The Ultimate macOS Thread

Got my Logitech Bluetooth audio adapter today! Sounds great, works with my Blackberry better than I ever thought, but it won't connect to my MacBook.

It paired with the MacBook no problem, but I can't get OS X to send the audio through Bluetooth. I've gone into System Preferences>Sound and made sure everything was the way it should, OS X recognizes the adapter, but won't send audio to it.

View attachment 6626

I've even gone into Utilities>Audio MIDI Setup to make sure everything is good there as well. I did get it to connect one time, I'm not sure how I did it but it did connect. I disconnected it to see if I figured it out and could get it to connect again and have had no luck.

Anyone with Bluetooth headphones or any other Bluetooth audio been able to figure this out?

edit: Also, when the MacBook rarely does say its connected (even though the Logitech adapter's connection LED says its not) after about 10 seconds I get this error message:

View attachment 6627
I had similar woes with my Plantronics headphones, I would suggest do a reboot and zap the PRAM, also it doesn't try to send audio until something is playing so connect and then open iTunes or something and play something.

Well after a lot of frustration trying to make sure everything was set up correctly, I started acting like a child and clicking everything I could.

I found that in the Bluetooth settings if I clicked both 'update name' and 'update services' in the options menu for the adapter that forced it to connect to the MacBook and now its working beautifully.

Screen Shot 2012-04-29 at 9.50.02 AM.png

If thats all I need to do to pair the two, I'm happy. Fingers crossed.

Well after a lot of frustration trying to make sure everything was set up correctly, I started acting like a child and clicking everything I could.

I found that in the Bluetooth settings if I clicked both 'update name' and 'update services' in the options menu for the adapter that forced it to connect to the MacBook and now its working beautifully.

View attachment 6628

If thats all I need to do to pair the two, I'm happy. Fingers crossed.
LOL yay! I never even knew of those options!

Just did a few tests with it.

First I disconnected and reconnected a few times to make sure hitting 'update services' is what is causing the adapter and MacBook to play nice. Then I left it connected for a few hours with no audio whatsoever being used with the MacBook to see if it would hold the connection and it has.

I'm extremely happy with it now. Having it wireless is better than I thought it would be. The quality seems like just a touch lower than having a hard line, but the difference is so negligible that it makes no difference. It actually works with my phone like they were made for each other. The second I turn Bluetooth on it is connected to the Logitech adapter, and I feel it actually sounds better than when I had the phone connected through a hard line. :dunno:

Just did a few tests with it.

First I disconnected and reconnected a few times to make sure hitting 'update services' is what is causing the adapter and MacBook to play nice. Then I left it connected for a few hours with no audio whatsoever being used with the MacBook to see if it would hold the connection and it has.

I'm extremely happy with it now. Having it wireless is better than I thought it would be. The quality seems like just a touch lower than having a hard line, but the difference is so negligible that it makes no difference. It actually works with my phone like they were made for each other. The second I turn Bluetooth on it is connected to the Logitech adapter, and I feel it actually sounds better than when I had the phone connected through a hard line. :dunno:
That's great glad it worked out for ya :) I'm a big fan of BT headphones myself, I have 2 pairs and thinking of getting another one :)

That's great glad it worked out for ya :) I'm a big fan of BT headphones myself, I have 2 pairs and thinking of getting another one :)

Everyone says that bluetooth headphones suck, guess not. :p

Everyone says that bluetooth headphones suck, guess not. :p
90% of them do, its very difficult to find a good pair. For some inexplicable reason companies like to fuck with BT headphones as far as the design goes and you end up with monstrosities like these:
S10HD_BLK_BACK_L3QTR_w-XP.png

Hugely uncomfortable because of very hard earbuds and despite being marketed as a "sport" headset nowhere near sweat resistant so they fail easily, also connection drops like nothing.
Plantronics-BackBeat-903-Plus-BackBeat-903+-img3.JPG
Nice battery life indicator for iOS but only one type of a tip, doesn't sit well in the ear so you can't get a good seal and not only ambient noise leaks in but you end up pissing everyone off with your Hanna Montana and My Little Pony sing alongs (or Russian gangsta rap, w/e your case may be). Also in my case they hurt the back of my ear, this is personal though some people have less sensitive ears. Also they would lose connection very easily when riding, not sure WHY as they would be connecting to a phone that was in my pocket but for some reason going over about 10 mph killed the connection...
cover.gif
Then you have this, everything seems ok but they don't seem to have any controls on them (that little pod is just a mic, unless the model was updated when I was looking at them they didn't).
backbeat-go.gif
These are actually pretty decent but they have a very low battery life only about 5 hours or so which is ok for a couple of days of train rides but that means a lot of charging. For some reason despite being a new product they don't have BT 4.0 which is supposed to be much better on battery.

The big over the ear types are usually OK but they are not necessarily the best thing to wear on your commute/excercize. I ended up with two pairs:
pulsar.jpg
pulsar590_stand.jpg
It's no longer produced and had a strange issue with iOS where it would not skip/rewind tracks despite other BT devices (like my headunit) having no problem doing that. But the battery life is epic (including stand by) and the charging stand is very cool, it also came with a male to male stereo wire that can be plugged into them to use them as regular wired headphones. Sound quality is pretty good and that little dongle was a godsend when the wife had to study but I wanted to watch stuff/play on TV. Plug the dongle into the audio receiver's headphone jack and bam wireless headphones.
hbs700.jpg
These are the ones I ended up go for as my "daily", 10 hour battery life (not great but gets me through the week on the train). The pods go around the neck (which can be a bit annoying in the winter) with the buds going into your ears like any other type of buds. All the controls are on the pods and they are very easy to swap between devices (important in my case as I tend to have my music on my phone but often will watch movies/shows on the iPad while on the train), if it can't find the last device it connected to it goes into pairing mode automatically. Sound quality is about what you would expect from good small headphones, has a bass boost option but honestly it doesn't do much good.

It is not about Apple not allowing third party Apps. It's about Apple deciding which third party Apps you might use.

As it is up to Apple and only Apple to decide what gets into the App store and what does not, the obvious popular choices like Adobe CS, M$ Office and StuffIt Expander will be allowed to the App store even if the break the rules.
Other not-so-widely-popular, yet beloved software like VLC or OpenOffice might be getting kicked out of the window.

"Apps that download other standalone apps will be rejected.", by the way, gives Apple all reasons it needs to ban any bittorrent client. They can't ban FTP, though, cause their web developer customer base would kill them.

Told you so!

http://www.apple.com/macosx/mountain-lion/security.html

That would mean the end of vlc or similar programs. It is not allowed in the iphone app store, because the terms of that store do not work together with the open source licencing.

It's just another step into the void. Next thing will be the "anywhere" option being removed, the step after that will be App Store only.

I don't see the anywhere option disappear, gatekeeper is pretty much in line with what I was expecting, by default it restrains users to the Mac App Store an signed applications, while the power user can still disable the option.
They can get away with not having the anywhere option on the iPhone and iPad, but not on the Mac, it's just not the same usage.

That seems like a slightly paranoid expectation to me.

If it happens, I'll be the first to jump ship, but for now it fits pretty well into their philosophy of making their software idiot proof. Locking out any 3rd party sources on OSX is damn near suicidal, very much doubt it'll happen.

That seems like a slightly paranoid expectation to me.

If it happens, I'll be the first to jump ship, but for now it fits pretty well into their philosophy of making their software idiot proof. Locking out any 3rd party sources on OSX is damn near suicidal, very much doubt it'll happen.
I'm with you on that, there is no reason for Apple to do that, it would alienate power users and would be generally impossible anyway since it could just as easily be "jailbroken" as the iOS devices. Keep in mind that OS X is pretty popular with the tech savy crowd as it basically gives you a UNIX system that you don't have to jump through hoops to set up...

is there a way around Apple's limit of what OS you can put on your mac. I will give you an example. I got a replacement Aluminum iMac 2GHz(early 2008) and while those models came with 10.4.10 yet, mine came with 10.5 and is not able to be downgraded.

"But, 93flareside, don't know that going back in OS's would mean less software support?" Why yes, I do.

Actually, the Early 2008 iMacs came with 10.5.2, the Mid 2007 iMacs came with 10.4.10. They are quite different and there is no hardware support for the 2008 machines in 10.4.

My mistake, I meant the 2007 model.

Ok, so a 10.4.10 disc from a similar 2007 iMac should do the trick.
The retail 10.4.7 won't work out of the box, but you should be able to install it using the Target disk mode and another machine, and then apply the updates to 10.4.11 manually.

I tried a MBP 10.4.10 disk. I can't imagine that would matter.