The Ultimate macOS Thread

I find it odd that you get either 1366x768 or whatever the hell the massive retina resolution is, nothing in between. If you don't have $2-3k to spend you're stuck with the absolute bottom barrel of display size?

I find it odd that you get either 1366x768 or whatever the hell the massive retina resolution is, nothing in between. If you don't have $2-3k to spend you're stuck with the absolute bottom barrel of display size?

You can spec a higher res screen on the 15" MBP still.
Apple Store said:
The 15-inch MacBook Pro comes with a 1,440-by-900-pixel LED-backlit, glossy display. You can also choose a high-resolution, 1,680-by-1,050 glossy or anti-glare display that gives you 36 per cent more pixels.

One thing I forgot in the questioning of Retina screen is the internet. iOS is mainly app driven so everything can get updated to use higher resolution pretty easily but OS X is more web driven and even with upscaling unless the sites themselves are made with that resolution in mind they just won't look quite as good.

The iFixIt teardown provides ample material for Apple haters as to why not to buy the new MBP. Sadly, they are down right now, but the breakdown is:
-Non-upgradable, soldered-on RAM
-Battery glued into the case.
-Properitary SSD connector makes SSD upgrades complicated, if not impossible
-Once again, a new power connector so you can't re-use any second power supplies you might have.

Oh, and then there's the display:
The display assembly is completely fused, and there?s no glass protecting it. If anything ever fails inside the display, you will need to replace the entire extremely expensive assembly.

The iFixIt teardown provides ample material for Apple haters as to why not to buy the new MBP. Sadly, they are down right now, but the breakdown is:
-Once again, a new power connector so you can't re-use any second power supplies you might have.

Oh, and then there's the display:
Yeah I read about it, this is the price you pay for thin and light high performance machine I suppose. Proprietory SSD connector is fucked up tho...

Yeah I read about it, this is the price you pay for thin and light high performance machine I suppose. Proprietory SSD connector is fucked up tho...
They could have not introduced a new power supply connector, as well.

That was sadly expected as already the case for the MacBook Air... I guess there's not much choice if you really want to go slim. Asus (and maybe others) does the same in their Ultrabooks actually.

That sucks, but to be fair this is going to be more of a pain in the ass for the service centres than for the users as the batteries they put in the machines are actually quite bulletproof these days.

They sell a pretty inexpensive and tiny adapter that allows to use an old MagSafe adapter. They could have included it in the box, but that would have been a waste for 75% of the people who only have one power adapter ^^

The display assembly is completely fused, and there?s no glass protecting it. If anything ever fails inside the display, you will need to replace the entire extremely expensive assembly.

No breakthrough on this one, that's already been the case since the 2008 Unibody MacBooks. Actually, since the mid/late 2007 MacBook Pros the display assembly was already a single replaceable part for Apple.

On other news, Mountain Lion DP4 is purring on my MacBook Air ^^

They sell a pretty inexpensive and tiny adapter that allows to use an old MagSafe adapter. They could have included it in the box, but that would have been a waste for 75% of the people who only have one power adapter ^^
They could just have kept the old format. IBM/Lenovo is using the same connector since the last century.

Additionally, I don't see the big deal about the "retina display". It's a higher-resolution display than available before, not different from the first laptops switching from 800x600 to 1024x768 (or even 1200x1024) native resolution. They just put a fancy name tag on it.

Last edited:
It's a pretty big deal because no one else can match it or even come close, but yes, it does not need a special name implying it's some sort of radical new concept.

They could just have kept the old format. IBM/Lenovo is using the same connector since the last century.

Lenovos are also as thick as bricks so they don't really need to trim the connector ^^

As for the retina, I'll reserve my judgement until I've actually seen one. I don't think my eyes are good enough to really notice a huge difference.

They could have not introduced a new power supply connector, as well.
Not too big of a deal IMO since you get a charger with the machine anyway and even if the plug is the same you can't always use it on more than one machine. For example my wife and I have same MagSafes but she has a standard aluminum MacBook so she can use my charger (85watt) but I can't use hers (65watt) because it doesn't have the wattage to run my MBP despite the plug being the same.

Additionally, I don't see the big deal about the "retina display". It's a higher-resolution display than available before, not different from the first laptops switching from 800x600 to 1024x768 (or even 1200x1024) native resolution. They just put a fancy name tag on it.
Retina is a marketing name really and a way to get people to excited but if you think about it no one complained about HD being used on everything even though 720p was pretty much normal (and even below normal) resolution in computer monitors for a very long time. It's not an insignificant jump though they more than doubled their highest resolution 15" model.

killpanda said:
As for the retina, I'll reserve my judgement until I've actually seen one. I don't think my eyes are good enough to really notice a huge difference.
I thought that about the iPad and holly crap does it make a huge diff, especially if you put the 2 next to the 3

Last edited:
Reading the Engadget review I think that its possible that new MagSafe was made in preparation for next generation of Airs. Makes some sense, change the adaptors now introduce slimmer Airs later that will actually need the new adaptor.

slightly off topic, i checked out the new ipad/ipad 3 w/ retna display this morning when i got off work. I really couldnt notice a difference, even with ipad 2 over on the next table.

As for the new retna display on the MBP, i'm hoping it'll "inspire" (read: force) more PC makers to return high resolution display options to their laptops again. I remember the "good old days" when even some of the lowest trim Inspirons or Pavilions could be ordered with a real estate maximizing high resolution panel, instead of being stuck with this 1336x768 garbage even on 800+ dollar systems.

slightly off topic, i checked out the new ipad/ipad 3 w/ retna display this morning when i got off work. I really couldnt notice a difference, even with ipad 2 over on the next table.

I suggest going to an eye doctor stat.... (though that would explain why you thought Saturn was good looking).

I suggest going to an eye doctor stat.... (though that would explain why you thought Saturn was good looking).

Granted I was pretty much a zombie going in there (I forgot what I went there originally for at least 3 times...) so I wasn't looking under the best conditions. :p

Went to the Apple store today to bring my sister's MBA for a little fix. The new MBPs are out and gorgeous. The screen is phenomenal.

As for the new retna display on the MBP, i'm hoping it'll "inspire" (read: force) more PC makers to return high resolution display options to their laptops again. I remember the "good old days" when even some of the lowest trim Inspirons or Pavilions could be ordered with a real estate maximizing high resolution panel, instead of being stuck with this 1336x768 garbage even on 800+ dollar systems.

This man has a point. I remember reading a comment on some graphics designer or 3D blog some months ago about HD ruining displays for professionals because the available resolutions are stuck at 1080 HD format instead of offering higher resolutions for people in dire need of screen real estate. Apple re-declaring the resolution war is a good thing.

This man has a point. I remember reading a comment on some graphics designer or 3D blog some months ago about HD ruining displays for professionals because the available resolutions are stuck at 1080 HD format instead of offering higher resolutions for people in dire need of screen real estate. Apple re-declaring the resolution war is a good thing.

That's true also that resolution allowing for both the HD video and tools to be visible in software like FinalCut pro must be quite appealing to professionals. At the same time I would think that pro video/picture editors would go with an external monitor of higher res.

That's true also that resolution allowing for both the HD video and tools to be visible in software like FinalCut pro must be quite appealing to professionals. At the same time I would think that pro video/picture editors would go with an external monitor of higher res.
Even those external monitors are hard to come by in more than HD resolution, supposedly. Haven't checked myself.