The Ultimate macOS Thread

As much as I dislike it, I'm afraid even if they aren't currently, they will be. Some of it will happen naturally, as users' habits adjust (see below), but I see the cloud concept as the main 'threat' here. If at some point cloud mirroring or even primary cloud storage/booting becomes a reality, it would take a lot of effort and fiddling to keep certain things off the grid and below the radar. Basically, imagine your whole OS along with all your data being managed by a cloud-connected certificate/content verification enabled system, a hyperappstore. It could check legitimacy of all your apps and most of your media. While this sounds a bit far-fetched now, as someone put it, it could be the next power grid. You just don't question it, it is everywhere, and you have to be connected.
That's one of the reason why i'm switching back to GNU/Linux next month.

And regarding the 30% profit: It's not ridiculous, especially with ultra-expensive applications. Imagine Adobe switching CS6 to AppStore-Only distribution. They might lose 120 Euros per license, but will get rid of 99% of the pirating problem, which will double their sales.

Yeah I am pretty sure I will be switching to linux too. Not immediately, I like OSX so I am going to wait until it is actually ruined before switching but I figure it is inevitable.

That's one of the reason why i'm switching back to GNU/Linux next month.

And regarding the 30% profit: It's not ridiculous, especially with ultra-expensive applications. Imagine Adobe switching CS6 to AppStore-Only distribution. They might lose 120 Euros per license, but will get rid of 99% of the pirating problem, which will double their sales.

Not yet, enjoy the OSX. It's at the top of its form!

I'm rather positive that App Store in its current form makes apps easier to pirate. And there already are reports of forged purchases. If they introduce hardware protection, it could become much, much more complicated. But that will not happen in the foreseeable future, if ever.

Last edited:
Ah, forgot Shawn is Canadian, thought he was from somewhere in California :p The 'aggressive policies' point doesn't stand, then.

Nah, was just spending some time in California which is regretfully coming to an early end.

Not yet, enjoy the OSX. It's at the top of its form!

I have to replace my MacBook and i don't like Apple's current laptop lineup for a number of reasons, the keyboard being the main problem. Thus it's back to non-Apple x86 for me. I've set myself a limit of 12 hours for getting OS X in a reasonable resolution running with WiFi. If i can't manage that, debian unstable is the way to go.

So I thought I was on my neighbour's wireless inet, turns out it was mine - the firmware update wiped everything and put the airport express to factory defaults.

Retarded.

So I thought I was on my neighbour's wireless inet, turns out it was mine - the firmware update wiped everything and put the airport express to factory defaults.

Retarded.

Odd. Both my Extreme and Express updated just fine keeping their settings.

Lots of people have had trouble according to support discussions, and then other people have had no problems - that's often the case. Of course it may have to do with which version you were upgrading from, maybe your original settings, which model base station etc. I don't know.

It was actually really easy to put straight once I realised.

Lots of people have had trouble according to support discussions, and then other people have had no problems - that's often the case. Of course it may have to do with which version you were upgrading from, maybe your original settings, which model base station etc. I don't know.

It was actually really easy to put straight once I realised.

The apple support forums are a total waste of time, it's just filled with fanboys claiming your problem doesn't exist

I have to replace my MacBook and i don't like Apple's current laptop lineup for a number of reasons, the keyboard being the main problem. Thus it's back to non-Apple x86 for me. I've set myself a limit of 12 hours for getting OS X in a reasonable resolution running with WiFi. If i can't manage that, debian unstable is the way to go.

That's funny, I'm the opposite - I don't much care for OS X but love Apple's industrial design on the MacBook Pros.

The chiclet keyboard style wasn't a selling feature for me, but have grown to love it since buying my current MBP (the first one was pre-unibody design with the regular laptop style keyboard, and a rather cheap-feeling one at that).

The apple support forums are a total waste of time, it's just filled with fanboys claiming your problem doesn't exist
Weird... the info I got there answered a lot of the questions I had when I was setting up my Mac. ;-) I haven't had any real problems in nearly two years, so I can't say whether or not they would have helped me with that...

That's funny, I'm the opposite - I don't much care for OS X but love Apple's industrial design on the MacBook Pros.

The chiclet keyboard style wasn't a selling feature for me, but have grown to love it since buying my current MBP (the first one was pre-unibody design with the regular laptop style keyboard, and a rather cheap-feeling one at that).

I am easily writing 3000+ words per day on my laptop (1000 words is the target per-day for my Ph.D thesis and i easily produce twice as much on FinalGear, in emails and elsewhere) so a not only good, but brilliant keyboard is a must-have for me. Both my old iBook G4 and my girlfriend's ThinkPad have keyboards that are in a different league than my non-unibody MacBook's and my Ph.D advisor's MBP's.

Last edited:
I am easily writing 3000+ words per day on my laptop (1000 words is the target per-day for my Ph.D thesis and i easily produce twice as much on FinalGear, in emails and elsewhere) so a not only good, but brilliant keyboard is a must-have for me.

Dej? v? :lol:

I've produced about 14000 words plus images plus proofreading in six days :nod: wouldn't have been possible without my trusted eleven-year-old no-name full-of-gunk keyboard :tease:

Until someone devises a buckling spring laptop keyboard, all notebooks will continue to suck for typing.

The awesome innovative touchpad is significantly less awesome when you have bandaged fingertips and can no longer use expose :cry:

I need the one that makes the desktop visible though :( Messed up fingers make fn + something require too hands too.

I am easily writing 3000+ words per day on my laptop (1000 words is the target per-day for my Ph.D thesis and i easily produce twice as much on FinalGear, in emails and elsewhere) so a not only good, but brilliant keyboard is a must-have for me. Both my old iBook G4 and my girlfriend's ThinkPad have keyboards that are in a different league than my non-unibody MacBook's and my Ph.D advisor's MBP's.

Like I was saying, the pre-unibody MBP keyboards are actually pretty lame for an expensive laptop. But it seems like keyboards are rather subjective anyway, I totally hate the buckling spring IBM Model M keyboards so I guess it's a case of to each their own.

I used to think Thinkpad's had the best laptop keyboards but the chiclet style on the newer Apples has changed my views a bit. I still think Thinkpad keyboards are some of the best as far as laptops are concerned, I just never thought they could be matched until Apple and their chiclets.

Mac App Store is live, along with the 10.6.6 update.

Updated both my mbp and osx86 no problem. If you're on an osx86 with a 4xx Nvidia card, the tonymac drivers enabler won't install, so don't update just yet or you will end up with limited resolution one-monitor only graphics.

I updated my osx86 computer, a p55 motherboard, Core i5 with a GTX460 Nvidia card, successfully running fully accelerated on 2 monitors at 1920x1280. You have to be using a Mac Pro smbios.plist and then the standard Nvidia driver installer will work fine.