The Ultimate macOS Thread

I've messed my iTunes logo up trying to get the original green one back, now I have .incs preview image. Nothing I can do will restore it, including reinstalling iTunes. What's wrong?

How did you mess it up?

You know you can change icons by dragging a pic onto the icon in the get info window. Have you tried that?

itunes-logo-150x150.jpg

Never had any problems with it, therefore never bothered.

Would the restore disk from a new mac work? Save me buying a disc when it will go towards Lion.

They don't work. Lion is a year away anyhow, just spend the ?25.

On the issue of batteries, I like to "break them in", as it were. That is to say, I'll charge a new battery to 100%, then run off of it until it's almost empty and repeat that cycle a couple of times. I also don't like charging half-empty batteries or charging them only partially. So far, that has given me excellent battery life on my mobile phone (2005), iPod 4G (refurbished, bought from eBay in 2006) and laptop.

So you basically drain the battery to 30% or so before recharging?

How did you mess it up?

You know you can change icons by dragging a pic onto the icon in the get info window. Have you tried that?

itunes-logo-150x150.jpg

Tried dragging it over the icon in the info window and it just didn't like it, nor did it let me restore the original that way.

They don't work. Lion is a year away anyhow, just spend the ?25.

Why's that? Even the ones from an air?

On the battery situation

https://pic.armedcats.net/t/th/thomas93/2010/11/08/Screenshot_on_2010-11-08_at_22.27.09.png

I don't have the air one, but I'm sure they are machine limited.

Though I do remember there being a text file you can modify to removed "banned" systems from the install. That was for 10.5 and before. Not sure if it is still the case.

So you basically drain the battery to 30% or so before recharging?
Nope, all the way down until the machine it's in tells me to recharge, which is typically less than 10%. After the break-in period, I do charge them sooner than that if e.g. I'm leaving my place, can't be bothered to carry the respective chargers and don't want to risk running out.

Last edited:
Battery is calibrated on the MBP, I'm fairly certain it will make no difference but we'll see.

How did you mess it up?

itunes-logo-150x150.jpg

Thanks for the tip, I made this my iTunes logo:

autojonas-rask-itunes-icon.png

Stops me from mixing up iTunes and Safari.

I have to be honest, thats an awesome looking logo, if I knew how to steal it and make it my icon I would. ;)

Does anybody have experience with this website? I want to save my SMS messages before cleaning up my iPhone but am a bit anxious to use an unknown website to archive my messages.

Nope, all the way down until the machine it's in tells me to recharge, which is typically less than 10%. After the break-in period, I do charge them sooner than that if e.g. I'm leaving my place, can't be bothered to carry the respective chargers and don't want to risk running out.

I always thought it was better to fully charge a device whenerver you can. For example I leave my phone connected to my charger everynight.

Does anybody have experience with this website? I want to save my SMS messages before cleaning up my iPhone but am a bit anxious to use an unknown website to archive my messages.

SMS are included in the backup iTunes makes when Syncing, i'd look into a way to extract them from there. This turns up as the first hit in google: - i bet there's something similar for OS X.

Were the battery a NiCad or NiMH this is exactly what you'd do to maximise battery life as it renews the crystalline structure on the plates within the battery. Sadly, it is a LiPo battery. With LiPo batteries the deeper you discharge them the faster they die, it's a hystertic effect.

:nod: older NiCd batteries that always are charged when they are for example at 75% charge will, after a while, only be able to go down to 75%.

Last edited:
I have to be honest, thats an awesome looking logo, if I knew how to steal it and make it my icon I would. ;)

Like hansvonaxion said, just drag it from the browser into iTunes Get Info window and on the little icon top left. ;)

Well, all I can say is that I've never had a Li-Poly battery give up on life. For comparison, my mother sometimes lets the one in her phone discharge until the very last "drop" and it's already lost more of its capacity than my five-year-old phone battery seems to have.

SMS are included in the backup iTunes makes when Syncing, i'd look into a way to extract them from there. This turns up as the first hit in google: - i bet there's something similar for OS X.
My laziness took over and I decided to use that site afterall. I'll let you (the thread) know if any of my contacts are approached by scary looking Russian mobsters.

Does anyone use techtol pro V5.0.7?

I managed to get a .dmg, but when I try to burn it using disk utility it fails to verify the DVD. I tried booting from said DVD, but it hangs at a blue screen after the grey apple logo startup screen.

Either the dvd is not compatible with your machine or the disk image is corrupted...

What do you need it for? In my experience with techtool, it's pretty much only good for doing hard drives surface scans, but that's it.