The Ultimate macOS Thread

Not to sound like an ass, but if OS X is so great and the programs made for it are high-quality, why do people insist on using Windows applications? No alternative? Why use a Mac in the first place if the applications you want to use are available only on Windows? Seems like a waste of money on expensive hardware when you want to run MS Paint, lol.
Because, sometimes, we just want a program to doodle in. So far, no one has written a decent one. *shrug*

Not to sound like an ass, but if OS X is so great and the programs made for it are high-quality, why do people insist on using Windows applications? No alternative? Why use a Mac in the first place if the applications you want to use are available only on Windows? Seems like a waste of money on expensive hardware when you want to run MS Paint, lol.

Because all I miss is ms paint, which for the record in windows 7 has been ruined.

it's a paid app. :/

As are both Parallels and M$ Windows, with which M$ Paint comes included.

I'm pretty sure Photoshop will do anything you need for "pixel art" one way or the other, but admittedly, that's overkill...

Kat, if you are feeling adventureous, you could try to install an X Server for OS X (there's one on the OS X CD), install XCode and finally download, compile, then install XPaint, which is a X Window clone of M$ Paint.

EDIT: Even better, there's Paintbrush for OS X! (For those who don't get the in-joke, "Paintbrush" was the name of M$ Paint before Win 95). I just tried it out and it's just as shit as M$ Paint in any way i can imagine.

Last edited:
As are both Parallels and M$ Windows, with which M$ Paint comes included.

I'm pretty sure Photoshop will do anything you need for "pixel art" one way or the other, but admittedly, that's overkill...

Kat, if you are feeling adventureous, you could try to install an X Server for OS X (there's one on the OS X CD), install XCode and finally download, compile, then install XPaint, which is a X Window clone of M$ Paint.

EDIT: Even better, there's Paintbrush for OS X! (For those who don't get the in-joke, "Paintbrush" was the name of M$ Paint before Win 95). I just tried it out and it's just as shit as M$ Paint in any way i can imagine.
I had never heard of Paintbrush before, so I gave it a try. And yay, it's a simple, quick starting, basic drawing program. Me and my Wacom Bamboo are happy now!

Photoshop is awful for pixelart. Imageready works but it doesn't run so well anymore because it's not supported on new operating systems.
The paintbrush app seems to amazingly though, be one I hadn't tried because it's NOT ANTIALIS wow! :blink:.
I know I tried one called paintbrush, so either there are multiple diffrent apps or that didn't work/wasn't around when I originally checked.
edit: yeah this has only been around for a year, I was looking when I first got my computer and that was like 3 years ago.

Last edited:
Besides Onyx, what other "ccleaner" type maintenance packages available for OSX?

Besides Onyx, what other "ccleaner" type maintenance packages available for OSX?

What are you looking for that OnyX does not provide?

Kind of a big bump, but this is still the main OS X and Macintosh thread, right?

Well, I kinda like the new Macbook Air and thinking of finally replacing my trusty old 2006 Macbook. Just one thing, even the basic model with the 1,4GHz C2D would still outperform my old 2,0GHz C2D, right?

Kind of a big bump, but this is still the main OS X and Macintosh thread, right?

Well, I kinda like the new Macbook Air and thinking of finally replacing my trusty old 2006 Macbook. Just one thing, even the basic model with the 1,4GHz C2D would still outperform my old 2,0GHz C2D, right?

What are the other specs of the processors? It may not. Advancement has slowed drastically in the last few years.

Umm.. let me look up

old vs. new

L2 cache 4MB vs. 3MB

system bus 667MHz vs. 800MHz

But the DDR3 RAM, flash memory and Geforce 320m got to work in favor for the new one, or am I wrong? Don't know to much about this stuff. And I don't mean raw graphic or processing power, just your average day to day n00bfacedork kind of usage.

Average day-to-day usage often depends on the HDD's capability to do small random operations quickly.

If the new one is using a spinning magnet for an HDD then its HDD performance shouldn't be much greater than the old one's performance.

There had better be a pride of OSX Lions making its way to my office because my bloody work computer is borderline unusable and for some reason my company loves stupid Macs.

Then it will be massively faster. Sticking some SSD into the old one would make it massively faster as well though.

Actually I've been considering that as well. But it would feel kinda wrong to stick a 200? SSD in a Notebook that's worth just about 400?. And it has some other shortcomings; the battery isn't the best any more, so is the screen, topcase has a crack, and the old RAM, onboard graphics, it get's a bit warm and loud sometimes (even the HDD is a fairly new WD). Guess it's just time for something new. And I kinda want something new. :D

Personally I would get the entry-level 13" MBP and shove an SSD in there, instead of the silly overpriced MBA.