The Ultimate macOS Thread

Mountain Lion and Safari (on a 13" Retina MBP) works fine. I don't have flash installed on Safari if that makes a difference.

Mountain Lion and Safari, works perfectly. Very weird..

I'm having some other issues with Safari though, after a while it fucks up some elements like gifs , text going invisible in comment boxes like the quick reply on here, stuff like that. A quick restart of Safari and it's fine again.
That was actually one of the reasons I stopped using Safari.

I'm having some other issues with Safari though, after a while it fucks up some elements like gifs , text going invisible in comment boxes like the quick reply on here, stuff like that. A quick restart of Safari and it's fine again.

Been using Safari on my old? MacBook for about a week straight now and haven't had any issues whatsoever. :dunno:

That's pretty weird, I'll try with some of the iMacs at the office to see! I'm sure the issue is with the website's code, but that shouldn't crash the browser :-/

Edit: Just tried at the office on one of the iMac, same issue. I also tried with the latest Webkit knightly build, same issue.
If it doesn't crash right away, wait something like a minute and it will crash. You can try to reload as well, that usually does the trick.

Last edited:
That's pretty weird, I'll try with some of the iMacs at the office to see! I'm sure the issue is with the website's code, but that shouldn't crash the browser :-/

Edit: Just tried at the office on one of the iMac, same issue. I also tried with the latest Webkit knightly build, same issue.
If it doesn't crash right away, wait something like a minute and it will crash. You can try to reload as well, that usually does the trick.

Nope, still works fine here. I refreshed about 20 times, leaving the page open for a few minutes between refreshes a couple of the times.

Then it must be my location! I know it sounds unlikely, but I've seen weirder things happening while behind the GFW :-D

I'll try from Japan in two weeks. (Holidays! Holidays! Holidays! Holidays! Holidays! Holidays! Holidays! Holidays! :banana:)

Thank you all for trying by the way :)

Can I use GarageBand's keyboard/synth sounds through a Yamaha keyboard?

I have a cheapish Yamaha keyboard, the built in tones suck. GarageBand has amazing tones. If I get a usb to midi cable, would I be able to use the mac as a sort of midi tone box? Is latency a problem?

Should work no problem. Latency is present somewhat, but with most MIDI adapters it's really negligible, only a problem if you get a crappy one. I used my Yamaha DTXplorer e-drumkit as a MIDI controller with GarageBand a while back, worked just fine.

Anyone here with a 13-inch aluminium MacBook? Or Macbook Pro?

Mine's the first ever generation to get the 13" Alu unibody (2008) so it isn't called Pro but it probably doesn't matter. They still make the same case today.

The thing is, the magnetic latch on mine isn't strong enough to keep the lid closed unless it gets help from gravity. If I hold it vertical, it pops open. I've been wondering about it for a year or two now. I'm not sure if they all do this or if something's slightly bent since the nasty fall it took a couple of years ago. The hinge feels flawless and it closes with a satisfying thud just like when I bought it in 2008. No visible damage on the outside either.

I don't believe that it uses magnets to keep the lid closed, when opening/closing mine it feels like there is resistance from the hinge itself kind of like a composite bow if you ever used one once you go past a certain point it releases tension but before then the tension is keeping everything closed. The only thing I could think of is that w/e is supposed to provide the tension is broken/loose.

Anyone here with a 13-inch aluminium MacBook? Or Macbook Pro?

Mine's the first ever generation to get the 13" Alu unibody (2008) so it isn't called Pro but it probably doesn't matter. They still make the same case today.

The thing is, the magnetic latch on mine isn't strong enough to keep the lid closed unless it gets help from gravity. If I hold it vertical, it pops open. I've been wondering about it for a year or two now. I'm not sure if they all do this or if something's slightly bent since the nasty fall it took a couple of years ago. The hinge feels flawless and it closes with a satisfying thud just like when I bought it in 2008. No visible damage on the outside either.

I would guess the magnet slipped.

prizrak, no it's a magnet for sure. It's still there and catches just fine, and just like every other macbook I've ever used. It just can't hold it unless gravity helps.

Maybe the magnet just lost some power, like the smart covers on the ipads? Mine comes off way too easily now, bought it with the ipad 2 back in the day.

prizrak, no it's a magnet for sure. It's still there and catches just fine, and just like every other macbook I've ever used. It just can't hold it unless gravity helps.

Maybe the magnet just lost some power, like the smart covers on the ipads? Mine comes off way too easily now, bought it with the ipad 2 back in the day.
My wife has same vintage aluminum MB and it doesn't seem to have lost any power.

My wife has same vintage aluminum MB and it doesn't seem to have lost any power.

So does mine, and it stays closed even if you shake it upside down (tested with her out of the room :p)

So does my wife, and hers stays closed even if you shake it upside down (tested with her out of the room :p)

I finally installed bootcamp on my MBP. Who would have thought it would be such a pain in the ass? I wanted to have Windows 7 installed on my 2nd 750GB HDD as there's lots of space as opposed to my main disk, which is a 250GB SSD. But installing bootcamp without superdrive isn't a default option on MBP, but it is on MBA. I spent maybe two working days figuring it out. It wouldn't even boot Windows from superdrive plugged in via USB. The way I finally managed to do it was to install a virtual machine in OS X and format the bootcamp partition to NTFS via Windows installer. Then I cancelled the installation and instead copied the Win7 installation disk into the bootcamp partition. Then I had to install rEFIt, in order to be able to force booting from the uninstalled Windows partition and was finally able to install Windows.

And after Windows was successfully installed, the endless updates came flooding in, requiring several restarts.

Last edited:
I finally installed bootcamp on my MBP. Who would have thought it would be such a pain in the ass? I wanted to have Windows 7 installed on my 2nd 750GB HDD as there's lots of space as opposed to my main disk, which is a 250GB SSD. But installing bootcamp without superdrive isn't a default option on MBP, but it is on MBA. I spent maybe two working days figuring it out. It wouldn't even boot Windows from superdrive plugged in via USB. The way I finally managed to do it was to install a virtual machine in OS X and format the bootcamp partition to NTFS via Windows installer. Then I cancelled the installation and instead copied the Win7 installation disk into the bootcamp partition. Then I had to install rEFIt, in order to be able to force booting from the uninstalled Windows partition and was finally able to install Windows.

And after Windows was successfully installed, the endless updates came flooding in, requiring several restarts.
It's almost as if your computer wasn't made to work with Windows :p

Not sure if this is an OS X question, but what the hell. It's an Apple question. :p

I just bought an Airport Extreme, the new one that looks like an albino Apple TV. Really neat little thing that does everything I needed and then some, and was easy as pie to set up. One thing has me confused though, and that's the Back to My Mac part of the settings, the box where you can enter one or more Apple ID:s. I find nothing in the little booklet NOR anywhere else that describes what this option actually does and how it differs from the "normal" Back To My Mac.

The Airport Extreme is at my parents house. I put my Apple ID into it, thinking that it would cause their computers to pop up in my Finder, just like my desktop mac pops up when I'm somewhere else with my laptop and hop on to a wifi. This hasn't been the case so far. I guess I could be missing a port forwarding rule but shouldn't the AE take care of that automatically if needed?

Or have I understood everything wrong?

Last edited: