The Ultimate macOS Thread

If they locked it down they would do more harm than good.

I agree. In its current form, it's not a bad idea at all. Many flavors of Linux even come with automatic search and install software tools. But they are explicitly making OS X more like the iPad (even with fullscreen stuff which is just pointless IMO). I think, in Apple's ideal world, Macs would work exactly like the iPad. They've shown time and time again that they want control. Of course, such a drastic change has to happen gradually.

I'm not trying to say that this WILL happen, that Mac is doomed, etc. But would I be surprised? Not at all.

I agree with thevictor390. The plan is to develop OS X into being "App-centered", which means, a more-or-less closed system. Together with german police interpreting the law in a way that jailbreaking is illegal, i'll just get back to ubuntu, i think.

I probably wouldn't be surprised either, but it would be so stupid I have no words.

If it ends up like that, I have a very new 15" MBP to sell.

I probably wouldn't be surprised either, but it would be so stupid I have no words.

If it ends up like that, I have a very new 15" MBP to sell.

Well, 10.7 seems to be safe, we'll see what happens with 10.8. How long do you plan on keeping it? :p

I couldn't even justify that, for the money I got a much more powerful desktop PC and a netbook. As far as what I actually NEED, the netbook can do it all. The big PC is for gaming and is more comfortable to use for productivity as a side benefit.
I am sort of almost considering a replacement but there's no way I could spend $1000.
I can justify it only because I need my computer to not be a desktop and I need it to survive me dropping it on the floor from 3 feet up. When you get down to laptops that will do that and eliminate thinkpads because frankly I hate their damn touchpads then compare prices you ONLY have the MBP left

With the App Store coming to Mac OS and the whole thing going more and more into a closed system/cloud computing appliance, i think about going back to Linux.

If they locked it down they would do more harm than good.

I really hope they are not that stupid as they WILL loose most of their customers. I will also probably switch to linux if that does in fact happen but I have no idea wtf I will do for hardware then to meet my drop on floor build quality requirement. :( I guess I will have to build my own using the case for my current laptop....

I can justify it only because I need my computer to not be a desktop and I need it to survive me dropping it on the floor from 3 feet up. When you get down to laptops that will do that and eliminate thinkpads because frankly I hate their damn touchpads then compare prices you ONLY have the MBP left

I really hope they are not that stupid as they WILL loose most of their customers. I will also probably switch to linux if that does in fact happen but I have no idea wtf I will do for hardware then to meet my drop on floor build quality requirement. :( I guess I will have to build my own using the case for my current laptop....

My netbook is pretty sturdy but I'm not going to claim it to be as useful as a full laptop. As for losing their customers, I don't think so, they'll lose the more savvy users like us but not the people who buy into the whole "it just works" thing. Luckily, you can always install Windows or Linux onto your MBP. I find that option less likely to go away any time soon. I hope.

Well, 10.7 seems to be safe, we'll see what happens with 10.8. How long do you plan on keeping it? :p

a) Untill my inner geek wants new hardware
b) Untill His Steveness makes OSX a walled garden
c) Untill OSX drives me so mad that I need a Windows machine again

One of those. :p

My netbook is pretty sturdy but I'm not going to claim it to be as useful as a full laptop. As for losing their customers, I don't think so, they'll lose the more savvy users like us but not the people who buy into the whole "it just works" thing. Luckily, you can always install Windows or Linux onto your MBP. I find that option less likely to go away any time soon. I hope.

I'd like to think most people would be annoyed at no 3rd party programs.
I think my mother even would be and she still calls me to help her send email attachments
Maybe they could make 2 versions, one the ipad version and one the actual useable one.
They'd probably make you pay more for a working version though :|

When you get down to laptops that will do that and eliminate thinkpads because frankly I hate their damn touchpads then compare prices you ONLY have the MBP left

I will also probably switch to linux if that does in fact happen but I have no idea wtf I will do for hardware then to meet my drop on floor build quality requirement. :(

As long as Apple does not prevent it, the MBP can run Linux just fine.

Yeah but for 2500$ I would like a fucking operating system and full tech support with my purchase. What do you think the geniuses would do if you bring in a malfunctioning MBP that has linux? :|
I saw one try and help a guy find his music on a PC (iTunes/iPod support) and he COULDN'T FIND THE MUSIC FOLDER. :|
Are you shitting me? That's no better than the kids who were in my digital imaging class at community college who couldn't figure out how to do anything on the Mac. EVERYTHING IS BASICALLY THE SAME WITH DIFFERENT NAMES SDKHLHFGJLHFDJK. How are people that stupud?

The level of 'genious' in the geniouses does vary a lot. To put it that way. :p

I've met a handful of really smart people but a hell-a-lot of numpties in Apple Stores too. They all seem to follow the 'costumer interaction policy' very well but shouldn't Apple have stricter rules of how stupid it's possible to be in order to become a genious? :p

Last edited:
The level of 'genious' in the geniouses does vary a lot. To put it that way. :p

I've met a handful of really smart people but a hell-a-lot of numpties in Apple Stores too. They all seem to follow the 'costumer interaction policy' very well but shouldn't Apple have stricter rules of how stupid it's possible to be in order to become a genious? :p

Having applied for a BASIC apple job I am pretty sure the most important requirement is to be a fantard. I, who buy my computer on durability and processing power for the price, do not qualify. :lol:

Yeah but for 2500$ I would like a fucking operating system and full tech support with my purchase. What do you think the geniuses would do if you bring in a malfunctioning MBP that has linux? :|

Well, i'd just keep a small Mac OS partition on it in case there really is a hardware-related failure. And as long as it's a Linux-related problem, you'll find someone on IRC or in a forum who has a fix in less time than it would take you to drive to the Apple Store. The community is nothing less than awesome.

EDIT: That being said, i dislike the current Apple laptop's keyboards, touchpads and displays, so my next computer will be a ThinkPad anyways, be it one running OS X or Linux.

Last edited:
It's not linux failure I am worried about, it's a hardware being angry at linux or something. :(

I'd like to think most people would be annoyed at no 3rd party programs.
I think my mother even would be and she still calls me to help her send email attachments
Maybe they could make 2 versions, one the ipad version and one the actual useable one.
They'd probably make you pay more for a working version though :|

One clarification, it's not no 3rd-party apps. It's only Apple-approved 3rd party apps. Same as on iPod/iPhone/iPad.

And of course, it's hypothetical.

So only shitty 3rd party apps probably. I also assume I wouldn't be able to delete apple apps that I don't use (which is like half of them...)

Well the new MB Air definitely looks interesting and I'm sure they'll sell heaps of the 11" version. I've been pretty happy with my MB pro aside from the crap tech service (which admittedly was through a 3rd party, but still), but I'm not too sure I can see myself buying another mac anytime soon since so many programs I want are on Windows only. Bootcamp is not bad though, and for everyday tasks I just use OSX since it does everything just fine and gets better battery life than windows.

I am tempted by the idea of selling my MB pro to a family member since they want it and buying another 13" laptop, but I can't find much that compares with my mb pro without costing an arm and a leg (Fujitsu, I'm looking at you).

My current Scorpio blue HD is also very sluggish so I was hoping to upgrade to a Seagate Momentus XT hybrid drive but many people seem to be having issues getting it to play nice with OSX despite Seagate saying the drive is OS-independent and releasing an upgraded firmware for the drive. I guess I could get an SSD but I do want a fair bit of storage since I'm bootcamping. I've also been using hdapm to help reduce the HD spinning up but I'm not sure how thats going to affect my battery life since I just installed it yesterday.

Last edited:
Personally I would get the entry-level 13" MBP and shove an SSD in there, instead of the silly overpriced MBA.

The 11" MBA isn't too overpriced with a 128 Gb SSD. With pretty much all options, it's a bit cheaper than the top-line 13" MBP. It's all down to if portability tops performance.