The Ultimate macOS Thread

Does linux have something to make it have expose? I like expose. I will miss that.
Most forms of Linux will have multiple virtual desktops. Plus you can customize nearly everything if you're willing to beat your head against it enough. Not sure about the other features of Expose.

Most forms of Linux will have multiple virtual desktops. Plus you can customize nearly everything if you're willing to beat your head against it enough. Not sure about the other features of Expose.

The ones I use most are show desktop (I know windows has had that forever as well) and the one that shows all the windows spread out so you can find things covering things. That's all I need to not become frustrated, but every time I use another computer I try to use those (and with the touchpad no less) and get angry. :|

On another note I was discussing school computers with a friend and remembered that there was an audio/video class with donated macs. I remember using it but never it occurring to me that it was a different operating system, and I was even fucking around with itunes playing music and shit. 3 years later in college I take the intro graphic design courses and for some reason a shitload of people were totally perplexed how to use the macs. :lol: How is that possible?

Does linux have something to make it have expose? I like expose. I will miss that.

It's called Compiz, and it supports expos?-like window tiling and whatnot, but like most things with Linux, it requires some playing around with the settings to make it act the way you want it to. It's built in to Ubuntu, but you'll need "Desktop effects" or something enabled, and you might need to fool around with compizconfig-settings-manager to get it enabled. See this Ubuntu Forums thread for more detailed info.

If you're using KDE, I really don't have any sympathy for you, but apparently Kompos? will do the trick. I think Compiz might work for KDE too, but I haven't dealt with KDE in so long that I really don't know.

Are you using a DSDT.aml for your computer or using enablers?

I created a custom DSDT.aml using DSDT_Patcher and (hopefully) removed all enabler/injector .kexts. Booting feels a bit faster now, shutdown still does not work (feels a bit like shutting down an ATX system with an older OS: The computer shuts down, but stays powered on), sleep still does not work either.

But looking for a Spotlight replacement for Linux i found out that Beagle is abandoned since 2009, MetaTracker does not recognize OpenOffice files (but MS Office, talk about priorities) and none of the solutions even tries to tackle searching e-mails, so i'll definitely give this OS X thing another try.

Last edited:
i gave up on the Hackintosh. It's not that anything really did not work at all, but a non-working shutdown, random audio problems when using headphones, random kernel panics when booting and just the general feeling that the smoothness i values OS X for is missing all rolled into one was too much.
So i switched back to GNU/Linux.

It's not that anything really did not work at all, but a non-working shutdown, random audio problems when using headphones, random kernel panics when booting and just the general feeling that the smoothness i values OS X for is missing all rolled into one was too much.

I hate to break it to you, but you just described the Linux experience. :p

if we are still discussing, OSX86 is not particularly Thinkpad friendly due to the lack in compatible drivers. I have installed 10.5.x numerous times and 10.6 once and although all these times it was successful, it was plagued with "essential" problems that turned me away from it. not to mention i got a smart error on a 500gb wd hdd i added manually on my x200 with win 7 and hackintosh and somehow the hard disk decided to end its life half a year since the install with a unfixable SMART error.

the errors i got plagued with OSX86 were wifi and graphics which is a serious blow as i need those two to work to even use a simple OS X version word and no internet means it has just become complete useless install (as no internet for research and such). I am now back to the stock seagate 160gb hdd with vista SP1 which has a whole load of problems on its own although running smoother than any other OS (except linux) on the X200 thinkpad. Now i'm just going to save money for a macbook Pro 15" with core i7, depending whether i get to save my money faster or Intel releases the fixed Sandy Bridge CPUs first.

Hey guys,

I just bought another 2TB external drive to use to back up another 2TB drive I already had. It currently looks likes this :

iMac --> 2TB Main Drive --> 1TB Photograph Backup from 2TB Main Drive

What I want to do is :

iMac --> 2TB Main Drive --> 2TB Main Drive Mirror
iMac --> 1TB Time Machine for iMac internal HD

I've tried to use SuperDuper to do this but it won't allow me as the original drive is formatted FAT32 and SuperDuper needs the drive to be formatted OS Extended.

As the first HD is my primary copy of all my work, I'm a bit apprehensive to move it onto another drive, format it and move it back in case anything goes wrong.

Any ideas ?

Create a disk image in Disk Utility then put it on the FAT drive.

That would be one bigass disk image, it would not fit on a FAT 32 partition!

If you create the image as a Sparse Bundle Disk Image it will work. While a Sparse Image is one giant file, a Sparse Bundle is a bunch of smaller files (8MB each) contained inside a folder.

If you create the image as a Sparse Bundle Disk Image it will work. While a Sparse Image is one giant file, a Sparse Bundle is a bunch of smaller files (8MB each) contained inside a folder.

Yep. That's what Time Machine does when it is setup to work over the network or tricked into using a non HFS+ partition.

I mentioned earlier that I ordered a OS X Snow Leopard CD to try and install on my laptop.
Well, it isn't going smoothly at the moment, I use iBoot to start the installation but whatever I try I cannot get past the Apple logo and loading gif. It either says I need to restart the computer (after just sitting there for a long time without the CD spinning) or when I run it in safe mode I get a black screen with some lines and "System uptime in nanoseconds:..." :( I am dissapoint, I installed the latest BIOS and should have compatible hardware but to no avail.

I know but in order to be able to actually boot OS X I had to have the latest BIOS for my system + change some settings in it :) Which clearly didn't work out the way it should've :p

Jens - have you tried passing the "-x" parameter in iBoot to start the installer in safe mode? Worked for me.

Yes, I've tried booting with -x -v -f, PciRoot=1, busratio=17 (this is specific for my CPU) :(

If you booted with -v, you should know which .kext (== driver) crashes your computer?