The Ultimate macOS Thread

March. Not old enough for this kind of loss. iStat Pro says 97% health and 106 cycles.

That's not a Lion fix, that's just an SMC reset that's only performed on Unibody machines with sealed batteries. That could however just do the trick on some cases.

Don't follow his instructions though, the proper way is to hold control-option-left shift + power at the same time until you see the magsafe light flash once, which should take about a second and not ten.
If your machine is one with a removable battery, remove it and hold the power button for about 5 seconds.

http://support.apple.com/kb/ht3964

just figured out my battery life is down from ~5 hrs to ~3.5 since Lion. This stuff is fixable when the updates come, yes?
What machine are you running? Is it the new MBPs with dual GPU? We had a discussion on that earlier it seems like anytime you start Chrome it kicks the Radeon on because it has Flash built in. I had the same thing until I got gfxCardStatus and forced it to run integrated until I tell it otherwise, now around 6 hours of normal usage.

Maybe I should do that, but in system prefs I've got it checked to switch to integrated. I'll try that though and report back.

EDIT: Installed and trying it out.

Last edited:
Maybe I should do that, but in system prefs I've got it checked to switch to integrated. I'll try that though and report back.
Apple's programming is weird, anything thats not Safari or Quicktime will cause the Radeon to run instead of the intel even though there is no reason to use Radeon for that kind of hardware accell.
It's working, but ZERO flash in chrome now. should I switch to mozilla or is there a fix for this?
I had that problem earlier today. Switch it to dynamic, do Command-Q on Chrome, then start Chrome again and set the gfx back to integrated only, should resolve it.

I'm curious FG, how many of you use anti-virus on your mac?

I have one for the purpose of occasionally confirming lack of viruses but not for a background scan sort of thing.

Don't use one, no current OS X viruses with automatic infection mechanisms means that there is no reason to run anything that does background scanning. Also IIRC OS X has included a built in A/V since at least Snow Leopard (might be even plain Leopard)

I have something called iAntivirus which hasn't picked anything up EVER. The IT lady at school said I needed it in order to get on the network. which is bullshit. so it's there, running in the background, for no reason.

The only reason to run an antivirus software on a Mac is to check files you get from Windows users and forward to other users for viruses so you won't unknowingly spread Windows viruses.

Don't use one, no current OS X viruses with automatic infection mechanisms means that there is no reason to run anything that does background scanning. Also IIRC OS X has included a built in A/V since at least Snow Leopard (might be even plain Leopard)

I equate that feature to MS's MSRT....catches selected, very important threats, but not designed for everything and anything.

The latest MacDefender variants require nearly no user intervention/authentication to install, it's literally a drive by thing.
One does have to step through the installer though....so in theory one could cancel if the buttons in the installer UI weren't swapped or all mapped to "next". One could Force Quit it too I guess

I have something called iAntivirus which hasn't picked anything up EVER. The IT lady at school said I needed it in order to get on the network. which is bullshit. so it's there, running in the background, for no reason.

It's not bullshit, IMO. While I'm sure you're quite savvy when it comes to computers (you're here after all :p) a lot of people aren't. One reason some Mac OS users choose to install antivirus is to avoid unwittingly passing on virus' to users of other platforms.

I Googled iAntivirus though, and oddly for this sort of thing, it only detects Mac specific threats. That's a good thing if one's concerned about overall resource usage but bad if one is trying to do the above.

In any case, we require that students install AV per our network policy, but don't force one choice or the other on users. I'm pretty sure that one doesn't even have to if they don't want to though. The one we install on our Macs and PC systems is Sophos. I haven't run it for home use but it seems to affect system performance very little, if at all.

Just get rid of it, how's she going to know that you have it or not?

Some schools use Cisco Clean Access Agent: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cisco_NAC_Appliance#Clean_Access_Agent to verify that the system's in compliance with their security policy (AV, Windows/OS X patches up to date, firewall status, etc.) before letting them have full network and internet access. If he removes it, he could lose connectivity until he re installs it and re validates his system.

The only reason to run an antivirus software on a Mac is to check files you get from Windows users and forward to other users for viruses so you won't unknowingly spread Windows viruses.

I agree. :)