The Ultimate macOS Thread

Oh. Durp, I reinstalled so no it is not.

Oh look, now it is not better and taking up 1.5 gb again. :|

pfffft, you think your Photoshop has issues:

Ramz.jpg

Damn Photoshop, stealing all my ramz.

Fucking hell. Maybe I should be downgrading instead.

Photoshop seems to be the AOL of photo editing apps. A RAM hogging, process eating mess.

No wonder I haven't bothered to install it.

Even though the best I can do is crop a image......:lol:

Photoshop seems to be the AOL of photo editing apps. A RAM hogging, process eating mess.

No wonder I haven't bothered to install it.

Even though the best I can do is crop a image......:lol:

Not at all, it's the de facto professional standard. Can't say the same for AOL. And there are few equally capable alternatives.

I did cheat for that shot, I opened up 8x 8x15Mp panaramas at once with multipule adjustment layers.

It is actually quite nice on my system most of the time.

If you don't need the more advanced features, And are finding Photoshop slow/buggy, Why not try Pixelmator?
I do use a lot of the fancy features unfortunately.
I did cheat for that shot, I opened up 8x 8x15Mp panaramas at once with multipule adjustment layers.
It is actually quite nice on my system most of the time.
My screenshot was a 700x700 pixel picture with like 3 layers :| I am somewhat scared to open my larger files.

Not at all, it's the de facto professional standard. Can't say the same for AOL. And there are few equally capable alternatives.

No I meant in terms of how it just gobbles up system resources and how, at least in the early to late 90's, no one really considered MSN (no matter how superior it was/is...because believe me using both MSN kicks AOL's ass six ways to Sunday in terms of what they were/are doing with their software...) or CompuServe, net zero, earthlink, etc. as genuine competition to AOL. :lol: I know that it's the standard though, hence the word becoming a verb in pop culture. :p

Last edited:
Screenshot2011-10-04at30151AM.png

stare.gif
WTF is going on man

Is that only within Photoshop? Or is that occurring in other apps, os x itself.

I'd make sure your graphics drivers are up to date in any case, but if it's happening in more than Photoshop you could be experiencing graphics card failure.

Hmm, that doesn't look good.

Let's try something, download gfxcardstatus and force running on your dedicated graphics, if the issue stops then the RAM could be defective.

Is that only within Photoshop? Or is that occurring in other apps, os x itself.

I'd make sure your graphics drivers are up to date in any case, but if it's happening in more than Photoshop you could be experiencing graphics card failure.

It is only photoshop, only some of the time, and everything is up to date.

OH WAIT the problem is I am retarded. I forgot that I had this running because I have been plagued with photosensitive migraines lately and I couldn't stand the screen brightness. It was glitching because of that. I was thrown off because it was only doing it with a couple of files for some reason.

No wait, not retarded. Now videos don't work.

so RAM is defective then? >:

Last edited:
I think it could be, if you have some time on your hands swap one of the new stick with an old and test. Then swap the other one (always have at least one of the new one in), Both sticks shouldn't be faulty at the same time so there should be at least one combination that works fine. Identify which one's dead and have it RMA'd :)

Ok, bottom stick of ram under same glitchy conditions (I noticed the photoshop glitch happened consistently when opening screenshots) gives:

Screenshot2011-10-05at72937AM.png

Black squares with random rainbow pixels. Now I will try other stick.

Uh oh.
Apparently it is ALL THE STICKS. Not just the new ones doing that. Now I am really fucking confused.

Annnnd as much as I was praying this was software, photoshop, it's not. I booted off the backup of this harddrive that I made before playing musical RAM and opened a glitch file for this computer, my 2007 mbp doesn't glitch it. wtf do I do now?

Last edited:
Yeah it runs fine in the intel graphics mode but the same in dynamic and AMD. IDK WTF is wrong. I couldn't have possibly bumped anything important changing the RAM other than the actual slots but I already thought of that and tried with only one stick in each so it is not that.

Ok so that definitely means that the RAM is out of the equation, it already passed memtest and the Intel chip relies solely on the RAM.
At this point the issue is either Photoshop or the AMD chip. As you've already ran your backed up Photoshop, I'm afraid the answer is becoming quite obvious :-/

Let's try a few more tests before we arrive at any conclusions, do you have access to an external display? If so try to connect to it and see if you have the same kind of issue.
Also, have you tried booting in safe mode, as well as trying to create a new user to see if the issue happens with it as well?