The Trump Presidency - how I stopped worrying and learned to love the Hair

GRtak;n3550449 said:
You do understand that incarceration and detention are different things, right?

Yes I do but again it's using current laws with a new policy, not new laws.

It really seems like someone helped Trump get in charge, exploiting petty internal rivalries and greed, to allow for his complete obtusity, incompetence and lack of tact to do the work of weakening the US and getting it far from its own allies.

Blind_Io;n3550471 said:
[...]
http://www.businessinsider.com/donald-trump-gave-angela-merkel-starbursts-at-the-g7-summit-2018-6

Trump apparently threw Starburst at Angela Merkel and said "Don't say I never give you anything." This is being reported by multiple sources.
This is how we are being represented to the world.
German news coverage about this talks about Trump throwing the candy onto the table, not at her. And it's a joke. A bad one that shows how little respect he has for his biggest allies - but a joke no less. This is one of those stories that shouldn't be that big of thing. This is on par with GW Bush giving Merkel a Neck Massage 2006.
http://www.spiegel.de/international...or-s-neck-and-getting-an-earful-a-428852.html
Not that big of a deal ... just another one of the long list of small blunders. And I personally don't care much about the small blunders. Taking the first chance to pull out of the final Statement of the G7 - not over stuff that was in it - but over something someone else said that he didn't like. That's the big stuff. The man isn't even putting America First, he's putting his Ego first. Just one of many examples where he's shown that he's not serving the country. Throwing candy onto the table (or "at" Merkel) and trying to be funny ... I wish that was the biggest worry ...

On the table or at her, either way it is profoundly disrespectful and childish. It is probably even more mean spirited considering Trump only eats the red and pink Starburst, so in his mind, he's literally just giving her his garbage.

To be honest, that is my biggest concern with this presidency, the way he is handling international affairs can cause lasting damage. Domestic is much easier to fix after he is gone.

But now he's saying it to NATO members at the G7.

This seems to be the Trump doctrine: Insult your allies, and cozy up to autocrats. Remember, he will meet up with Putin very soon, probably to have Putin spank his ass with a copy of Time magazine with him on the front pagemake amends with him, and saying something like that about NATO would be music in Putin's ears.

Also, Justice Kennedy is retiring from the United Stats Supreme Court. This means, there will be no stifling now, like the did to deny Garland the seat to make Trump appoint Gorsuch. No need to wait for the "opinion of the people this time. The Congress Republicans will work in express speed to confirm a replacement to get him confirmed before the mid terms. Here's a guess: They will find a (relatively) young super-conservative that will last way past the Trump administration's life.

Whoever succeeds Trump is going to have a seriously tough job on his/her hands to clean up the mess and the damage he has made, if that is ever possible.

I wish the Supreme Court was above politicization. Judge selection should function similar to jury selection. It shouldn’t come down to the existing process. My rationale is the judges should be as apolitical as possible, and have the ability to put the law above their own personal politics. Ideally the Supreme Court should be there to enforce existing law, not make new law (that should remain the jurisdictions of another branch).

It is supposed to be, but the GOP began focusing on stacking courts at every level over a decade ago, same with local elections. They realized that by pouring money into local elections they could get their party into state houses and therefore control the voting districting;that means controlling the national election, which means controlling who gets appointed to the courts that oversee the gerrymandered districts and other GOP bullshit.

The GOP is Party above Country and has been that way for decades.

Blind_Io;n3550731 said:
It is supposed to be, but the GOP began focusing on stacking courts at every level over a decade ago, same with local elections. They realized that by pouring money into local elections they could get their party into state houses and therefore control the voting districting;that means controlling the national election, which means controlling who gets appointed to the courts that oversee the gerrymandered districts and other GOP bullshit.

The GOP is Party above Country and has been that way for decades.
Same can be said of the DNC really. Maybe they weren't as successful at it but where they are they do the same thing.

The Republican party is extremely blatant about what they are doing, where the Dems just tilt the floor a bit in their favor.

So what you're saying is that it's okay to do it as long as the people doing it are right?

No. But the difference between a slight slant, and the 45 degree hill the Republicans create is a drastic difference. Have you seen the way they drew some of the districts? It is a sham to say the least.

Then add in the way that they work to get people off the voters list. Not their people of course, but those that are more likely to vote democratic. That is not something that the democrats have even been accused of to the best of my knowledge.