The Ultimate macOS Thread

Oh my God! I've been using FreeBSD for years and it has sandboxing as well! Fuck obviously they are trying to trap me in! Oh and the sky is falling, damn you Al Gore.

Sandboxing is a well known security mechanism. Apple has been weary of viruses for a few years and is being extra paranoid. Nothing like an "AppStore spreading virus LOL" story to brighten up the PR department.

If modern OS level security mechanisms scare you, install Windows 9x and be happy.

Absolutely... this is only a GOOD thing. When you install an app, you will now know that it's not doing a lot of nasty things you don't want it to. It's not just viruses either.... think Skype sneakily adding plugins to your web browsers without even asking.

The only issue so far is that developers seem to have a hard time adapting to it as the range of stuff you can do seem rather limited. For a while the versions that will be available on the AppStore will have slightly limited functionalities while compared to apps downloaded elsewhere. Then again, Apple is still working on the matter, which is why the deadline has moved from Nov 1st to March 2012 :)

Wait... there's sandboxing and sandboxing. What I am worried about is stuff like: "We're on board with the approach that customers shouldn't have to care about things like where their files are."

I want to store my files wherever I want, I want to share them between applications, I want a computer not an app-device.

You'll be able to store files wherever you want, that's not the problem. Right now though it seems like inter-applications notifications is sort of compromised until devs find a way to make it work again.

It's only for apps purchased through the App Store, you can still install apps manually and they have no restrictions. Games will work, because games haven't required direct access to hardware since the original Doom era. Games just use OpenGL to talk to the graphics card through an API. In fact, the only developers who are likely to be hit by this are utilities that manipulate the system (Alfred is an example that comes to mind), and people who wrote their apps badly in the first place. I don't see a problem with it. People love to freak out when Apple does anything, but this time it's just not warranted.

Wait... there's sandboxing and sandboxing. What I am worried about is stuff like: "We're on board with the approach that customers shouldn't have to care about things like where their files are."

I want to store my files wherever I want, I want to share them between applications, I want a computer not an app-device.

You can store the files wherever you want. The sandboxing API forces the program to ask you where the files are when it wants to save something outside its box. This isn't just Apple moving this way, the *BSDs and even Linuxes have been going this route. It is an extension of memory protection.

Would a 12" Powerbook with an SSD be a suitable web browsing/word processing machine?

It would sluggish and you'd need to use Office '08 and other older PPC programs, but it would work. I wouldn't bother with an SSD unless you had one laying around.

I can't even find a new PATA SSD anywhere online, they all seem to be end of life... Unless you already got the SSD somehow, don't spend any money on a PowerBook, it's just not worth it. Plus it's a HUGE pain in the ass to open.

Is it bad that I want to order Lion on the thumb drive just to have an Apple branded thumb drive?

It'd clash with my Dell monitor. :p

I just ordered my new fully loaded 13" MacBook Air, paid by my company to compensate for the loss of my stolen MacBook Pro :)

Can't wait to receive it!

Now I just need to have my AppleCare cancelled and reimbursed from the old machine :)

I just ordered my new fully loaded 13" MacBook Air, paid by my company to compensate for the loss of my stolen MacBook Pro :)

Can't wait to receive it!

Now I just need to have my AppleCare cancelled and reimbursed from the old machine :)
Sweet!

I can't even find a new PATA SSD anywhere online, they all seem to be end of life... Unless you already got the SSD somehow, don't spend any money on a PowerBook, it's just not worth it. Plus it's a HUGE pain in the ass to open.

They're available, but the only reliable way of getting them that I've found is ebay. I have a 64GB one installed in my old PIII ToughBook, and it works perfectly. Check them out at http://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_nkw=kingspec+pata+ssd

but yeah, it's not worth it unless you already have one or the existing HD is dead and you can't afford a more modern computer used.

Last edited:
Just to be sure, run the GPU test of this tool (http://sourceforge.net/projects/pow-st/files/pow.zip/download) for a while, if the machine shows artifacts on the display or crashes within half an hour / an hour, it's definitely the graphics card for sure, in which case just don't do anything graphic intensive and you'll do fine for a few days. If it doesn't do anything wrong, it could very well be something software that's screwed up, but I highly doubt it is, sadly.