The Ultimate macOS Thread

The very first MBPs actually shipped with the DVI-VGA adapter.

I hate it too Kat... my mom bought herself a 37" TV while she's staying with me and it would be nice if I could just plug it in without any adapters. Stupid part is Apple sells the DVI-HDMI cables for $30, luckily I know better than to buy anything other than Apple products from Apple.

Yeah I can plug my old one into the tv with that adapter it came with but obviously I can't with my new one. I think what pisses me off the most is there are ONLY adapters and no cables. No mini display to actual cable. I considered buying the 30$ adapter but then I noticed all the bad reviews. If I want a POS I'll buy ones from china for 5$ thanks.

CoreAVC is the one thing I haven't tried because it isn't free and I have no idea if it will work. And yes, I recently found a solution to easily re-encode so it's not that big a deal anymore. Videos play fine at 1024x576 size.

It will work for sure, if you use it with The KMPlayer. And it certainly isn't free, but as always... ;)

Yeah I can plug my old one into the tv with that adapter it came with but obviously I can't with my new one.

But you'd have to use the VGA connection on the TV in that case. I think VGA can do pretty high resolutions, but with my Sharp TV back home it gave me lots of troubles and prevented me from getting the 1080p resolution I was after. I ended up just getting a DVI-HDMI cables (this was to use with my desktop that had only two DVI ports).

At any rate though, it was still better than having a Mini DisplayPort and no adapters shipped with your laptop.

Last edited:
My new TV has an actual VGA port on it so VGA is easiest. It only does 13something by 7something though which is kind of suck. I could try minidisplay to HDMI (which would be preferable since the bigger, nicer tv will probably allow better resolution that way) but I still need to buy the adapter AND cable and that really makes me angry.

Movist is incredible.

Sorry VLC.

That is all.

I said a "your mom" line to someone a couple of years ago. I found out his mom died almost exactly a year to the day before I said it to him.

I don't say that to people any more. Just sayin

That's up lifting.

... So how are them Apples?

I tried Movist for fun, I'm rather annoyed at the fact it unlike VLC will not stop the computer from turning the monitor off for battery saver. Since VLC has not caused any issues for me yet I don't think I'll be swaping

At any rate though, it was still better than having a Mini DisplayPort and no adapters shipped with your laptop.

One of the worst parts of the MB.

They screwed me out of $60, I have the mini-DP to Video and the mini-DP to DVI adapters, not to mention a DVI to HDMI cable which was probably another $40. An HDMI out would have saved me $100 and ridiculous cabling - the adapter is just long enough to hang off a desk and the DVI cable connection is huge and heavy and places strain on the connection, it's just a joke and they should all be ashamed of themselves.

Movist is incredible.

Sorry VLC.

That is all.

Agreed! My favourite thing about Movist, aside from the fact that it doesn't hiccup every five minutes, is that you can actually use the left and right arrow keys to rewind and fastforward.

The lack of such a basic feature annoyed me so much... I know you can do the three finger swipe to achieve the same effect on VLC, but it's not very accurate.

One of the worst parts of the MB.

They screwed me out of $60, I have the mini-DP to Video and the mini-DP to DVI adapters, not to mention a DVI to HDMI cable which was probably another $40. An HDMI out would have saved me $100 and ridiculous cabling - the adapter is just long enough to hang off a desk and the DVI cable connection is huge and heavy and places strain on the connection, it's just a joke and they should all be ashamed of themselves.

Agreed there as well. I didn't buy my current laptop blindly, I did my research... but I will never change my opinion about Apple being the grubbiest of all evil money grubbing computer companies. They find so many damn ways to extract every red cent out of your pocket.

Agreed there as well. I didn't buy my current laptop blindly, I did my research... but I will never change my opinion about Apple being the grubbiest of all evil money grubbing computer companies. They find so many damn ways to extract every red cent out of your pocket.

Yeah, Apple has been REALLY pissing me off lately. It's annoying they have not much competition in quality and are steadily getting worse.... :(

My new TV has an actual VGA port on it so VGA is easiest. It only does 13something by 7something though which is kind of suck. I could try minidisplay to HDMI (which would be preferable since the bigger, nicer tv will probably allow better resolution that way) but I still need to buy the adapter AND cable and that really makes me angry.
VGA should be find for your resolution (probably 1366 x 768). I've used it with my netbook to get 1920 x 1080.
Agreed! My favourite thing about Movist, aside from the fact that it doesn't hiccup every five minutes, is that you can actually use the left and right arrow keys to rewind and fastforward.

The lack of such a basic feature annoyed me so much... I know you can do the three finger swipe to achieve the same effect on VLC, but it's not very accurate.
On Windows this is alt+arrow or control+arrow depending on how much you want to skip. But these shortcuts can be customized to just the arrow keys if you wish. Not sure about Mac however.

VGA will go pretty high, but it starts to look like crap at the higher end.

On Windows this is alt+arrow or control+arrow depending on how much you want to skip. But these shortcuts can be customized to just the arrow keys if you wish. Not sure about Mac however.

Most probably the same on Mac. I knew I could figure it out, I just couldn't be arsed and wished the VideoLAN people implemented it themselves.

VGA will go pretty high, but it starts to look like crap at the higher end.

Yeah, it will... but if you have a nice TV you really ought to treat it well and hook it up with a proper connection. Most TVs specifically instruct you to hook your PC up via VGA, which is kind of dumb given many computers have HDMI out these days and if not you can use DVI which is basically HDMI minus the audio.

There really should be no reason to use VGA in my opinion... unless you're going great distances, a no-name DVI-HDMI cable should do you fine and cost $10 or less if you know where to look.

I assume the 42" 1080p plasma will support much higher res then the 22" 720 LCD that has the VGA though, so I would like the HDMI cord anyway.

Ha, I didn't even catch that when reading her post.

You might as well let her know that 1080p = 1920x1080 resolution and 720p = 1280x720 resolution.

Er, well my Dad is a Mac fanatic. He just got a brand new iMac 27" model. It was actually the floor model, but it was a lightly used floor model. His old 20" G5 iMac was a fire hazard apparently (the logic board already failed twice due to the capacitor issue) so my Grandma took him to buy a new one on Saturday when it snowed for most of the day. (Only dual-core processor though, but it's a nice 3ghz dual-core so it's nicer than my laptop (finally)).

He really likes it and how bright the screen is.

This is kind of related to the OS X type of thread right? I'll admit I was quite envious that he got a brand new computer, but his old one was 6 years old. O_O