The Ultimate macOS Thread

Just install Linux PPC on the box and leave the vintage hardware intact. Gives you more options when it comes to home media, brilliant support for USB audio dongles, etc, etc...

Fuck this computer's wireless card. I sit my old computer and my new computer side by side and hit the button on speed test. The old one is quite literally 10x faster.
And it's running the bootable copy of this one's hard drive. :|

NO WAIT
I under exaggerated.

2007 2.16 GHz 2GB RAM MBP:
1296273360.png

2010 2.66 GHZ 4GB RAM MBP:
1296273886.png

DKLHSFJHFGHJBFS

Oh, and here is if I run them separately:
Old computer:
1296285230.png

New computer:
1296288932.png

:|

Last edited:
Maybe the firmware for the card needs a re-flash...that's all I can think of.

Yeah something is bound to be wrong with it. Tho iFixit found that on their machine 2 out of 3 atennae were hooked up for some reason. Maybe same problem? Take it to the Genius bar have em deal with it.

Picking up on my worst-case szenario of Apple making the App Store first the preferred, then the only official (read: non-hacking/warraty voiding) way of installing software to computers running MacOS comes this op-ed piece from Security Week:
Andrew Jaquith said:
I predict that the increase in perceived risks to Mac customers will give Apple the excuse it needs to increase its control over the Mac software ecosystem, by moving ISVs to the Mac App Store. It is no accident that the theme of the upcoming Lion desktop operating system is ?Back to the Mac?: taking concepts that Apple employed successfully with the mobile version of OS X (iOS) and back-porting them to the desktop OS. One of those features is the introduction of the Mac App Store, an Apple-controlled storefront for selling and distributing applications. As with the iPhone/iPad App Store, Apple screens and signs all apps sold through the Mac App Store. This provides buyers some assurance that their apps are from known points of origin and that they don?t contain malware, such as the Mac Defender Trojan horse. I predict that once the two 500 pound gorilla ISVs ? Microsoft and Adobe ? distribute apps through the Mac App Store, Apple will announce that this will be the only mainstream way to install applications on Macs.
http://www.securityweek.com/dont-panic-over-latest-mac-malware-story

(An ISV, by the way, is an "independent software vendor")

Last edited:

Yeah something is bound to be wrong with it. Tho iFixit found that on their machine 2 out of 3 atennae were hooked up for some reason. Maybe same problem? Take it to the Genius bar have em deal with it.
It's been like a week since then. I have fixed it by now. It took a new airport card + wiping the preferences clean.

Picking up on my worst-case szenario of Apple making the App Store first the preferred, then the only official (read: non-hacking/warraty voiding) way of installing software to computers running MacOS comes this op-ed piece from Security Week:

http://www.securityweek.com/dont-panic-over-latest-mac-malware-story

(An ISV, by the way, is an "independent software vendor")

Not really surprising. Shame because I like OSX.

annnnd it jut dropped me again. FFS, if it does it again I will have to go back in AGAIN.

Have you tried repairing your permissions via Disk Utility when this happens? I know at one of my friend's houses, my internet always gets screwy there and usually when I repair permissions it takes care of it.

I've been backing the disk up every time I send it in, and if I try to do that with a disk with errors it fails. I can check anyway though.

edit: apparently it was not ok. This (hopefully) has fixed it.

edit 2: no, no it is not fixed. Also this hard drive (old laptop) is very clearly failing.
WHY IS EVERYTHING I OWN BROKEN

Last edited:
How do you get steam running properly in Mac? After tons of fiddling I finally managed to get it installed and ran it for the first time, but then after a reboot everytime I start steam it automatically updates again....

I tried some of the fixes on the steam forums (http://forums.steampowered.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1269939) such as changing the "firstrun" value in config.vdf, but I still have no luck...

It keeps screwing up for me and I have to totally delete and reinstall.

Tried doing that tons of times. Steam can't even detect my system configuration...

PacketCollision: How did you manage to upgrade your hackintosh? I spent about 40 minutes trying to boot a DP4 install DVD and got nowhere. Launching the setup from the dmg while booted into the macos didnt work as the setup did not resume after a reboot, and none of the boot CDs I have had a kernel compatible with the new installer. I found a big ass 20-step guide which went on to tell how I'll need two flash drives and a lot of terminal typing, but at that point I was certain I had better things to do with my life :D So, any advice? Btw, did the vanilla Lion pick up your 460GTX ?

On a side note, upgraded my mbp without any issues. Tuxera NTFS doesn't work (well, even MacFUSE is apparently still incompatible), default Folder X doesn't work, TotalFinder is acting a bit weird, Chrome crashes once in a while. Jitouch wouldn't recognise some (all?) of the gestures while in any space other than the first (main) one. Other than that, it's quite fine. Not that I'm impressed, though.

So I'm trying to find universal dock connectors for my iPhone 3G and iPod 4G, is buying a 3-pack (of each) through Apple really the only way? Buying just 1 over eBay is hardly any cheaper due to shipping costs internationally. :(

Got served a cease and desist by Comcast. I run peerblocker, but what else can I do to hide my ip address when torrenting? Any step by step guides to proxy or something like that? Will a private tracker keep me safe? Anyone have some invites to a totally secure tracker?

Uh, why post this in the OS X thread?