'm hoping she might be able to do more for us. She tried the Sunday broadcast of [11x02] but the live subs are a mess (as swsub pointed out) but she may do the Friday repeat instead.

EDIT: She has now produced subtitles for [02x02], [02x03], [02x04] and [02x05] in addition to the [02x01] and [10x10] I mentioned before. These are all from the Dave broadcasts, which means they have been cut to 45mins to make space for adverts. Therefore rather than upload them to the opensubtitles or other subtitle sites, I've uploaded to the google email address used for the Polar Special subtitles in the hope that someone can add the missing parts and then upload the whole show to opensubtitles. To download them, go to http://www.gmail.com and log in as:
tg.subtitles@gmail.com
password: finalgear
Please don't change the password

Well the gmail acount password is changed.Somebody has changed :((.

I had the same problem with my account.

I shared my accout and my pass, and someone changed it and delete the project.

I was lucky because gmail members coul solve this :p

Now I am able to donwload the new episodes with subtitles in the screen. And they are the friday ones (I think because I wasn't able to see it...I have not enough time :p)

I need to have time to learn how to create the subtitles with time to the .srt file with any software....

If someone want to have more information about the TG new episodes, must write me a email to substopgear@gmail.com, I can't talk about this in public :p

With my account I have the problem when someone changed the pass O_O? (I reset it and changed for a new one....)

But, now I need help.....could anybody use a OCR for me?
I'm having problems with this, and program can't "understand" the words, so I have to write this in each dialogue :(

Hi, my name's Javier i'm from Argentina and i'm translating top gear subs into spanish too. I wanna know if someone has the english subtitles for the Britcar 24 Hour Endurance Race in Silverstone (series 10 episode 9). I can only found'em in polish and that's not gonna help me, actually :p

Thanks in advance ^^

Hi, my name's Javier i'm from Argentina and i'm translating top gear subs into spanish too. I wanna know if someone has the english subtitles for the Britcar 24 Hour Endurance Race in Silverstone (series 10 episode 9). I can only found'em in polish and that's not gonna help me, actually :p

Thanks in advance ^^

I've got the transcript but It needs to be synched, or I've got the english subtitle synched by me but it's definitely not nice and correct regarding the form (no uppercase, no punctuation ect...), it's just meant to be used for translation.
Anyway give me your e-mail by pm and we can reach a private understanding.
Contact me.

Thanks a billion for creating this amazing and fantastic project. It will help all love the great show a looooooooooooooot..............!

I've got the transcript but It needs to be synched, or I've got the english subtitle synched by me but it's definitely not nice and correct regarding the form (no uppercase, no punctuation ect...), it's just meant to be used for translation.
Anyway give me your e-mail by pm and we can reach a private understanding.
Contact me.

I've sent you a pm, if you've those subs you'll help me a lot

Top Gear has amazing videos and many people will be glad of seeing them in spanish...translation and timing is a hard work but it's worth it, this show definitly worths it :mrgreen:

See ya :cool:

Uploaded English and Spanish subtitles for TG 10x03 onto opensubtitles.org. Took a while, but they're there.