The Ultimate macOS Thread

Welcome to the non-supported club. Which Mac are you using?

After looking it up you have the same Macbook as I do. Don't expect to run Mountain Lion. Not only will there not be a video driver, but EFI 64 is also required.

- - - Updated - - -

My Macbook is still running Snow Leopard as Coolbook won't run with Lion.

Ugh. The final nail in the coffin. Oh well, I'm stuck with Lion til the MacBook dies. I'm not replacing a laptop that has nothing wrong with it.

5 years (almost) strong!

After looking it up you have the same Macbook as I do. Don't expect to run Mountain Lion. Not only will there not be a video driver, but EFI 64 is also required.

It's already been installed on a 2006 Mac Pro (EFI32) thanks to Chameleon, granted it's easier on a Mac Pro since you can replace any incompatible parts, but that's good news for all unsupported Macs.

Mountain Lion installed on a MacPro1,1, here?s how to do it

Installed it on my MBP, Mini and the wife's MB, Messages has some nifty features like if you add Google Talk or some other service then iMessage the person and they later respond over GT (or AIM or w/e) it will actually append their responses into the same window very useful. Ability to transfer files to a screen shared machine via a simple drag and drop is pretty cool too. It broke Flash for me, had to install it again. Apple does fail at remote access, I don't have a console on my Mini at all and it was taking too long to come up so I plugged in a TV and a kbd/mouse and had to log in before I could actually use screen sharing....

Took a bit of fettling and a network reboot but I now have it installed - asked me to do an upgrade to iPhoto and iMovie as the first thing. Seems to have one or two little 'annoyances' but I am sure it is just settings.

Took a bit of fettling and a network reboot but I now have it installed - asked me to do an upgrade to iPhoto and iMovie as the first thing. Seems to have one or two little 'annoyances' but I am sure it is just settings.

Yep I had a few of my apps upgraded right after it, wish I could get a firmware update for power nap like the MBAs got :(

Oh forgot to mention, the oldest machine I updated is an aluninum MacBook I think its a late 08 model but not 100%.

Updated both my old MBP & late 2009 iMac yesterday, both updates were pretty uneventful. Both machines run a little quicker but it feels more like a dot update rather than a fresh OS.

That's what its felt like since 10.5

10.2-10.4 were like that.

Updated both my old MBP & late 2009 iMac yesterday, both updates were pretty uneventful. Both machines run a little quicker but it feels more like a dot update rather than a fresh OS.
Yes Paddy, I agree at the moment. I think that you need to start exploiting the interconnectivity with iPhone, iPad and use the iCloud to see this OS at its best - I have not got to that bit yet.

I'm going to be replacing my dying iPod Classic soon, but I keep hearing different reports on whats happening with the iPod Touch.

Some reports say there will not be any updates to the iTouch, others say it will be updated in September/Fall-ish. Does anyone here have any input on this?

Mainly, if its not going to be refreshed I'll buy one now (probably a refurb), if its going to be updated I'll wait.

edit: Found this link on MacRumors. I guess there will be another update after all.

Having the bigger, 4-inch display will be great. I rarely have my iPod in my pocket since it gets all of its use in the car or while biking/working out, so Apple can make the screen as big as they want. I'll be able to use it as a pseudo-mini-iPad while traveling too. My BlackBerry Bold 9930 does everything perfectly, but it does lack some apps, and the 2.8-inch screen is tough when using it for a long period of time.

The countdown til Fall is on.

Last edited:
@Phila no one really knows being Apple and all but I would suggest waiting for fall and new iPhone announcement, if they are going to be refreshing the touch at any point that would be it.

Hopefully they'll do something with the iPod Classic. I like mine but the hard drive is starting to go. I dunno, I should just buy one now, I'd honestly be fine with a 4th Gen iPod if the hard drive back then was big enough, all I do with it is play music.

I doubt they will really be touching the classic, for one you can't swap HDD for flash storage and keep the storage size + price the same. Also there isn't much of a reason for them to redesign it it has a very specific market segment in mind. I do expect them to pull it somewhat soon as the market for dedicated media players is kind of going away.

I agree that the market is just about gone for the Classic, but it does still exist. It has to be their least expensive iPod for Apple to produce. Plus, some people really do have more than 64GB of music that they want to take with them. Apple should at least update the firmware. Its been at least 3 years since the last time they even bothered to issue an update. Long before the screen on my Classic began to die the UI became extremely choppy and would lock up. Even if Apple didn't want to add any functionality to the device at least make it streamlined a bit.

I get that there's more money to be had by selling the Touch rather than the Classic, but Apple is alienating those who love what the iPod initially was.

I like the Classic still, I would honestly buy another one but I need something with Bluetooth.