The Ultimate macOS Thread

I'm slightly leaning towards getting a 13" Plastic macbook rather than a macbook pro...

The plastic unibody is $200-ish cheaper, and has a bigger 250GB hard disk compared to the 13" aluminium macbook pro. The metallic body, however, is teh sex.

Metal also won't break as easy. Other plastic models have been known to crack.

They might have fixed or tried to fix the plastic cracking issue on the new MacBooks though. Also I think it just depends on how well you look after it, my white MacBook which is 2 and a half years old has only just developed a crack on the palm rest.

Either way though, MacBook or MacBook Pro, both are gorgeous.

The problem atm is that there are so many laptops out there at much lower prices with better specs its hard to choose really.

The problem atm is that there are so many laptops out there at much lower prices with better specs its hard to choose really.

You get what you pay for. Even if you partly pay for the Apple logo, built quality also is a factor. From my experience the difference between "business/professional" laptops, be it any Apple product, Lenovo's ThinkPad line or the upmarket products from other vendors is that they are noticeably tougher and better-built than the "consumer" product lines, mostly because business laptops are designed for constantly being carried around, used at home, on the train, in meetings, in hotel rooms while consumer laptops these days are space-saving desktop replacements that are not thought to be used as portable computer every day.

And that's not even including the overspeced cheapo laptops that are offered at bargain prices. Of someone puts twice the power of a MacBook into a laptop that's not even half the price, he has to cut costs somewhere...

I just got the new MacBook last week, with the 2.26GHz CPU, 250GB HDD and white polycarbonate body. It's my first Mac. I must say it feels very dense and weighty for it's size, but then again I'm switching from a sub-3lbs 11" Vaio TZ. The construction and build quality is great, though the palm rests are probably not made from polycarbonate. I'm very impressed with the trackpad, which I use all the time. The gestures are an excellent touch, feels intuitive and really easy to get used to. Had it not been for the addition of the multi-touch trackpad on the MacBook, I'd have gotten the MacBook Pro instead.

I'm a heavy MSN (windows live messenger) user, and can't seem to find a decent application on the Mac for it. The MS one is like MSN 5 years ago, and the 3rd party offerings just don't have the same feel nor all the functionality of the windows client, like video chat and offline messaging. Maybe the only answer now is to wait till MS releases a good version of MSN?

Just a quick question regarding QuickTime on Snow Leopard, how does one select a bunch of videos and add it to the playlist? I know you can do that with VLC, but can you also do the same thing in QT? If I try selecting multiple videos to play in QT, it opens up multiple video windows.

^- regarding msn messenger: Adium is a good choice for everything except webcam. For webcam, there's only amsn, which sucks.

^ & ^^ - I second Adium, it works very well and is massively customisable. Though instead of amsn for webcam stuff, why don't you use Skype, it works so much better than msn for that sort of stuff. If your friends don't have it then make them.

Just a quick question regarding QuickTime on Snow Leopard, how does one select a bunch of videos and add it to the playlist? I know you can do that with VLC, but can you also do the same thing in QT? If I try selecting multiple videos to play in QT, it opens up multiple video windows.
Quicktime, for some silly reason, doesn't support playlists. :/

MS was supposed to release a new version of MSN messenger that included video chat this year. They said that back in January. Nothing yet.

MS was supposed to release a new version of MSN messenger that included video chat this year. They said that back in January. Nothing yet.

The current version of MSN:Mac includes video chat, but it's only for "Corporate" clients. What the fuck kind of shit is that?

The current version of MSN:Mac includes video chat, but it's only for "Corporate" clients. What the fuck kind of shit is that?

I know but the one that MS announced in January included video chat for non-corporate clients. Again, they haven't said anything about it since January at Macworld.

You get what you pay for. Even if you partly pay for the Apple logo, built quality also is a factor. From my experience the difference between "business/professional" laptops, be it any Apple product, Lenovo's ThinkPad line or the upmarket products from other vendors is that they are noticeably tougher and better-built than the "consumer" product lines, mostly because business laptops are designed for constantly being carried around, used at home, on the train, in meetings, in hotel rooms while consumer laptops these days are space-saving desktop replacements that are not thought to be used as portable computer every day.

And that's not even including the overspeced cheapo laptops that are offered at bargain prices. Of someone puts twice the power of a MacBook into a laptop that's not even half the price, he has to cut costs somewhere...

I certainly agree on the cost cutting, which is why this time round I'm spending more money than I did on that stupid Asus last time, which comes back more broken than before everytime its taken in for a service.

I guess the dell (Dell Inspirion 13Z) I'm looking atm is tempting because it crams more ram and HD space into something a bit less money than the MB pro (ie Enough to buy an Android phone with the leftover :p). My other alternative was to get a Lenovo.

Thanks Dr_Grip, salguod and Clegko. Still haven't figured out how to set my MSN status message in adium, if it's possible. As for playlist playback, I'll use VLC for now, unless anyone here has any violent objections.

Looks like I'm thrown into the deep end of the MacPool, since my VAIO TZ has developed some problems with it's HDD, and my desktop PC mysteriously freezes about 3-4 times a day. I've got a 16 day work trip coming up tomorrow, and it'll be the acid test to see whether I can make the jump to Mac. Good thing I have Win 7 installed on boot camp.

Oh yeah, while installing Win 7, the wireless drivers failed to install. Managed to get it working by installing the XP wireless drivers from the OSX install disc.

Anyone know if the most recent Snow Leopard update freezes the hackintoshers out?

Still haven't figured out how to set my MSN status message in adium, if it's possible.

To change your status its easy, just click the drop down under your name, then go to 'custom...' type in what you want. Don't personally use the status thing much since I started using Adium, think it was because I had to select the specific one I wanted from the drop down list each time.

http://img697.imageshack.**/img697/495/screenshot20091110at185.png

I'm a heavy MSN (windows live messenger) user, and can't seem to find a decent application on the Mac for it. The MS one is like MSN 5 years ago, and the 3rd party offerings just don't have the same feel nor all the functionality of the windows client, like video chat and offline messaging. Maybe the only answer now is to wait till MS releases a good version of MSN?

Adium sucks ass for msn. It kills pretty much every good feature.
http://www.amsn-project.net/
You need to use the beta on SL but there's no issues with it.
custom smiley support better than regular msn, webcam, it even does the doodle thing.

Adium decided to reset my privacy settings each time I signed on, which meant I thought I was still under "Only allow those on my buddy list" when in fact I was allowing anyone. I learned about that the hard way.

I have no AIM application now. I suppose I could use iChat.. but come on, iChat blows.

iChat blows? How so? I think it runs circles around every other IM client, especially on Snow Leopard where it's got most of the things that where missing in old versions.