The UK 'Rudetrip' Concept (Matt2k's Brain Dump)

What I've learnt so far is that I need to freshen up my knowledge of English slang.

What I've learnt so far is that I need to freshen up my knowledge of English slang.
Which parts in particular tripped you up? It might just be my terribly punny name choices. ?

Kendal, Scunthorpe, Butteryhaugh, Greenhaugh, Cottonshopeburnfoot, Troughend

Ah, well you aren't missing too much as they aren't all punny names.

Kendal is just a place.
Scunthorpe is... well... The C word.
The whores, er, haughs... are pronounced that way (at least everything I can find confirms this for British English).
Cottonshopeburnfoot is ridiculous without any rudeness.
Troughend just sounds dirty.

:LOL:

OK, I mainly didn't get the whores. ( :p ) And completely parsed past the cunt in Scunthorpe. :D
I didn't notice or could tell because its only been read and I don't know how the Brits pronounce "augh" and such.

I didn't notice or could tell because its only been read and I don't know how the Brits pronounce "augh" and such.
Let's get any Brits that turn up to the Google Meet on Saturday to pronounce some for us!

I don't think I'll be able to make it this weekend but I could give you a list of UK town names to decipher. Starting with Towcester, where Keely the Discovery died on the way to the first meetup point of the 2016 roadtrip.

I don't think I'll be able to make it this weekend but I could give you a list of UK town names to decipher. Starting with Towcester, where Keely the Discovery died on the way to the first meetup point of the 2016 roadtrip.

I had to read this multiple times before I noticed this wasn't about an actual person and not one of your land rovers. For a moment I was thinking "what the fuck?"

help me....

Well apparently it’s 7pm for you so booze is a possibility… and a reasonable excuse. :D

Well apparently it’s 7pm for you so booze is a possibility… and a reasonable excuse. :D

Would be a great one, but it's been a month since the last one...

No, no edibles or weed smoking either. I'm only adding this because it's legal here and wanted to cover bases...

Last edited:
These seem appropriate:

Everything about this is relevant to my interests.

I'm finally doing a variant on my Rudetrip idea tomorrow, a jaunt around Rutland, Lincolnshire, Cambridgeshire and Norfolk taking in the following places:
  • Bitchfield
  • Folkingham
  • Dyke
  • Deeping St. Nicholas
  • Gedney Dyke
  • Guy's Head
  • Docking
  • Cockthorpe
  • Hoe
  • Cockley Cley
  • Didlington
  • Feltwell
  • Three Holes
  • Ring's End
  • Upwood
This map won't make sense to most but those who rode their bikes up for the 2016 UK roadtrip might recognise this area of East Anglia.

1688470354067.png

Apparently Tom Scott and Matt Gray did this before I had a chance, but their trip was only very short. I'm claiming inter-Matt telepathy gave them the idea.

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GdxFY_wtiOI

Last edited:
Gosh, I wanna do the Rudetrip so much, haha.

100% Coco's balls approved.

Well the trip was a success, the weather wasn't as good as it could've been but we only got rained on once and we battled through with the roof down. I only got mildly damp. I also managed to get a slightly sunburnt neck, such are the perils of a convertible.

We drove through all the towns on the list, apart from Didlington which was supposedly down a dirt track I didn't fancy going down. Lots of interesting roads, some for all the wrong reasons! These areas circled below are banished from any future trips for being terrible. Really bad, like the apocalypse happened just before we arrived.

A23AC86D-C286-407B-8B17-623B1C8E17DE.PNG

They were much worse than they appeared on Google Street View, they're all Fenland roads and they're basically sinking into the bog. Speaking of Street View, I passed the camera car in one of the Norfolk villages. I wonder if I'll get on the pictures.

Edited video to come at some point, the first edit is still 40 minutes long!

Well the trip was a success, the weather wasn't as good as it could've been but we only got rained on once and we battled through with the roof down. I only got mildly damp. I also managed to get a slightly sunburnt neck, such are the perils of a convertible.

We drove through all the towns on the list, apart from Didlington which was supposedly down a dirt track I didn't fancy going down. Lots of interesting roads, some for all the wrong reasons! These areas circled below are banished from any future trips for being terrible. Really bad, like the apocalypse happened just before we arrived.

View attachment 3569795

They were much worse than they appeared on Google Street View, they're all Fenland roads and they're basically sinking into the bog. Speaking of Street View, I passed the camera car in one of the Norfolk villages. I wonder if I'll get on the pictures.

Edited video to come at some point, the first edit is still 40 minutes long!

Happy to hear it was actually good, I’ve had ideas of visiting European named towns in the US for fun but the drive there would be dull and I’m worried these will be just boring Americans towns with chain stores only.

I recently saw an Apple Maps car. Unsure if they do streetview, but if they do, you’ll see a brown Mercedes going the opposite direction near Bad Neuenahr.

The towns were interesting if not remarkable, other than the names most places just had a nice duck pond, maybe a fountain and some shops with funny names. Near the coast there was a small museum about the former RAF base we drove through (the road cuts through the old runway) but we didn't have time. I already knew the destination was good, having been there before.

In Europe at least, the trick is to avoid the main roads. FG roadtrips have always done well in this respect. In this trip there are only a handful of short sections where I'm on a major road that has more than one lane, this thankfully kept our time in traffic down to almost nothing but made what could be a 5 hour drive into just over 9 hours. The time goes much quicker when you're exploring somewhere interesting, I'll never get bored of weaving through British countryside.

So, the US. I know that New York state has a ton of towns with equivalents here in Britain, so for shits and giggles I just picked Leicester and Cornwall and set a route. It's completely possible to go between the two using only single lane/carriageway roads and strangely enough it's not far off the same time and distance as doing the same drive here, while avoiding motorways. It takes you dangerously close to the PA border, but you stay on the safe side.

Then you can alter the route to make detours onto smaller roads (a relative term for the US), like going up to the Rondout Reservoir, across to the brilliantly named Neversink reservoir and also around/across the Cannonsville Reservoir, which looks great on the Google pictures. Watkins Glen is on the route just by chance and there are towns like Coventry, Geneva, Godeffroy, Triangle, Long Eddy and Deposit that also just happen to be on the route. At one end you've got names like Marlboro, New Hamburg and Wappingers Falls which all make me laugh, at the other you've got Bristol, Naples and Warsaw that you could add on. Sounds like it could be a great trip.

Here's the route:
Cornwall (not that one) to Leicester (not that one)

Last edited: