The Top Gear Subtitle Project

Dreamer

hello I m from spain, and the first I have to say is please excuse my englis, I have been waching top gear and final gear same years now but my englis is not to good I have several problens understanding it. I suggest to post some subtitles to be more easy to understand to the people of foregin countris who don?t now very well englis, I will be happy if the subtiles were in englis but if you could be able to find it in spanis I will be very happy. thats all, I will be specting your answer.

Thread moved and renamed.

hello I m from spain, and the first I have to say is please excuse my englis, I have been waching top gear and final gear same years now but my englis is not to good I have several problens understanding it. I suggest to post some subtitles to be more easy to understand to the people of foregin countris who don?t now very well englis, I will be happy if the subtiles were in englis but if you could be able to find it in spanis I will be very happy. thats all, I will be specting your answer.

The original BBC show, if you watch it on the TV, comes with teletext subtitles. Not much use, admittedly, in this case.

Since I don't know of any rips that come with subtitles [though I've seen things a bit like it on YouTube], if you want to post any bits you have difficulty with, I'll try and transcribe [write the English out for you] them for you :)

I think this is an interesting idea - a Top Gear subtitling project - not sure how useful it would be though - can you put subtitles into a divx avi?

I know you can load in a subtitles file to a realmedia file.

You can create the subtitles in a program such as Subtitle Workshop and create a separate file for them. Then, using VobSub codec you can display subtitles from a .srt file with the video you're watching, provided their names (minus the extension, obviously) are the same.

This has the advantage that there's no need to reencode, and if you don't want the subtitles, you don't need to see them.

You can make a subtitle file (timestamps and the text) and use a program like vobsub as a plugin in your mediaplayer to put it on screen, fairly easy actually although somewhat time consuming, you write down what everyone says and when they say it (in frames or fractions of a second) you translate that and put the translated text instead of the english... there are some programs for this. you can also encode in a subfile into an avi but that makes it less versitile, making an additional subfile you can put in as many languages as you'd like in little extra space. or you could change format to OGM which is a good container format already equipped to handle multiple subtitle and audio tracks.

Would English subtitles be helpful for very many people?

Would English subtitles be helpful for very many people?

Well, text is easier to translate than spoken language, and even if you just keep the subtitles in English, many people are better at written than at spoken English, so having the actual words written on the screen would allow them to understand better what is being said. That's not to forget English-speaking deaf people, who would find English subtitles terribly useful.

I sometimes leave subtitles on when my wife decides to stay in the room with me while I'm watching Top Gear. That way I don't have to miss what they're saying but I also don't piss my wife off by telling her to shut up. :)

So we need someone to rip a version of Top Gear with Subtitles OR we need to start a subtitling project.

Anyone up for transcribing episodes of Top Gear?

I sometimes leave subtitles on when my wife decides to stay in the room with me while I'm watching Top Gear. That way I don't have to miss what they're saying but I also don't piss my wife off by telling her to shut up. :)

So we need someone to rip a version of Top Gear with Subtitles OR we need to start a subtitling project.

Anyone up for transcribing episodes of Top Gear?

I would be happy to do it. I slept on it and I think there would be a market for it. Besides, its about time I've given something back to the community from which I've taken so much.

I say we do every episode. Why not? Our rips are unusually good, so we should have proper subtitles. And we need all kinds of languages. I can foresee this turning into something huge.

And why not stop at Top Gear?

Well lets start with Top Gear :) Once we have the episodes subtitled into English it would be relatively easy for someone with two or more langauges to translate the transcript.

So should we just start with series 1 and release them in order as we go? - what format should we be doing them in?

Count me in. I have already finished subtitles in Spanish for 3x06 (took me several months!) but if we all collaborate, we could make terrible progress in no time. I would have no problem helping with the English transcription, and of course I could do the Spanish version once that is finished.

I say we start with series 1, and then continue in order. Or we could do it in parallel: subbing both the first series and the last. But that depends on how many people are involved, and how long it takes to finish each episode.

And once we are done with Top Gear, there's no reason not to do Fifth Gear and some of Jezza's other TV shows, like Motorworld or Car Years.

If someone is to do this, it should be Finalgear :)

Good stuff

The more people we can get involved the better. I agree - start with episode one and work from there.

So do we just grab an episode and trascribe as we watch? I could probably do an hour long episode in about 3 hours I think (I regularly transcribe from audio for work - writing up interviews etc so am used to it).

But it will take extra time to add correct time stamps so it may take a few days to do each episode.

What's the next stage after transcribing the episode - what software do we need to create

I'd say start with the latest season and work your way back instead. Most of the old episodes has been subtitled and aired in alot of countries already.

But having said that, the last series has already started to air, subtitled, here in sweden.

Last edited:
Please start it from the latest episodes, because most people are waiting for the them.

Last edited: