The Ultimate macOS Thread

Tried that before, doesn't le work.

:/ strange, wonder why they'd even offer os x as a choice then :p..perhaps apple.com?

Nvidia offers drivers for certain workstation cards. It just so happens that they work for some desktop cards as well (I use the Quadro drivers for the 460GTX card in my hackintosh).

Basically, there isn't a way to update the drivers other than when Apple decides to do so. If you really want to, you can try disabling the relevant kexts (look for things with nv in the name), and then reload them from the install DVD or something. I'm not giving you more explicit instructions because I've never done it, and I rather doubt it would be helpful anyway.

One thing that might help is making sure QI and CoreImage are working. Google around, if you can't figure out how to tell, I'll see if I can dig the info up.

OK
Something REALLY fucked up just happened

So i get up to get a snack and go to bring my laptop. It shuts off , while plugged in, with an 80% charge. I turn it back on and it wiped the history of my WEP password and set the clock to dec 31 2000.

WHAT

Also now it is doing the not charging thing again, so I think this is somehow related to the power plug thing.

Yeah, that sounds like a dead CMOS battery, combined with a wonkey power adapter.

Well, there is no CMOS battery anymore in the newer MacBooks, the main battery takes care of keeping the date in sync. When it's completely empty or unplugged it's going to reset right away.

I'd go have the power adapter replaced ASAP.

Corrupt data in the PMU (or however it is called on newer machines)?

Thanks for the help regarding the graphics drivers. Although I kinda lost interest in my problem now, as I have just picked up a 64GB 3G iPad 2 in black. :D

*Disappears for a few days*

OK
Something REALLY fucked up just happened

So i get up to get a snack and go to bring my laptop. It shuts off , while plugged in, with an 80% charge. I turn it back on and it wiped the history of my WEP password and set the clock to dec 31 2000.

WHAT

Also now it is doing the not charging thing again, so I think this is somehow related to the power plug thing.

I don't know much about MacBooks, but theoretically, if there was a bad contact between the battery and.... whatever the battery is connected to, wouldn't it match the symptoms? Not charging, can't keep time (no CMOS battery as stated above), shut off when unplugged. Basically it's acting like the battery isn't there at all (sometimes).

I'd go have the power adapter replaced ASAP.
I had it replaced about a week ago, so it is defiantly the computer not the charger.
I don't know much about MacBooks, but theoretically, if there was a bad contact between the battery and.... whatever the battery is connected to, wouldn't it match the symptoms? Not charging, can't keep time (no CMOS battery as stated above), shut off when unplugged. Basically it's acting like the battery isn't there at all (sometimes).
This seems much more likely, especially since I had my hand on the plug ready to pull it out when it happened. Time to back this shit up as they are probably going to mail the computer to california. <_<

At least they won't send it to Ireland, where Apple employs a bunch of Leprechauns that enjoy fucking up the computer while "repairing" (missing screws, scratches on the display, several-milimeter gaps between body parts).

:lmao:
Maybe they are drunk leprechauns?

No they mail ours to apple tech HQ where the employed probably think all the products are gifts from their god steve jobs.

I had it replaced about a week ago, so it is defiantly the computer not the charger.

This seems much more likely, especially since I had my hand on the plug ready to pull it out when it happened. Time to back this shit up as they are probably going to mail the computer to california. <_<

I tried to keep quiet but you've done it multiple times! DEFINITELY!

I'm sorry, I can't hold the grammar nazi in sometimes.

EDIT: a website for your perusal :lol:

http://www.d-e-f-i-n-i-t-e-l-y.com/

You know what happens? I misspell/typo it and do the right click spell check and hit the wrong thing.:bangin:

What do you expect? This is just an online message board. Nobody here is going to win the pullet surprise for their posts. Mistakes like spelling "definitely" as "defiantly" are pardon parcel with people who learn the language through talking and not through reading.

I could of made that same mistake if I hadn't learned these words by reading them. Sadly, people who don't read just can't cut the muster. Alot of people would just assume watch a movie instead of read a book and it shows in there writing. For all intensive purposes they are exposed to new words strickly by hearing them and they never learn the proper spelling -- It is simple cause and affect. If this subject peeks your interest there are lots of web sight's that can help you learn more.

I've come to turns with it, but the sad thing is that these loosers look like idiots. It's a doggy dog world and they're selling themselves short. One mispeled post to the internet and -- walla -- the whole world knows they don't read books. And there's no statue of limitations for Internet posts -- it will be in Google forever. What could be more important then that? I don't mean that there dumb persay, just that there supposably illiterate. That's not an ad homonym attack, it's just the truth. You might think that this is all just a mute point but I prefer to air on the side of caution. Common, if you don't think spelling matters you're diluting yourself. Don't be rediculous. Learning how to spell will go along way towards making your point. If you want to type a word and you don't know it's proper spelling just look it up on google. I could care less how busy you are, take the time to get it right!

I had a piffany about this: learning to spell words is a right of passage that is to important to skip. Take my advise: if you don't read you'll never be a bonified grammer nazi like me.

What can I say? People who can't spell "definitely" just demonstrate that ignorance is blitz.

What do you expect? This is just an online message board. Nobody here is going to win the pullet surprise for their posts. Mistakes like spelling "definitely" as "defiantly" are pardon parcel with people who learn the language through talking and not through reading.

I could of made that same mistake if I hadn't learned these words by reading them. Sadly, people who don't read just can't cut the muster. Alot of people would just assume watch a movie instead of read a book and it shows in there writing. For all intensive purposes they are exposed to new words strickly by hearing them and they never learn the proper spelling -- It is simple cause and affect. If this subject peeks your interest there are lots of web sight's that can help you learn more.

I've come to turns with it, but the sad thing is that these loosers look like idiots. It's a doggy dog world and they're selling themselves short. One mispeled post to the internet and -- walla -- the whole world knows they don't read books. And there's no statue of limitations for Internet posts -- it will be in Google forever. What could be more important then that? I don't mean that there dumb persay, just that there supposably illiterate. That's not an ad homonym attack, it's just the truth. You might think that this is all just a mute point but I prefer to air on the side of caution. Common, if you don't think spelling matters you're diluting yourself. Don't be rediculous. Learning how to spell will go along way towards making your point. If you want to type a word and you don't know it's proper spelling just look it up on google. I could care less how busy you are, take the time to get it right!

I had a piffany about this: learning to spell words is a right of passage that is to important to skip. Take my advise: if you don't read you'll never be a bonified grammer nazi like me.

What can I say? People who can't spell "definitely" just demonstrate that ignorance is blitz.
You sir are extremely adept at the art of trolling.

Bringing this post back from the shallow grave you people and your language-massacring dug for it...

I just successfully installed Lion DP 2 on my Desktop, and it seems nice enough. The only reason I'm dealing with it now though is because of the extreme instability of Fermi-based Nvidia cards under Snow Leopard (even in real macs). Luckily, there is a version of Chameleon that boots both Snow Leopard and Lion, so I can switch between the two as I get everything working, but accelerated graphics and networking work out of the box. Sound doesn't yet, but I think that's because I put my DSDT file in the wrong place :(

Does anyone know offhand any good resources for making a Hackintosh?

It's a Sandy Bridge with an Radeon 5750 that I have.

I was reading some stuff and it looks like you need the latest version of 10.6 for it to work on Sandy Bridge. I was hoping to 'try' OS X and see if it worked and how it ran before buying a Snow Leopard retail disc, but latest versions are hard to come by.