The Ultimate macOS Thread

I've had the same problem too but it was only with YouTube's HTML5 player. It bogged Safari down and often made it crash. The HTML5 player that is used with clicktoflash never had any problems. I unenrolled from the YouTube HTML5 beta and just run everything using clicktoflash. Much better.

I've also only used the clicktoflash never the actualy YT player.

Have you got too much running, or not enough memory perhaps? Disc full or fragmented?

Well, I always have too many things running at once, but that's never an issue for the rest of the apps!

As prizrak and salguod are saying though, I suspect Youtube's HTML5 player is buggy.

That alone might be worth it to upgrade to Mountain Lion.

edit: Nevermind! Just found out my MacBook is "too old" to be supported, even though it has more than enough system resources to run Mountain Lion. Oh well, if Apple didn't make such a sturdy laptop that has lasted 5 years with no problems perhaps I would have upgraded to a new MacBook by now.

It isn't hard to trick the installer. Missing drivers can be an issue however.

Good point. I'll wait for Mountain Lion to be available for a while though, let everyone else figure out the bugs to make it work on older hardware so I don't have to :)

They've been MIA for quite a while now, we've tried to get some kits and parts for the original ModBook at my old job for the best part of a year without ever getting any response from anyone at the company!

Glad to see that they'll come up with something new, but that's the kind of behaviour that would make me quite scared of dropping a significant amount of cash in one of their products.

Not a big deal, but a sign Siri has a ways to go still:

I'm having a really weird problem with OS X 10.7.4 on my iMac. After clicking on a menu item on the top menu bar, the drop down menu that appears disappears instantly. This also happens when right clicking on the desktop or on an application in the dock. It's as if single clicks are getting counted as double clicks. Also sometimes, the curser just disappears. It reappears when moving the mouse, but keeps flickering. Heres a video: http://tinypic.com/r/2vxk9af/6

It's not a problem with my Apple wireless mouse, as i tried using a wired logitech mouse and had the same problem. Anybody have any idea what could be causing this? i noticed the issue yesterday after doing a software update to OS X 10.7.4, it's gotten really bad now. I can't use the computer at all!

Not a big deal, but a sign Siri has a ways to go still:

...YouTube video.....

That's really how Siri works on all platforms IMO. It doesn't always get it right, or even half right in some cases. :dunno:

Also, I think I have finally solved my Bluetooth audio issue!

I was getting massive static from any and all audio, so after fooling around with a thousand different settings I went the obvious route: moved my 2.4ghz cordless phone to the complete opposite part of the room and replaced my Linksys WRT54G (2.4ghz) router with a Linksys EA3500 (2.4ghz +5ghz) router. I made sure my MacBook connects only to the 5ghz network and now I get [almost] no static!

Hooray simple solutions.

Last edited:
That's really how Siri works on all platforms IMO. It doesn't always get it right, or even half right in some cases. :dunno:

Also, I think I have finally solved my Bluetooth audio issue!

I was getting massive static from any and all audio, so after fooling around with a thousand different settings I went the obvious route: moved my 2.4ghz cordless phone to the complete opposite part of the room and replaced my Linksys WRT54G (2.4ghz) router with a Linksys EA3500 (2.4ghz +5ghz) router. I made sure my MacBook connects only to the 5ghz network and now I get [almost] no static!

Hooray simple solutions.
Oh yeah those cordless phones are horrible, at my parents place I used to lose connection every time we got a call, it was like living in dial-up days all over again...

Land lines, nothing but problems :lol:

On another note, does anyone know the difference between the rainbow beachball and the blue beachball? I just saw it for the first time today, coincidentally it only happened while on Final Gear.

I think it is a Carbon vs Cocoa thing.

I've only ever saw the blue beachball in Java apps and applets and javascript scripts actually. Carbon usually used either the old wristwatch or the rainbow beachball of death.

Ugh. My third Macbook power adapter (it was the new non-T kind) kicked the bucket (wire frayed at the connector). Considering their cost I wish Apple would make better adapters.

Why not go to the Genius Bar and tell them? Its always worth a shot, they might replace it for free.

How have you gone through 3 already?

Too late I ordered a used one from Amazon for $30. I've had this Macbook for 5 years.

Ugh. My third Macbook power adapter (it was the new non-T kind) kicked the bucket (wire frayed at the connector). Considering their cost I wish Apple would make better adapters.

If the adapter is less than a year old, it's still covered under its own warranty, the only thing you need to do is find its invoice and go to the Genius bar with a Mac laptop than less than 5 years old (or at least not yet considered as "vintage").

It's over a year old.