The Ultimate macOS Thread

How many RAM can I have? I might as well get all the RAM so I don't have to waste time upgrading later.

I choose to interpret that as innuendo. :wicked:

I choose to interpret that as innuendo. :wicked:
x-all-the-things.jpg

In other news the RAM is apparently only like 50$ to double it. This makes me nervous as I thought it would cost more than that.

Memory is pretty cheap at places like Newegg.

What is difference between that and this other than being one thing?

Anyone noticing shutdown times are slower on Lion than SL?

Avoid the KVR series, it's crap and tends to not work properly on Macs, the KTA I've shown you works much better for just a few bucks more.

What is difference between that and this other than being one thing?
One's rated for Apple are typically tested with them and give you some assurance of working well.

I got my girl G.Skill set for her older MacBook works like a charm.

16GB kits are only available from OWC IIRC and cost like $1600. Regular 4GB sticks are cheap though, I believe you can get 8GB kit for your lappy for under a $100. (haven't checked prices in a while)
Anyone noticing shutdown times are slower on Lion than SL?
Hard to say, I rarely shutdown my machine so I don't remember how fast SL was on it.

After a solid day of Googling and trying to figure out various CLI tools (assuming I can even download them) in order to split some FLAC files into separate tracks I decide to play one of the CDs in VOX and while clicking around find an export option... It literally made m4a files out of the damn cue+FLAC... sadly it doesn't put metadata in there but that's easy enough to do manually.

Last edited:
Ok, so I have installed the RAM but oddness is happening
It says everything is fine. All 8 GB show up and say that the status is OK. I have no idea why the computer is lagging more than it did on 4 GB.

Oh I see the problem, or whatever reason Photoshop is taking up 3x as much RAM as it did before. WTF?

Nope. Everything is perfect and I double checked in the tech section before buying it. It seems to be running better now that photoshop is using 1.56 GB by itself but it is still weird that it would do that.

It opened faster but the actual drawing is giving a sort of lag I haven't seen in years or at least not unless I am running at 80% of my memory and significantly hotter than this. And never on a freaking 500 kb file.

I ran Memtest and everything comes up fine.
Screenshot2011-10-02at14452AM.png

Photoshop USUALLY uses around the same memory as firefox, which is usually 500-700ish MB. Now it is using like twice that. WTF man. Now if it was using more and running FASTER it would be one thing but it is lagging like fuck compared to normal. This is with a 1 MB file and I have been making 4 MB files lately and never seeing the fucking pinwheel that is coming up every minute now. WTF is going on?

The more RAM you have, the more RAM programs will use to cache things. Looks like you still have quite a lot of free RAM so it shouldn't be any slower though.

What RAM did you end up buying by the way?

The one you linked. If it was using more and being faster it wouldn't bug me but I am getting the damned pinwheel while using 2-3x as much ram <_<

everything else seems fine, firefox at least is faster. They occasionally freeze but it is at the same time as photoshop freezing.

Already tried :(
I tried wiping all the files and reinstalling too in case it was some cashe or preference issue. The only thing left I can guess is I am using CS4 which is 32 bit not 64 and it can't utilize the memory right because of that. I really don't want to have to upgrade though. :/

Yeah that would have been might next question.

Oh, did you disconnect the battery when installing the new RAM? If not, I'd recommend to do a PRAM and SMC reset.

PRAM: Hold Command-Alt-P-R at boot until it reboots on its own at least once.
SMC: Press Shift-Control-Option and the power button at the same time and release them at the same time after a second or so, you should see the magsafe light blink once.

Well. I see The SMC reset also resets the screen brightness.
:cry: my eyes.
It seems at least somewhat less hoggy (firefox is also cut in half for ramhoggy, down from 900mb when I restarted to 500 with all the tabs open)and is back to 800mb but still the same amount of laggy.

Maybe upgrading to a newer Photoshop could solve the issue, but I haven't heard of this kind of things happening when more RAM is added.

And it is JUST Photoshop. I just made something in illustrator without any issue. So weird.