The Trump Presidency - how I stopped worrying and learned to love the Hair

GRtak

Forum Addict
Border Security Funding Talks Stalled, Government Shutdown Looms

Negotiations to stop another government shutdown have stalled, as lawmakers remain at an impasse over border security. If an agreement on funding the government isn't reached by Friday at midnight, the government could partially shut down again, just three weeks after the longest U.S. government shutdown in history.

Republican Sen. Richard Shelby, Chair of the Senate Appropriations Committee told Fox News Sunday he put the odds of a deal at 50-50. "I think the next 24 hours are crucial. We could close some deals, but they've got to be good, to secure our borders," Shelby said.

A Democratic congressional aide tells NPR talks have broken down over how many detention beds for Immigration and Customs Enforcement will be funded through the agreement. Democrats want to limit the number of beds to force the Trump administration to prioritize arresting and deporting serious criminals, not law-abiding immigrants.

President Trump has asked for $5.7 billion to fund a wall along the U.S. border with Mexico. On Sunday Trump tweeted that Democrats "are offering very little money for the desperately needed Border Wall & now, out of the blue, want a cap on convicted violent felons to be held in detention!"

I don’t think the Dems on the Border Committee are being allowed by their leaders to make a deal. They are offering very little money for the desperately needed Border Wall & now, out of the blue, want a cap on convicted violent felons to be held in detention!
— Donald J. Trump (@realDonaldTrump) February 10, 2019
According to The New York Times, "While Democrats refused to entertain the prospect of fulfilling Mr. Trump's $5.7 billion demand for a border wall, lawmakers had grown closer to accepting a number between $1.3 billion and $2 billion for physical barriers. But they also demanded the limit on ICE beds, as a way to force the agency to focus on detaining migrants with criminal records instead of people who have overstayed their visas."

Politico reports, "Lawmakers are discussing the possibility of a year-long continuing resolution bill but so far discussions have not led to a proposal that both House Democrats and Senate Republicans could get on board with."

Acting White House Chief of Staff Mick Mulvaney told NBC's Meet the Press that negotiations are "all over the map because of the Democrats" and that "the White House, at the request of all the parties on the Hill, have sort of stepped back. We're still participating, we're still listening, we're still talking, but we're not leading the negotiations."

When asked about funding for a border wall, Mulvaney said he "absolutely cannot" rule out another government shutdown. He added the "most likely outcome" is that Congress will reach a border security agreement Trump will sign.

Here we go again.

Blind_Io

Title Redacted for your Convenience
DONOR
Car(s)
06 Nissan XTerra Off Road, 00 VFR800, 07 ST1300
"Hey, you know that super unpopular thing I did that tanked my poll numbers and made the Democrats look good? Let's do that again!"

GRtak

Forum Addict
Pissed about what? Again, are they factoring in the decrease in taxes throughout the year? If you pay less taxes of course your refund will be less, seems pretty obvious, so the key here is to compare tax savings over the whole year to the decrease in refund. I just don't understand how this tax break can be a net negative mathematically but I'll let your know once I file.

LeVeL

Forum Addict
That still doesn't answer the basic question though. They get close to addressing it with the SC woman but then they fail. What does "her pay jumped $1000" mean? Is that per year? Per month? Biweekly? In any event, her pay increased but she kept the withholding the same, of course that's going to affect her refund. My pay increased in 2018 but so did my withholdings...

prizrak

Forum Addict
Car(s)
11 Xterra Pro-4x, 12 'stang GT
Problem is not Trump's pay cuts or changes in deductions, problem is ridiculously overcomplicated tax code. Unless you do a ton of research or actually consult with a CPA it's very difficult to properly set up your exemptions. Additionally if that lady expected her tax returns to pay for her property taxes, she is doing it wrong.

GRtak

Forum Addict
That still doesn't answer the basic question though. They get close to addressing it with the SC woman but then they fail. What does "her pay jumped $1000" mean? Is that per year? Per month? Biweekly? In any event, her pay increased but she kept the withholding the same, of course that's going to affect her refund. My pay increased in 2018 but so did my withholdings...
It clearly says "Her pay jumped $1000 for 2018". So that means she got a small raise and over the course of the year it adds up to $1000.

I posted this as an example of pissed, not for her exact story.

Blind_Io

DONOR
Car(s)
As would George Washington, Andrew Johnson, and Dwight Eisenhower.

avanti

Forum Addict
Car(s)
5 cars + 8 motorcycles
Instead of beating a dead horse, does anyone actually think that Trump will lose in 2020, the candidates so far are ridiculous, they don't stand a chance, Trump will tear them to shreds. It's like they all try to "out-left" each other, are they completely out of touch with reality?

How come no-one is clever enough to run as a moderate democrat? Its surely the only way to even stand a chance.

CraigB

Ich bin ein Kartoffel
DONOR
Car(s)
Infiniti M30 - Nissan Frontier Pro-4X & Altima
These are moderates. The problem is the Rebuplicans have shifted the field so far right that it's hard to know where the center is anymore.

Blind_Io

DONOR
Car(s)
That's just a waste of money, those are easily climbable.
As opposed to the other kind of fence/wall/barrier that has magical ladder repellant baked in.

So according to you, border fences are ineffective because people go over or under them. Glad you finally came around on that. Combine that with the fact that the vast majority of drugs come through ports of entry and that most illegal immigrants are here on expired visas...it's almost like this wall thing doesn't make any sense.

LeVeL

Forum Addict
These are moderates.
I disagree. The leaders of the left consist of people who call for open borders, 90% tax rates (Omar), 3rd trimester abortions (Schumer), gun confiscation (Clinton), reparations (Harris), communism (AOC), etc. JFK would be considered an alt-righter by modern progressive standards.

LeVeL

Forum Addict
As opposed to the other kind of fence/wall/barrier that has magical ladder repellant baked in.
Correct - there are designs with anti-climbing features (primarily arches at the top) that make it much more difficult to scale the barrier.