Autoblog: The truth to where your tax dollars actually went

Wizegui

Car(s)
'93 Toyota Tercel, '01 Swagger Wagon
"E for electricity, V for Chevy Volt and me..." Catchy little diddly, sure. But we were mostly willing to let the Chevrolet Volt song make the deep, dark trek into obscurity with nary another mention. That is, until today. What made us change our tune, you ask? Boy, are you in for a treat.

Witness the Chevy Volt dance. Yes, it is an official routine apparently commissioned by GM. Showgoers that meandered near the GM area at the LA Auto Show may already be familiar with this little number, but the video's just too good not to share with the rest of the class. We especially like it when the four-person crew stops whatever they're doing to throw us an "E" and a "V."

Trust us. You owe it to yourself to click past the break and watch the video. Here's hoping The General antes up to send these dancers around the country for the rest of the auto show circuit.

[Source: GM-Volt.com]

[YOUTUBE]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xvwTMZNWGuk&feature=player_embedded[/YOUTUBE]

First of all, I hated the song when it first came out. People say that when you buy a Prius, you are also buying into the whole "smug factor" as well. With this, I think Chevy have just taken it to a whole new level. Instead of spending money to actually make the damn thing, they're spending on *this*. It wouldn't be so bad if the Toyota Prius plug in hybrid was going to beat the Volt into the market place for significantly less (even if it is a lease). No one is going to spend $40,000 on a Chevrolet. The ad with the dancing girls reminds me of the kind of ads that GM made in the 50's lol.

On the one hand, advertising is a messy business and a necessary evil.

On the other, I CAN'T GET THAT DAMN SONG OUT OF MY HEAD.

:blowup:

I can't bring myself to even watch. The first frame of the clip says it all....:tvhorror::unsure:

Seeing as to how I just graduated with a B.S. in Marketing, I can see where they're going with this. And that's the problem, they're going after the same "let's-hold-hands-and-save-the-world-while-singing-Cum Baya" crowd, i.e. the Prius crowd. They're not alone, I'm afraid. Ford's green-leaf marketing campaign is also squarely aimed at this demographic. As much as I personally hate it, I can't blame them. There is a sizable piece of the pie to be had here, they're just trying to capture their own piece. The song is kinda terrible, IMO.

ummmmm:think:

Why did we give these idiots money again? Did I miss Tesla's folk singers or something? Oh and when are they actually going to get one of these things on the road?

Seeing as to how I just graduated with a B.S. in Marketing, I can see where they're going with this. And that's the problem, they're going after the same "let's-hold-hands-and-save-the-world-while-singing-Cum Baya" crowd, i.e. the Prius crowd. They're not alone, I'm afraid. Ford's green-leaf marketing campaign is also squarely aimed at this demographic. As much as I personally hate it, I can't blame them. There is a sizable piece of the pie to be had here, they're just trying to capture their own piece. The song is kinda terrible, IMO.

The song may be terrible but it is annoyingly catchy, which is what they want to do: make people remember it, and go to work the next day going "have you seen that chevy volt dance?"

I'm sorry, but even Prius owners would look at this and just laugh. Who would ever approve of that??

The song may be terrible but it is annoyingly catchy, which is what they want to do: make people remember it, and go to work the next day going "have you seen that chevy volt dance?"

For sure, but in doing so they'll also "turn off" many people (like many finalgear members). GM undoubtedly know this, but it doesn't even matter 'cause we're not the target demographic anyways. It's all about positioning your product in the market place. I'm sure many people will respond favorably to this type of advertising. After all, we're obviously a bit, err.. biased on this forum.

Also, people shouldn't necessarily be complaining about "this is where my tax dollars went?", because if anything, this just shows that at least they're trying. Like I said in my original post, this endeavor is ultimately about profit. If GM honestly felt they couldn't at least break even with this campaign, they probably wouldn't have green-lighted it to begin with. The key word in that sentence being "felt", because it could also backfire on them, you never know.

Don't worry, they didn't spend that much of your precious tax dollars on it...I'm pretty sure the jingle is the Volt brochure with guitar.

And the dancer were picked at GM multicultural-pc-holiday-but-definitely-not-Christmas-party.

I hate you now...that is possibly the most annoying song I have heard in a long time...sounds like something a 1st grade music class would sing (which makes me understand why so much sound editing goes behind recording).

And I can't get it out of my head...

P.S. Someone save that crap, as I am guessing it will be removed in a few minutes, the future generations need to know how desperate GM was...

Last edited:
For your convenience, here's the antidote:
[YOUTUBE]UCBI0Ps2LmU[/YOUTUBE]

^I'm sure that was their inspiration.

Well, I mean... it's working, isn't it? We're talking about the Volt, right?

Stupid, but somewhat effective.

Honestly? They know their market. Well, the dancers are kind of inexplicable, but folky acoustic guitar music droning on about how green it is? They're gunning directly for those badly dressed people in coffee shops who constantly want you to save some endangered species and sign a petition.