The Ultimate macOS Thread

yeah, Crossover is only a commercial wine fork. It has better support than wine on Mac OS X so it does run a bit more programs but ultimately they are the same thing :)

I got free wine to work :D

I was trying to get visual boy advance to work because the mac one has no cheats and freezes on me all the time.

yeah nothing worked for me for some reason

If you seriously want to run windows programs on Mac OS X, i'd suggest Sun VirtualBox. It's not as elegant as (dar)wine, but at least it works.

@kat: About CrossOver not working... fuck that shit... different name slapped on..., this post is uninformed, offensive and adds nothing the discussion. The CrossOver guys did some pretty groundbreaking work when it comes to developing wine further and from my experince, all applications they say that work actually do work.

Congrats to getting vanilla wine to work, nevertheless.

It is the same program though. It actually mentions it on the official wine for mac wiki, it's a fancier version but it's wine. I'm pretty annoyed with all them right now though because now that I got that to work I can't even get it to open mspaint. <_<

I should just fix my stupid parallels partition even though it's annoying to have to use that much ram on such small programs.

Last edited:
It is the same program though. It actually mentions it on the official wine for mac wiki, it's a fancier version but it's wine.

As killpanda mentioned, it's a "fork", not unlike the diverse variants of BSD, which are all the same software, but completely different, so it's based on wine's codebase, but is developed independently of the open-source wine. But still, at least when i was activeley following wine's develompent, CrossOver's developers were among the main contributors to the main wine source. They don't share all their progress with the community, but a significant lot of it.

EDIT: You should really give VirtualBox a try. It's basically the same as Parallels, but free and a bit easier to set up.

Last edited:
actually it is slightly easier to set up parallels but I figured it out.

annnnd I can't make files go from windows to mac and back again :(
So much for that plan.....

Last edited:
yes it came with wine.

I just went back to parallels, it's a memory hog but at least it works.

Seems like a lot of work just to use a Windows application...why not use Boot Camp?

I very much prefer not needing to reboot into windows just to use one application!

I don't even have Windows installed on my MacBook :-D

The whole point of why I am going though all these attempts is using windows apps seamlessly.
I was hoping there was a way to do it without installing an entire other operating system and starting it up every time I wanted to use something dumb like mspaint, but apparently not. Parallels at least lets me save and open things in the regular folders on my drive so if I for example make some pixel art in paint and save to the windows desktop when I close windows it's on the regular desktop and I can upload it to the internet, send it to people, edit it further in other native mac programs etc.

No. Not for pixel art. I tried literally EVERY "mspaint equivalent" program and none are as good :(
The worst part is mac HAD their own mspaint once upon a time but that was so long ago I'd have to emulate that too.

Yep indeed, the 1.2 version was a bit more "pixel-friendly", but not by as much as I remembered and the newer 2.0 version I just tried is just not pixel oriented...

Not to sound like an ass, but if OS X is so great and the programs made for it are high-quality, why do people insist on using Windows applications? No alternative? Why use a Mac in the first place if the applications you want to use are available only on Windows? Seems like a waste of money on expensive hardware when you want to run MS Paint, lol.