The Ultimate macOS Thread

I'm only talking about stuff you are done using, if I got some websites open in Chrome I won't kill it before putting the machine to sleep. Ditto for things that I always have running like Mail, iCal, Adium, etc...
That's the thing... I'm never really "done" with some sites. Some auto-refresh to update lists, some I refresh manually every so often... seeing what shows up as I scroll past. So web browsers stay open unless the system restarts or I get tired of waiting for stuff to come out of swap and want to decrease browser RAM use.

That's the thing... I'm never really "done" with some sites. Some auto-refresh to update lists, some I refresh manually every so often... seeing what shows up as I scroll past. So web browsers stay open unless the system restarts or I get tired of waiting for stuff to come out of swap and want to decrease browser RAM use.

Maybe it's a girl thing, wife is the same way her Google Reader list has thousands of items at any given time while I go through mine every morning in under an hour...

I never close my e-mail client. my browser, on the other hand, is closed when I am working. I don't need any extra windows to cycle through and I don't see the value in keeping a minimized window I won't need for hours.

I know this isn't part of the main discussion, but what make of RAM did you buy for your MBP? When I bought my 15" in December I intentionally didn't upgrade the RAM (because it was quite expensive and I got the high res display instead) so I could do it myself, and I was just wondering how much and what make would be best for it.

I got a "Patriot SO-DIMM 8GB KIT DDR3 1333MHz CL9 Signature Line for Apple" it might be this one. It cost about EUR 50 at that time, which I'd say is a rather inexpensive upgrade.

Very tempted by the new MacBook Air updates, especially as I will pretty soon no longer have a decent functional computer for private use. Now, just to wait until I can do my tax return- never thought I would say that haha!!!!

Mind you, educational discounts have gotten pretty slim in the last few years- get $50 off the Air and $50 off AppleCare- I remember when you got heaps more than that! Still decent they give you a discount at the end of the day though.

Very tempted by the new MacBook Air updates, especially as I will pretty soon no longer have a decent functional computer for private use. Now, just to wait until I can do my tax return- never thought I would say that haha!!!!

Mind you, educational discounts have gotten pretty slim in the last few years- get $50 off the Air and $50 off AppleCare- I remember when you got heaps more than that! Still decent they give you a discount at the end of the day though.
Around here educational discount is basically tax, discount is 10% tax is 8.75%. It's helpful when you buy a $2,600 computer though :p

Around here educational discount is basically tax, discount is 10% tax is 8.75%. It's helpful when you buy a $2,600 computer though :p

That is so unfair, especially considering they are cheaper over there in the first place!! : (. Thinking I will hit up the national electronics retailer (JB Hi-fi) with the education pricing and see if they want to beat it. They will often do so and throw in a few extras for free as well. Just have to wait until I actually have the cash in this case, as their AMEX fees (only CC I have) are ridiculous!!!

Now that Lion has been out awhile does anyone know how to restore Snow Leopard's expose? Mission control is a pile of crap.

Now that Lion has been out awhile does anyone know how to restore Snow Leopard's expose? Mission control is a pile of crap.

Afaik the only way is to go back to Snow Leopard.

Afaik the only way is to go back to Snow Leopard.

Pretty much, they took it away completely in Lion.

On a more random note I been trying to use Safari instead of Chrome because of some of the nifty features its getting in Mountain Lion the colorless interface is really boring and there are a couple of extensions that don't have equivalents yet :(

Mission control is vastly improved in Mountain Lion, it finally allows you to separate windows rather than having a useless stack for all of an application's windows.

Mission control is vastly improved in Mountain Lion, it finally allows you to separate windows rather than having a useless stack for all of an application's windows.

That alone might be worth it to upgrade to Mountain Lion.

edit: Nevermind! Just found out my MacBook is "too old" to be supported, even though it has more than enough system resources to run Mountain Lion. Oh well, if Apple didn't make such a sturdy laptop that has lasted 5 years with no problems perhaps I would have upgraded to a new MacBook by now.

Last edited:
I finally managed to solve the issue of laggy youtube playback in Safari (with playback in Chrome being perfect). First, I tried uninstalling Flash player, deleting anything Flash related in Library, repairing disk permissions and installing the newest Flash from scratch. This worked usually only temporarily before lagging begun again. The problem as I've come to realize was that I enrolled in Youtube's HTML5 beta, and after switching back to Flash, all of the lag was gone. I don't understand, I thought HTML5 was supposed to be smoother and putting less strain on the computer.. oh well.

I've pretty much never have been able to watch an "HTML5" video without lag or without freezing Safari for at least a minute. Not sure why...

I finally managed to solve the issue of laggy youtube playback in Safari (with playback in Chrome being perfect). First, I tried uninstalling Flash player, deleting anything Flash related in Library, repairing disk permissions and installing the newest Flash from scratch. This worked usually only temporarily before lagging begun again. The problem as I've come to realize was that I enrolled in Youtube's HTML5 beta, and after switching back to Flash, all of the lag was gone. I don't understand, I thought HTML5 was supposed to be smoother and putting less strain on the computer.. oh well.

I've had the same problem too but it was only with YouTube's HTML5 player. It bogged Safari down and often made it crash. The HTML5 player that is used with clicktoflash never had any problems. I unenrolled from the YouTube HTML5 beta and just run everything using clicktoflash. Much better.