The Ultimate macOS Thread

Personally I would get the entry-level 13" MBP and shove an SSD in there, instead of the silly overpriced MBA.

A lot of ^

But mainly it depends on what you want. Sometimes you just want an Air and are looking for reasons to justify it :lol:

On the shoving-an-expensive-SSD-into-a-cheap-old-laptop... once you get a new laptop you can stick that SSD into the new one, so it is not an investment into that old laptop alone.

Please don't do that to me! I've been dithering for months between a new MBP, a refurbished or used MBP, some nice and reasonable Win7 portable, and just keeping the old fart or upgrading it with a SSD. I hate it! :lol: / :cry:

What to do depends on your specific needs and budget.

You will probably get the cheapest biggest speed hump from shoving in an SSD. Battery life will improve, but only slightly. If you worry about the display or battery dieing some day shoving in an SSD is no lost money because of reusability. You'd also get the inevitable magnetic HDD off the new laptop as an external drive :)

I like my new MBP :D
The air is nice but it is one of those things that I find not worth the price (as you can buy a bigger better laptop that is less cute and light) so I would say go for the MBP instead. The way technology depreciates I wouldn't bother upgrading a laptop as the laptop becomes worth less than the parts too quick.

Mmmh, basically I want a compact yet comfortable (so no netbook, I've been there) laptop with loooong battery life, excellent build quality and finish for less than a grand, and it should pack more punch than my current laptop. And if I spend that kind of money (which is a lot for me) I want it to be a bit.. well.. special (and no, I don't take it outside, so no Starbucks jokes there). Internal memory doesn't matter much, I've already got a couple of external storage thingies.

You could use that against buying any piece of technology :lol:

well buying no because a computer is rather important to have nowadays but upgrading? I don't think I upgrade any hardware on anything other than ipods because apple has a tendency to make new ipods worse in everything but memory and battery which are the things I can upgrade. :lol:

The "under a grand" does limit your choices quite severely.

Or around a grand, and there are student discounts and refurbished stuff. And I'd be somehow more willingly to spend 1100,- on a unibody Macbook than 800,- on a similarly equipped Acer or HP or something like that, just because I've been lusting after them since 2008 or when they came out first in 13". It's weird, I know.

But the really stupid part is that I'm actually still okay with my old Macbook: It plays music and HD movies, handles my files and torrents and I can write papers just okay. Dammit. I should just hold it together until the old one dies some day or someone throws money at me.

I never never never never never never never never never never never thought I'd say this.

I really want a Macbook Air. Specifically the 11.6." My netbook is starting to annoy the crap out of me with its screen size and slowness, but I love the portability.

There's one problem. My netbook was $200.

It would be so much easier if they priced it between iPad and real Macbooks or just plain ridiculous like the old Air.

I never never never never never never never never never never never thought I'd say this.

I really want a Macbook Air. Specifically the 11.6." My netbook is starting to annoy the crap out of me with its screen size and slowness, but I love the portability.

There's one problem. My netbook was $200.

It would be so much easier if they priced it between iPad and real Macbooks or just plain ridiculous like the old Air.

Yeah I'd love a little macbook air (an ipad could also be fun) but there is no way I could ever justify either of those things for that kind of money hence why I have a MBP instead.

Yeah I'd love a little macbook air (an ipad could also be fun) but there is no way I could ever justify either of those things for that kind of money hence why I have a MBP instead.

I couldn't even justify that, for the money I got a much more powerful desktop PC and a netbook. As far as what I actually NEED, the netbook can do it all. The big PC is for gaming and is more comfortable to use for productivity as a side benefit.

I am sort of almost considering a replacement but there's no way I could spend $1000.

With the App Store coming to Mac OS and the whole thing going more and more into a closed system/cloud computing appliance, i think about going back to Linux.

With the App Store coming to Mac OS and the whole thing going more and more into a closed system/cloud computing appliance, i think about going back to Linux.

Where does it say that you no longer can download 3rd party applications in Lion?

Yes this worries me. On its own it's fine, I'd even call it a good idea. The key point is that it's optional. I'm not convinced it's going to stay that way.

I'd wait until there is no longer a choice first.

Where does it say that you no longer can download 3rd party applications in Lion?

I'd wait until there is no longer a choice first.

The combination of this two posts is what it's all about for me. I'm not intending to wait until they locked it down when the writing's already on the wall.