The UK 'Rudetrip' Concept (Matt2k's Brain Dump)

@DaBoom had planned Swisstaly as most days being only 6-7hrs of drive time per day and with the FG crew even that was pushing it most days.
That was quite a small group too...
Balkan trip was 20 people in 9 cars and 3 or 4 bikes. Keeping the group together was virtually impossible.

Dealing with FG members, particularly in the morning:
giphy.gif

I mean, sure, but the promise of beer is usually a distant reward on roadtrip mornings.

I would probably tag on for the more northerly bits of the trip, my parents live up near Cock Bridge. :ROFLMAO:

Also, where you have Cairnryan as a scenic stop, there is a "Cock Inn" pub not a million miles away on the road between Stranraer and the tip of the southern peninsular. Or at least there was when I lived in the area a decade ago...

I'd be up for this as long as the driving hours per day isn't too long. If we have to break this up to two parts, I'd be ok with that.

I would probably tag on for the more northerly bits of the trip, my parents live up near Cock Bridge. :ROFLMAO:

Also, where you have Cairnryan as a scenic stop, there is a "Cock Inn" pub not a million miles away on the road between Stranraer and the tip of the southern peninsular. Or at least there was when I lived in the area a decade ago...
That would be great, we have experience with cars breaking down on UK trips so you would be fine. ?

Looks like the Cock Inn is still going, it has an active Facebook page and it has a great sea view. There used to be a Cock Inn here too until it was turned into a (quite good, I'm told) Indian restaurant. It's in the part of town where around 30 cars had paint stripper poured over them a few days ago. :|

If we have to break this up to two parts, I'd be ok with that.
You mean do the 'Hard Half in the Highlands' and the 'Soft Semi in the South'? :p

Last edited:
You mean do the 'Hard Half in the Highlands' and the 'Soft Semi in the South'? :p

YESSS :ROFLMAO:

Congratulations, you've named the trips.

I'm keen. Might have my own EV by then as well. ?

Depending on numbers you'd be welcome to drop by mine, but it's not the best for parking if there are a lot... Alternatively I could perhaps arrange a visit to a local private collection with 50+ classic cars and 100+ bikes instead, just a few miles from me.

Last edited:
Cue @Andeh buying a Studebaker Electric or something of similar vintage... :D

Also, all the yes to a visit to a classic car collection. :)
Detroit Electric! That would be more his style I think.

I honestly think we could make a roadtrip just in the bit of the country between Glasgow and Cumbria and still have fun, probably not with this idea though.

I honestly think we could make a roadtrip just in the bit of the country between Glasgow and Cumbria and still have fun, probably not with this idea though.
You absolutely can, Dumfries on the west and the borders on the east, down through Northumberland and in particular the Pennines around Middleton and Alston is all fantastic driving country and relatively forgotten compared to the big name areas.

Not many funny names though. ?

Not many funny names though. ?
You underestimate my power to find them. :LOL:

Northern Trip.PNG

Just something I threw together.

Other towns near the Northumberland route but not shown:

Butteryhaugh
Greenhaugh
Cottonshopeburnfoot
Troughend

Last edited:
You underestimate my power to find them. :LOL:

View attachment 3561066

Just something I threw together.

Other towns near the Northumberland route but not shown:

Butteryhaugh
Greenhaugh
Cottonshopeburnfoot
Troughend
You’ve made up the 3rd one. No way is that real. ?

You’ve made up the 3rd one. No way is that real. ?
It's true! Doesn't look like there are any signs around there though.

I spy Cockermouth in the south-west corner of that map too...
Yeah it wouldn't be much further, I was out of destinations and tweaking dots on this map though. There are a few tweaks I'd make including modifying the east coast part so it passes Bamburgh Castle.