The Trump Presidency - how I stopped worrying and learned to love the Hair

For me, the discussion boils down to these two points, which I agree with:

Newsflash: Trump's use of language impresses no one. It's partly whether appealed to the masses - he speaks in dumbed-down terms. However, if he describes an intricate meal as "yummy", so what? The message is what counts and there's absolutely nothing wrong with the message here, even if the language is not up to your high standards.

Yes, what Trump wrote is essentially something you'd expect a 5th-grader to write, it's in stark contrast to his predecessor indeed. I'd expect more from the president of the United States of America.

Lev, I agree with you that the message he left was not offensive or wrong. But I also agree with marcos_eirik, that we should expect more from the U.S. President. I am no longer shocked by Trump's tone-deafness. "Murderers and rapists," pussy-gate, inciting violence against dissenters, mocking the disabled...he set the bar pretty low. You and other are right to point out that previous Presidents have not been particular friends to immigrants (Obama and Clinton) or women (Clinton), but they never sounded so insensitive and inhumane. It is about decency.

It is about the message, and the message that Trump constructed over time is - beat the hell out of those who are different or disagree with you, celebrate gladhanders. Just recently, the Trump cabinet praised the way Saudis treated Trump during his visit and the fact that there were no protesters (...because if you protest in Saudi Arabia you get your head cut off). His message is that it is awesome to be among friends, whether it is at Yad Vashem, or the locker room, or eating amazing taco bowls at Trump tower.

I'm not outraged by the note he wrote, I'm only disappointed by the way he is lowering the quality of public discourse and the norms of decency (in general). Historically, American kids look up to the president as a role model. I don't like the prospect of the next generation acting, speaking, and writing like Trump. "So sad!"

People already do.

"America first"

[video=youtube;-WqJkWntgSg]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-WqJkWntgSg[/video]

This further adds to my previous post about decency.

Is said that the Montenegro guy accidentally stepped on Donald's foot before the exchange.

We're trying to be angry at Trump over nothing again, stop bringing facts and logic into it damn it!

> Newest NATO member's leader accidentally steps on Trump's foot.
> Trump responds by pushing him aside.

Good optics, that one :rolleyes:

But whatever, more important things did happen:

Jared Kushner confirmed as the White House official reported last week as a person of interest in the FBI's Russia probe.
4th Circuit Court of Appeals upheld the lower district court's block on the travel ban, setting up an appeal to the Supreme Court.
(Opinion) Make no mistake: Donald Trump has fueled violence against journalists

We're trying to be angry at Trump over nothing again, stop bringing facts and logic into it damn it!

He's calling the Germans evil for selling cars in the US. Care to explain that? This idea that "freedom of choice, as long as it's American" is getting worrisome. You don't call other countries evil just because they do well in commerce.

Last edited:
He's calling the Germans evil for selling cars in the US. Care to explain that? This idea that "freedom of choice, as long as it's American" is getting worrisome. You don't call other countries evil just because they do well in commerce.

It has been leaked to journalists how completely oblivious Trump and his entourage still are about trade relations. For instance Trump's economical advisor Gary Cohn seems to believe there are different customs agreements between the USA and Belgium and between USA and Germany - completely unaware of the fact that both countries are members of the EU and that the EU can only make trade agreements as a whole. How can you have serious talks about important matters when one side is completely clueless about the basic facts?

As long as Trump and his advisors are that incompetent, his infantile way of speaking is the least of America's problems. After these disastrous meetings with EU and NATO leaders Trump's reputation here is even worse than before - if that is possible at all.

I wouldn't put it behind Trump that next he's giving the Queen a bloody nose while attempting to bow before here. And his comment would probably be: "Oopsie, I made a big doodoo."

Last edited:

The German Auto-industry also employs around 100000 People in the Us and is still growing in the country. American Car companies employ how many people in Germany now that GM has sold Opel to the french? Yeah, totally unfair :rolleyes:

And to finish this up with a Quote from March:
[...]Merkel, who presides over Europe?s biggest economy, can be combative on trade. After Trump suggested there?s an abundance of Mercedes-Benz cars on New York?s Fifth Avenue, she responded last month by noting the number of Apple iPhones in use at a conference in Munich attended by Vice President Mike Pence.
?We?re proud that we have good products, just as the Americans are proud that they have good products,? Merkel said.[...]
[...] For instance Trump's economical advisor Gary Cohn seems to believe there are different customs agreements between the USA and Belgium and between USA and Germany - completely unaware of the fact that both countries are members of the EU and that the EU can only make trade agreements as a whole. How can you have serious talks about important matters when one side is completely clueless about the basic facts? [...]
Yeah, this whole "splitting Europe up to weaken it" plan isn't really working out after Trumps ideologistic buddies Le Pen and Wilders didn't win their national elections ...

I remember how about 15-20 years ago people in the EU were talking about how Europe had to stick together in order not to get f*** by the Chinese or India concerning trade - these days Europe is reminded that it's not just China they need to be united against. Only when 500 Million Europeans stand together do they have the power to compete on the World Stage. Makes no difference when you're selling turnips - makes a hell of a difference if you have a industry.
Which is also why 60 Million People Market Britannia is going to be f***** post Brexit when dealing with countries like the Us, China, India or Europe.

Last edited:
Russian ambassador told Moscow that Kushner wanted secret communications channel with Kremlin

WashPo said:
Jared Kushner and Russia?s ambassador to Washington discussed the possibility of setting up a secret and secure communications channel between Trump?s transition team and the Kremlin, using Russian diplomatic facilities in an apparent move to shield their pre-inauguration discussions from monitoring, according to U.S. officials briefed on intelligence reports.

Ambassador Sergey Kislyak reported to his superiors in Moscow that Kushner, son-in-law and confidant to then-President-elect Trump, made the proposal during a meeting on Dec. 1 or 2 at Trump Tower, according to intercepts of Russian communications that were reviewed by U.S. officials. Kislyak said Kushner suggested using Russian diplomatic facilities in the United States for the communications.

The meeting also was attended by Michael Flynn, Trump?s first national security adviser.

The Russian connections seem to be forming a web.

I'm sure there might be an explanation for this. But why do we bother to monitor a channel that we know the Russians know that we are listening in on.

So, during the G7 meet today, Trump was not using the provided translation services during the speech by the Italian delegate. As he spoke in Italian and Trump does not speak Italian, one can only assume that he does not give a fuck what his partners have to say.

[sarcasm]You don't need a translator, you just follow the hand gestures, you know, very expressive. Good.[/sarcasm]

America, seriously, who the heck have you elected?

America, seriously, who the heck have you elected?

A known idiot and con man. I just want to take a minute and remind the rest of the world a majority of us are sane and saw through his bullshit; Hillary got millions more votes than him. But thanks to the archaic Electoral College, there were just enough idiots in key places to give this national embarrassment the election.

Wonder how those guys feel now.

It's safe guess that with his antagonizing behavior Trump is only achieving to bind the other contries closer together, creating a solid block of opposition against the USA. And more and more of the other state leaders will probably already think of how to go on without the Americans. Not publically of course but I'm quite sure they're already thinking about it. Because this cannot go on for four years without any consequences.

A known idiot and con man. I just want to take a minute and remind the rest of the world a majority of us are sane and saw through his bullshit; Hillary got millions more votes than him. But thanks to the archaic Electoral College, there were just enough idiots in key places to give this national embarrassment the election.

I know, and I understand the difficulty (we had Berlusconi, who was basically Trump v0.8, and I don't forget the laughings we had to go through, abroad, for having him as Prime Minister) it's more of a shock therapy to those who might still think him as a good idea.

I hope that even the last few Trump supporters in European politics are by now coming around to the conclusion that we have to isolate the damage that man-child is doing. Hopefully it can be done with few negative long-term effects, but until the US gets a sane leader, we may have to change our perspective.